Death Star Crane - part ID and build

Scott Graham

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm planning on making one of these in the near future if I can figure out one missing piece.

I know the turret on top of it is from a Yamato, but don't know which kit. I've asked Jason and he doesn't remember what kit was used. I'm hoping it's not the 1/200 kit because of expense, and because I think it'd be too big. I'm thinking it might be in the 1/350 range. Does anyone know what kit was used?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• P8260167.jpg
    P8260167.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 972
Last edited:
Re: Death Star Crane - part ID

It's definitely not the Tamiya or Lifelike 1/350 kits. By the quality of the moulding, I would say It's a Lindberg kit, but can't find any evidence that Lindberg made one in that scale.

TazMan2000

Here from my workchair I'd second Jason ..... pretty sure I put aside the Hasegawa 1/450 part aside as well ...... I also tested the Doyusha 1/250 part ... but that's way too big ... so definitely not the 1/200 Nichimo one :)

Thanks Niels!

Here from my workchair I'd second Jason ..... pretty sure I put aside the Hasegawa 1/450 part aside as well ...... I also tested the Doyusha 1/250 part ... but that's way too big ... so definitely not the 1/200 Nichimo one :)

Thanks for the help with the ID guys! I used the Hasegawa 1/450 part and it turned out spot on.

Now I'm trying to figure out what the arm-like part and the part attached to it on the right side. I've included a screen cap and a close up of Jason's build. His build looks pretty accurate, even if it isn't exact, to the original pic. Close enough.

The part with the cables/hoses attached to it looks like a brake caliper to me. Any ideas on kits? I've been looking for the part in 1/12 scale Tamiya race car kits that are known to have been used on ANH era models, but so far can't figure out the part.

I'll post pics of my build soon.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.27.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.27.15 AM.png
    300.1 KB · Views: 524
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.28.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 11.28.21 AM.png
    311 KB · Views: 547
Here's the build so far. I used a ladder from an AMT fire truck to make the ladder like the ones on the death star turret.

There's one big problem on it in that the hemisphere is super glued on a little crooked. Noticed that too late. I might try to un-bond it since trying to pry it off isn't working so far.

Attachments

• IMG_2974.JPG
    IMG_2974.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 538
  • IMG_2975.JPG
    IMG_2975.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 597
Here's the build so far. I used a ladder from an AMT fire truck to make the ladder like the ones on the death star turret.

There's one big problem on it in that the hemisphere is super glued on a little crooked. Noticed that too late. I might try to un-bond it since trying to pry it off isn't working so far.

I wouldn't worry about it -- the "slightly off-kilter" look is precisely what makes Star Wars props look so hand-made, artisanal, and "imperfectly perfect" in my opinion. Same with their asymmetric symmetry standard on left/right side of things. So unless it looks "seriously" out of whack (which in the pics you've posted I can't see), then I'd leave it as is.

Acetone isn't working to release the super glue so far. It's only noticeable directly from the rear. About 1/8 inch slant.

Good point about asymmetry. That thought had crossed my mind too.

Looking AMAZING Scott!!! Great job so far, love the ladder/walkway setup, but you've done really well capturing the look of the crane itself!!! TWO THUMBS UP!! (y)thumbsup

Well it's pretty much finished. The crane "cables" are F1 tubes with guitar strings in them so they wouldn't curl the wrong way.

I wanted to show it in place on a death star surface, so I ordered a tile combo from minifig that had a flat spot for the crane.

I tried to paint the tiles like I've seen in some close up reference pics of screen used tiles. The UP armor yellow color might be a little too yellow. I might go back and adjust it with floquil mud.

Some reference tiles I've seen also seem to have a black paint wash on them, so I did that on mine.

Man, this site can't handle portrait mode pics. It always turns them...

- - - Updated - - -

Some more pics...

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    923 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_3017.jpg
    IMG_3017.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 541
  • IMG_3016.jpg
    IMG_3016.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 525
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 532
  • IMG_3013.jpg
    IMG_3013.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 512
  • IMG_3019.jpg
    IMG_3019.jpg
    887.3 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_3021.jpg
    IMG_3021.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 507
  • IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 510
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 558
WOW!!!:eek STUNNING Scott!!! Looks absolutely great, love the creativity with the tiles in there!! I'm likely going to go the same direction you did with that now as well - very creative, and EXCELLENT display!! Congrats!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back