R.I.P. Toys R Us

Announced today they are shutting up in Aus, my local shop had already closed for shopping centre renovations 6 months ago anyway. There prices were known here to be a joke for many years, Lego was always at least 20% higher than Kmart, Target etc so I guess there business model was banking on ppl being blind.

- - - Updated - - -

From there facebook page "Gift cards and vouchers will be honoured provided customers spend an additional equivalent amount in store". So basically to redeem $100 voucher you must spend $200..... WOW

Ouch! That is bad enough for an adult but imagine a little kid trying to redeem what they thought was a gift.
Bad Form!

Last edited by a moderator:
there BLASTING a short cheap arse LIQUIDATION commercial "everything is now 40-60% off ".... and the fine print says "certain exclusions apply" :confused. im not even going to bother going to mine. this is so friggin sad... :(

there BLASTING a short cheap arse LIQUIDATION commercial "everything is now 40-60% off ".... and the fine print says "certain exclusions apply" :confused. im not even going to bother going to mine. this is so friggin sad... :(

Find those "exceptions" then challenge them on their posted signs all over the store that say, "nothing held back!" and let me know how that works out for you.

I can see the store from the freeway and on my way to work yesterday morning i noticed a line of people waiting outside the store. im thinking of going ahead and checking it out on monday morning as i have it off.... i will def post any "discussions" i have about there "out of business pricing" :thumbsup

well i went and checked it out. everything seemed legit, ALL prices were cut 30-40 and up to 80% all tho you had to hunt down a piece of paper taped to the rack and search the "original price" and then scroll over to "your discount". there were no big ticket items like gaming systems, electronics etc. there were cheap drones, some bare shelf's (even those were for sale) but it kinda looked like they had inflated the original prices?? either way i asked a checker and there "doors are open until everything is sold" and then she says "deeper discounts are entirely up to the liquidators". :unsure

All stores are to be closed by Friday. I went in to 2 different stores yesterday and today. Both stores were barren and had 99% of the store empty and gutted. Had basically nothing.

This is my favorite place to stop by, when I was young. I still remember how I tend to be a drama queen just so my Mom can buy me a new toy.

I honestly don't think I've been in a Toys R Us since the late 90's, so this is no big loss for me. Even then, it wasn't my ideal place to go buy toys, though I did get the POTF series one stuff there, more than anywhere else. Wish I still had them, I remember the first run for Luke, Vader and Obi Wan had ridiculously long light sabers. Subsequent runs had more proportional lengths. I still occasionally look for those first run long saber, MOC. Don't ever find them and I'm sure my experience sold them for nothing.

3A221C35-171A-4817-BA42-2C93FDD967A1.jpeg

http://abc7ny.com/finance/anonymous-man-buys-$1-million-worth-of-toys-r-us-inventory/3676401/

Who's this mysterious customer?
I still feel sad though, goodbye childhood memories.

Yesterday I drove by our closed Toys R Us. I felt like I needed an artifact...something tactile that I can reference when ever I feel nostalgic. I wanted a sign or something that actually said TRU, but the place has been closed for a month. I drove around back and I hit the jackpot!

image.jpg

Yesterday I drove by our closed Toys R Us. I felt like I needed an artifact...something tactile that I can reference when ever I feel nostalgic. I wanted a sign or something that actually said TRU, but the place has been closed for a month. I drove around back and I hit the jackpot!

View attachment 830942
You took all 3?
Dip one in chrome expect for the logo part.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back