Tomb Raider (2018) (Post-release)

What did you think of Tomb Raider

• Total voters
Ehh.

I didn't hate it... but I feel there was potential to do SO much more if they had stuck a bit closer to the game story. In many ways they did, but they also veered far off in others and overall it didn't capture that feeling of being on Yamatai and everything happening to Lara for the first time in her life like I'd hoped it would.

It still is overall fairly good, and as good or better than the originals were when they came out. There was one BIG thing they did which i completely disagree with. But all in all it could have been worse.

I am very sad though that i can't say that i loved it.

I expected to hear a lot of Alicia Vikander yelling - since Lara in the 2013 reboot yells a lot. I was not left down lol. Pardon my sexism (I'm a work in progress) but Vikander yells like a girl lol. It's actually kinda cute - so much that it almost makes me jealous of Fassbender.

I saw it some hours ago. I liked it. Maybe not 'liked it very much' as I voted in the poll, but I can honestly say I did like it. In my opinion, it really is one of the better 'video game movies'; definitely an improvement and step in the right direction.

Even though I thought the movie was based on the 2013 game from seeing the first trailer alone, the second (or third) trailer let me know that it wouldn't be based on the game. It is an adaptation of it. Because it's an adaptation, anyone who wants to watch this movie expecting it to be like the reboot game really shouldn't. Accept that it's far from the game's story and take it as something different. Sure, there's a Mathias (but his name is really only mentioned once and he's referred to by his last name) there's a Himiko, the word Yamatai, a boat called the Endurance, Lord Croft, Ana, the Evil Council, but that's as far as this movie goes in terms of having borrowed anything integral from the game's plot. It borrowed names.
There are scenes which I thought were dumb, but they weren't enough for me to dislike the movie. And as TheMechanic mentioned, the movie does have plot holes - some associated with certain characters' background, maybe their motives too. Again, not enough for me to dislike it. I will have to reiterate kristen jones' comment. I do wish the movie stuck to the game's story. Not to a T. I wish the movie was about Lara having to survive the island. It's really not about survival despite the trailer having the song "Survivor."

Anyway, the scenes that were directly inspired from the game were amazing. I smirked every time. There's not that many of them - I think there were maybe 4 or 5 - but I swear to you, despite seeming as unrealistic, over the top, as they are in the game, they are the better scenes in the movie. They do capture the game's feeling. And Vikander looks like a badass. Anyone in doubt whether she can be Lara Croft shouldn't be after seeing those scenes.

You know, a thing I loved about this movie was the attention to detail. Little things here and there that were also taken right from the game even though they weren't important.

Last edited:
Didn’t know what to expect quality wise, and I was pleasantly surprised ! Liked it quite a bit, I think it was a good mix between an original story and a straight up adaptation of the game, and Vikander sold it. She was very human and managed to still kick ass, but in a fairly believable way. Looking forward to a sequel !

^^^This.

If you have something useful to comment on the movie, Darkside...then by all means. But if all you have is a few childish comments about someone's body then you really ought to sit this one out.

Either make a film based off the video game look like the character or don't make the film. Simple, no explanation needed.

^^^This.

If you have something useful to comment on the movie, Darkside...then by all means. But if all you have is a few childish comments about someone's body then you really ought to sit this one out.

Alicia Vikander's rendition DID resemble the character in the game....the REBOOT games that this is based off of. Was she a dead ringer...? No. But Lara didn't have your beloved H Cups in the reboot games either (thank God).

And her name was spelled correctly as well. ;)

Either make a film based off the video game look like the character or don't make the film. Simple, no explanation needed.
Dude, from what cave did you crawl out of ?
That's Lara now, since 2013:
5969946-1265905472-Lara-.jpg
Vikander looks hella close to that to me !

They did just that. Alicia Vikander was the best possible choice for the reboot Lara. On top of being a great actress, having [some] name recognition, she's young, has a similar frame, olive skin, brown eyes, brown hair, and a natural English accent...more or less. Those last four have been something all versions of Lara had. Also, regarding her breast size, think about that one for a moment. Do you see many athletic women with large natural breasts? No. You don't. Even Angelina Jolie had to use padded bras because her breasts were never as big as people thought they were.

Finally got a chance to see today. Damn happy with the film as a long time TR fan. I want more.
I checked and it has made two and half times the production budget thanks to foreign BO
so hopefully that means that will happen. Vikander did a great job. The big fighting scenes
she got her butt tossed around good and painfully. No magic girl kicks that disable all men hundred + pounds
more than them, kept things grounded and her struggles far more engaging, and a first kill as in the game
is given gravity.
It had the necessary heart required with her father, I saw some reviews it was too much Daddy's girl but
eff them. This is the back story for her and this was origins and where she comes from. Why is that supposed
to be a problem anyways??? Batman having Daddy's boy issues ever bother them?
Anyways came away fully satisfied, surprised reviews are split but my point of reference is the games so maybe that is part of it.

Just saw the movie, it was fine. The 2013 game is my all time favorite video game, and I wish the movie had stuck to it better. Changes in the narrative are fine and make it interesting since I've played through the game over 10 times now, but the look of the island was completely wrong, didn't look like Japan at all. The real disappointment though was the "magic isn't real" ending. Tomb Raider, like Indiana Jones, has always gotten weird at the end, and this one steered away from that. I really wanted to see some samurai demons and a weird glowing faceless witch. I also would have liked to see more than 15 minutes of the survivalist stuff, since 2/3 of the game is just her trying not to die in the jungle. But it was a pretty good movie otherwise. I hope they'll make a sequel, because you can't really make a disappointing adaptation of Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Saw it last night. It was good. I enjoyed it.
Felt very small, though.
Like an episode of a TV series instead of a movie.
The game was EPIC. The movie was like less than 5% of what the game is.
A little disappointed in that aspect, but at least it wasn't stupid and insulting.
Better than the Angelina movies, for sure.

Saw it last night. It was good. I enjoyed it.
Felt very small, though.
Like an episode of a TV series instead of a movie.
The game was EPIC. The movie was like less than 5% of what the game is.
A little disappointed in that aspect, but at least it wasn't stupid and insulting.
Better than the Angelina movies, for sure.

Agreed, they dont get to the Island until halfway through the movie, and she gets like 5 minutes of 'survivor' time really. It seemed to the point that she was in the tomb really quickly once she was on the island and all.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back