Tomb Raider (2018) (Post-release)

What did you think of Tomb Raider

• Total voters

joberg

Legendary Member
Alicia Vikander is shooting scene for the new movie already and she's looking very good (Daily Mail U.K. has the pics).

Re: Tomb Raider Re-boot

Good. I never liked the What'sHerName movies. And the rebooted games are GREAT. I'm looking forward to this one.

lara.jpg
She basically looks like she was ripped straight from the game. I like where this is going, the games were indeed fantastic !

I'm quite excited for it as well.

I am sort of hoping that this outfit she's wearing is preliminary, and that they didn't intentionally leave out so many details from the iconic Reborn outfit from the game.

However, if the story is good, i can forgive some differences in the outfit. :-D

Her boots are irritating me, but I'm just nitpicking. She really looks the part.

Sadly it's just a live action version of the game story, seems like it's not making a lot of fans happy. Personally I'd rather they did a CGI movie with Camilla as Lara like in the games but that's just me, i prefer cgi game movies.

To each, their own.

I don't personally think I'd enjoy a CG fest...I have the games for that.

I'm not familiar with her work...and that may be a good thing as I won't have preconceptions about whom she is.

And I'd be very pleased if the movie's story line follows the plot of the first game. I enjoyed that immensely, and think that it could translate very well to the screen.

All in all, I remain positive, and look forward to seeing more.

I'm not familiar with her work...and that may be a good thing as I won't have preconceptions about whom she is.

And I'd be very pleased if the movie's story line follows the plot of the first game. I enjoyed that immensely, and think that it could translate very well to the screen.

All in all, I remain positive, and look forward to seeing more.

Agreed, there are worse story lines out there to base a movie on and as it is the game was pretty cinematic in nature, I definitely think that it will translate well on screen.

Last edited:

She's a fantastic actress and I believe that she's the right choice for the movie.

She's definitely got the look down.

Hoping it it turns out well...these newer games have shown that the character can be more than just a sex symbol...and I think if done right the movies could be a GREAT franchise.

I agree... and hope that this is the start of that.

Though the costumer in me is sad that what we see on her ATM isn't closer to the game outfit, i can totally forgive that if the story and portrayals are on point.

I'd love to see the stories in the games brought to the screen--as long as they are written well and acted superbly.

She's definitely got the look down.

Hoping it it turns out well...these newer games have shown that the character can be more than just a sex symbol...and I think if done right the movies could be a GREAT franchise.

Unfortunately, the new games have also shown that she's just an abuse magnet. She gets the crap kicked out of her constantly, and since it's all done in cutscenes, there's no way to avoid every single trap she walks into, even if you, as the player, can see it coming a mile away.

Unfortunately, the new games have also shown that she's just an abuse magnet. She gets the crap kicked out of her constantly, and since it's all done in cutscenes, there's no way to avoid every single trap she walks into, even if you, as the player, can see it coming a mile away.

That's a unique complaint. It never occurred to me that she was an "abuse magnet".
I figured these are the kinds of things that are likely to happen when you're racing against time in unfamiliar terrain with an army of psychopaths on your heels.

My one complaint about the first game was the huge deal it made of Lara's first kill - how traumatic it was for her - and how that was completely forgotten in 5 seconds as I raced through the burning village murdering every chump in my way, and later in the game as I continuously experimented with more entertaining ways of murdering dudes.

I'd prefer for the movie if they made killing a last resort for Lara and focused on her outwitting enemies instead.
That, to my mind, would send a stronger "girl-power" message than "Murder everyone!!!"

That's a unique complaint. It never occurred to me that she was an "abuse magnet".
I figured these are the kinds of things that are likely to happen when you're racing against time in unfamiliar terrain with an army of psychopaths on your heels.

Except it happens to her constantly, even in the second game where you'd think she'd know what she was doing. She still gets the crap kicked out of her all the way through. I really can't think of any shooter games (which is what the new games are) where the male protagonist gets abused constantly like Lara does.

My one complaint about the first game was the huge deal it made of Lara's first kill - how traumatic it was for her - and how that was completely forgotten in 5 seconds as I raced through the burning village murdering every chump in my way, and later in the game as I continuously experimented with more entertaining ways of murdering dudes.

It was a bit jarring, yes. I was more bothered by it because after going through the emotional trauma of killing that first deer, you really didn't need to kill any more animals throughout the game. If it doesn't turn out to be a big deal, why do it at all?

I'd prefer for the movie if they made killing a last resort for Lara and focused on her outwitting enemies instead.
That, to my mind, would send a stronger "girl-power" message than "Murder everyone!!!"

That will just mean the movie will fail. I don't want to see "girl-power", I want to see "gender is irrelevant". If you're going to make her an action hero, make her an action hero. Violence is what sells in those movies. I get so sick and tired of people wanting "female heroes". Just make heroes. Gender shouldn't matter. Make the best movie you can with the best cast you can and the best script that you can and who cares what genitals the characters have?

That will just mean the movie will fail. I don't want to see "girl-power", I want to see "gender is irrelevant". If you're going to make her an action hero, make her an action hero. Violence is what sells in those movies. I get so sick and tired of people wanting "female heroes". Just make heroes. Gender shouldn't matter. Make the best movie you can with the best cast you can and the best script that you can and who cares what genitals the characters have?

I agree completely. I thought you were making a feminism reference with your "abuse magnet" comment, and I was responding to that.
I'm just very tired of violence for the sake of violence in movies. It's as though Hollywood believes that's the only way to solve problems, and that isn't true at all.
They have a real opportunity here to create an iconic, positive role model for kids. I hope they do, and I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment with lofty expectations.

Last edited:

I agree completely. I thought you were making a feminism reference with your "magnet abuse" comment, and I was responding to that.
I'm just very tired of violence for the sake of violence in movies. It's as though Hollywood believes that's the only way to solve problems, and that isn't true at all.
They have a real opportunity here to create an iconic, positive role model for kids. I hope they do, and I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment with lofty expectations.

Nope, feminism is stupid. However, in the new games at least, Lara Croft is getting abused a lot more than her male counterparts in other games. I don't know if that's on purpose because of her gender, but I'm certainly not the only one who noticed it.

And violence is part of the action/adventure genre. Nobody would go see Indiana Jones if he spent the whole movie in the library, researching artifacts. That's not what the genre does. There are other genres out there if you're disturbed by this one.

I agree 100%

Gender shouldn't matter. Make the best movie you can with the best cast you can and the best script that you can and who cares what genitals the characters have?

Speaking as someone who has had their particular demographic WELL represented in action movies since... like, ever. ;)

I for one am happy that there is a new trend toward showing capable female heroes...especially when they aren't portrayed as overtly sexy.

I don't want Lady heroes just for Lady Heroes' sake.... but I do want them. Not at the expense of a good story, however.

While playing the game i reckon i mostly thought of her "abuse" as part of her learning curve... since she generally learned new skills as a result of those trials. It felt like she was growing her skill set, and also hardening a part of herself in order to be able to handle what comes next.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back