Tomb Raider (2018) (Post-release)

What did you think of Tomb Raider

• Total voters
Re: Tomb Raider Re-boot

Speaking as someone who has had their particular demographic WELL represented in action movies since... like, ever. ;)

I for one am happy that there is a new trend toward showing capable female heroes...especially when they aren't portrayed as overtly sexy.

I don't want Lady heroes just for Lady Heroes' sake.... but I do want them. Not at the expense of a good story, however.

While playing the game i reckon i mostly thought of her "abuse" as part of her learning curve... since she generally learned new skills as a result of those trials. It felt like she was growing her skill set, and also hardening a part of herself in order to be able to handle what comes next.

Very well said!

I agree 100%.

Speaking as someone who has had their particular demographic WELL represented in action movies since... like, ever. ;)

I for one am happy that there is a new trend toward showing capable female heroes...especially when they aren't portrayed as overtly sexy.

I don't want Lady heroes just for Lady Heroes' sake.... but I do want them. Not at the expense of a good story, however.

While playing the game i reckon i mostly thought of her "abuse" as part of her learning curve... since she generally learned new skills as a result of those trials. It felt like she was growing her skill set, and also hardening a part of herself in order to be able to handle what comes next.

I have never cared about any demographic and frankly, I consume a lot of media where my particular demographic is not represented one bit, and don't care. That's because I care only about the content, I don't have to pretend to be the character. So I can play Lara Croft and not care that she's a female character, or I can play Master Chief and not care that he's a male character. I don't care if the character I play is black or white. I don't care if the character I play is even human. But then again, I'm secure in who I am, so what difference does it make?

And that might make sense, had they not done the exact same thing in Rise of the Tomb Raider, after she had already "learned" her lessons in the first game. But nope, she got the crap kicked out of her constantly in that game too.

- - - Updated - - -

If I had known I was poking a troll I never would have quoted you.
Don't worry, it won't happen again.

:facepalm

I have never cared about any demographic and frankly, I consume a lot of media where my particular demographic is not represented one bit, and don't care. That's because I care only about the content, I don't have to pretend to be the character. So I can play Lara Croft and not care that she's a female character, or I can play Master Chief and not care that he's a male character. I don't care if the character I play is black or white. I don't care if the character I play is even human. But then again, I'm secure in who I am, so what difference does it make?

And that might make sense, had they not done the exact same thing in Rise of the Tomb Raider, after she had already "learned" her lessons in the first game. But nope, she got the crap kicked out of her constantly in that game too.

- - - Updated - - -

:facepalm

OK.... well that's good for you. Each person does their own thing I suppose.

When I play the games i DO put myself into the character of Lara... i DO identify with her. It's fine that you don't, but not everyone does it like you do. Because I DO identify with her, I like that she is now being made into someone that I can appreciate...whom I can draw some measure of inspiration from.

That has NOTHING to do with being insecure with whom I am, BTW.

And RE: the second game, and her "already having learned..."

So I guess you learn everything 100% the first time round with no falters or mistakes. Well bully for you, but most humans don't. Lara--being a representation of a human being--can be expected to need to continually learn until she's become the Tomb Raider fully.

So I guess you learn everything 100% the first time round with no falters or mistakes. Well bully for you, but most humans don't. Lara--being a representation of a human being--can be expected to need to continually learn until she's become the Tomb Raider fully.

Real life for sure, but when you're telling a fictional story where your characters go through the same thing over and over again, what exactly are you accomplishing? Reminding us that we're human and we've got a lot to learn? Well, ok. Not a very interesting story, but ok. Personally I don't think stories like that are nearly as important when you have your characters learn something important and how that changes them as a result. After all, what's the point of trying to continue to work things out when all that happens is that it all reverts back to what it was anyways?

Real life for sure, but when you're telling a fictional story where your characters go through the same thing over and over again, what exactly are you accomplishing? Reminding us that we're human and we've got a lot to learn? Well, ok. Not a very interesting story, but ok. Personally I don't think stories like that are nearly as important when you have your characters learn something important and how that changes them as a result. After all, what's the point of trying to continue to work things out when all that happens is that it all reverts back to what it was anyways?

Well I think that is a bit exxagerated. It's not like literally the same thing happens each time in both games. Does she run up against odds seemingly beyond her abilities over and over again? Yes... that's how video games work. Let's not pretend this doesn't happen in every other game as well.

Besides...this is a pair of origin story games. We already have plenty of games where Lara is completely polished and flawless...a perfect shot everytime...able to make amazing leaps and hang from cliffs forever. That was every other game in the franchise. These two games are meant to show how she got there in the first place.

Honbestly I don't see what you guys are on about. I really don't.

Sooooo, Kristen...
You gonna make a movie Lara costume?
Kinda seems a shame to have to do another one when your last one was frakking PERFECT.

^Aww, shucks.

Dunno... we'll see.

If I love the movie, then probably. And i really do want to love it... I hope that it's done well.

But if not, there's always the next game :)

Besides...this is a pair of origin story games. We already have plenty of games where Lara is completely polished and flawless.

And I never finished a single one of those games. I tried the first game when it was released for the Sega Saturn, but quit after trying to handle the controls. I tried the Anniversary Edition for the Wii but quickly found it boring. Maybe if Lara was a more interesting character I probably would have had an easier time playing through them, but she isn't. I am NOT interested in a polished and flawless character here. I wouldn't even want this reboot Lara to turn into the same kind of character she was in the original games. There are a lot more ways to grow Lara's character than sticking with origin stories. Just because she becomes "Lara Croft Tomb Raider" does not mean she cannot be challenged or changed as a character.

Who said she can't be challenged or changed as a character? When was that assertion ever made in this conversation?

I was the one who was arguing that these games having her facing repeated trials and not always getting it right was a good thing, remember? That was the point that I was making when I gave the example of the other games: that is what makes these two games different and more relatable--at least for me--that she isn't polished and flawless in them.

So I'm not sure where you're coming from on this.

Also, i find it odd that--as you say--you've never finished any of the other games because you found them "boring" or 'couldn't manage the controls" and that you probably would have played through if her "character was more interesting" yet here you are in a thread about a movie featuring a character that you have no interest in because apparently you feel she is beneath you.

I was playing in 96, so Lara and I go way back, she forced me to buy an expensive 3DFX video card!
Pretty much played every single iteration of the games.
Bugs me when people still say to this day..... "Laura". ACK!

I've however not played the latest game, they were shunning us PC folks when it first came out,
but played the last one, which was to me Tomb Raider Begins more or less. My PC is getting old
so I'll have to play once I upgrade.

It's a great adventurer character, there are really not so many films about adventuring anymore, Indy dropped the ball long ago.
So I really hope this hits it's mark, and damn well better have her duel wielding some large caliber handguns.

Oh, I see. Well don't worry. I've played the reboot Lara Croft games and I sincerely like the new take on her character. A lot actually. The fact that they're using the reboot game as the launching point for this movie has got me excited. The only way Lara Croft could ever be beneath me is if I'm standing on top of a tomb she's raiding. I wouldn't go down there.

Well if you want to talk realism, I'm playing the first reboot game now and Lara would be dead before the halfway point in the game, just from being impaled, falls, etc. If not she would be so bruised she couldn't move and have a lot of broken bones. So I think with video game movies, you can't put much realism into it.

Oh, I see. Well don't worry. I've played the reboot Lara Croft games and I sincerely like the new take on her character. A lot actually. The fact that they're using the reboot game as the launching point for this movie has got me excited. The only way Lara Croft could ever be beneath me is if I'm standing on top of a tomb she's raiding. I wouldn't go down there.

This is certainly a more encouraging statement than your previous one. :)

Don't know if this is real or not. But it's pretty cool.

3kdOHjr3.jpg

It does look consistent with what I've seen so far.

I *am* anxious to see the film... i REALLY want to love it :)

Incidentally, Axlotl.... I AM making another TR costume. I had sold my other one 3 years ago, and have missed it ever since. So I've settled on making one from the last game:

2.jpg

I really like the Henley top look (I think it suits my body type better) and I am super stoked about making all new props!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back