Quest for Real World Keys - Ready Player One

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
copper key pic.jpg

I am on a Quest for REAL WORLD equivalent keys from the Movie, Ready Player One. Such as a Real Copper - Copper Key.
My money is tied up for a while, but I made a STL of the Copper Key to have printed in copper.
I might consider selling the STL file for personal use to raise money to buy a key for myself.

I also obtained some stone to make a jade key. I chose a green soapstone since it's easier to carve.

This will be a gradual process, especially for a possible GLASS key.

Last edited:
copper key close.jpg...Jade key.jpg

The 2 ovals on the copper key and 5 on the jade key are actually HOLES in the movie.
I'm adjusting my 3D model of the copper key to show the holes.

Any estimate on what Shapeways would charge to print in a metal?

I've just put a BRONZE STEEL key in their cue. I'll post a picture of it when I get it. Somewhere around April 20th.
I want to get it and post pics first, before making it available from my Shapeways page. Steel doesn't have the smoothest finish.
It is too big to print in regular BRONZE (not steel) from Shapeways, and I'd have to cut it down about 5mm to get it in Copper from iMaterialise. Which I don't want to do, despite being actual Copper. I'm hoping the Bronze Steel will come out good.
The Bronze plating on the steel consists of 10% tin and 90% copper.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1355.JPG...IMG_1371.JPG

Since I'm done with the Copper key and submitted it to be printed, I'm proceeding to the Jade Key.
Since Jade is expensive, hard to work with and doesn't come in nice key shaped blocks, I'm using Soapstone. It is easy to carve and will still have the right weight to it. I couldn't find the right color, so I'm left with painting it green after carving it.
I started with a large block (first pic) and hacked off a slice, trying to get a piece with consistent color and therefore consistent density. I didn't want it to be harder in some spots than others because of striations in the stone.

Funko Made plastic keys. You can cast them :D

- - - Updated - - -

for like less than $20 for all 3

Yes, the pictures above are from Funko's set that I bought. I can not cast copper and as stated, Funko's copper key should have HOLES in it. I can not drill such a tiny area out of the key to fix it.

Excellent, man. Can’t wait to see more of both keys :thumbsup

I bought a Molotow chrome paint pen to add some highlights to my crystal key. I don’t know if it’s screen accurate but looked like it did have some silver on it to me.

ill be attempting to drill out those holes on both keys tomorrow. Thanks again for those tips.

Got one side drilled out:
15541195-E3B0-40D8-9B31-64CE8CA264F7.jpeg

just need to clean it up some more.

Last edited:
IMG_1377.JPG

I did some further refinement. It's starting to look like a key. I should have sliced a thinner chuck of stone. ;)

I had made this extra thick, so if I made a mistake I'd being to just cut down a layer deeper and start the surface detail over.
But I got it way to thick. I just spent the last hour shaving it down thinner.

IMG_1388.JPG..key comp.jpg

Okay. I got my key back from Shapeways in Bronze Steel. The weight is nice, 17 grams for the Funko plastic and 100 grams for my key in Bronze. HUGE difference.
But....the key shrunk more than I thought it would. It's now off on the overall size compared to the original. I have made some adjustments and also refined the sculpt a bit and will be trying again.

This key will go in the Junkyard for sale. It's not perfect, but I'll discount it.
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=289559

Last edited:
That shrinkage may be due to the polishing / cleaning process.

Looks pretty nice, though. I know that Shapeways metals ain't cheap – good luck with the second try!

It looks really good, though. Look forward to seeing more of your progress :thumbsup

That shrinkage may be due to the polishing / cleaning process.

Looks pretty nice, though. I know that Shapeways metals ain't cheap – good luck with the second try!

Thanks, Guys. The finish was actually smoother than expected. A Very nice surprise. For a "copper" key, the Funko is remarkably GOLD colored. I may do the next one of mine in a polished Gold Steel.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back