Quest for Real World Keys - Ready Player One

Are you offering your key on Shapeways?

This exact key is in the Junkyard for sale.

I'm going to refine my key at Shapeways a bit before making it available for sale on the Shapeways site. When it's available at Shapeways, it'll be at a higher cost. I put this one in the Junkyard at below what I paid for it.

Okay. I've made changes to the design and compensated for shrinkage. I ordered a new key and decided to still go with Bronze Steel. I watched a YouTube video on electroplating with Copper and will give it a go with copper plating the bronze steel to give it a more proper appearance when I receive it.

IMG_1394.JPG..rpo.jpg

Okay, my attempt to copper plate the key failed. But then, I simply got some copper polish and polished the key.
It turned the gray / dark brown key to something much better. This is still my first gen key. When I get my new key, I will try the polish without trying to plate it first.

Last edited:
IMG_1404[1].JPG...IMG_1406[1].JPG
I got my most recent Copper key, and the dimensions are great ! It even fits snugly into the slot in the FUNKO box.

As to the color.....I polished it, and it made it turned from a gray/brown color to a more silver color.

:wacko

I believe that means that my copper plating on my original prototype was a success. The prototype didn't really look copper plated...but the color was indeed, a copper-gold color after plating and polishing. So, I guess I'll have to copper plate the new key to get that color. I learn by trial and error. :D

Just a quick note on soapstone... I know it can be dyed... So instead of painting it, try dying green it first... if it ends up not working out, you can always paint it afterwards...

Just a quick note on soapstone... I know it can be dyed... So instead of painting it, try dying green it first... if it ends up not working out, you can always paint it afterwards...

Curious, I have been working in soapstone since high school. I have never heard of it being dyed.

back to topic,

These keys are fantastic. I have wanted more accurate versions of them as well.

I always understood those to be painted, I know natural dyes and pigments are used though. I wonder how truly dyed it is compared to a painted surface.

Very interesting. I've been focusing on the Copper key, but when I return to the soapstone, I'll see if it can be dyed. They mentioned several colors, and green wasn't one of them, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I have extra pieces I can experiment with.

I was also thinking of a green finger nail polish. It would have a super gloss to it like very polished stone.

I bought Kevinericon's keys. (way back)

But I just wanted to follow up with anyone that was reading about my attempts to copper plate MY key.
It turns out that the key was steel, and you have to nickel plate a steel key and then copper plate the nickel. That's why my attempt failed.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back