Rogue 1 Death Star

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I got laid up with an emergency root canal and some other resulting work two weeks ago. Kept staring at the domes from the Sith Planet Rogue 1 Death Star (or maybe it was just all the little drills in my mouth)... decided to build this with a "few modifications"... Got it this far. Was a fun way to pass the time. Still deciding to paint in the surface panels, or not... kind-of like the surface. I figure it is half studio-scale at 18i, since the original was around three feet and the R1 version (with the dish being mounted) was digital. The revised protruding dish was mounted with strong Velcro for maintenance...

Attachments

• R1DS_Build 000.jpg
    R1DS_Build 000.jpg
    798.5 KB · Views: 297
  • R1DS_Build066.jpg
    R1DS_Build066.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 241
A base from the old Ertl "In-Flight" Darth Vader TIE X-1 kind-of fit perfectly inside the hole and sat near right on the trench ledge. Added an old milk cap and built the ring from guitar wire and some beads. Rest was just greeblies, 1/72 Y-Wing egg cups, and a few Saturn V parts.

- - - Updated - - -

I hacked up one of those cheap fiber optic spray night-lights (replacing three blue LEDs with bright white and one red) and wired in a wall adapter for the fiber optic trench and inner dish lights. Quick-and-dirty, but came out pretty cool.​

R1DS_Build038.jpg

R1DS_Build046.jpg

R1DS_Build009.jpg

R1DS_Build048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple mounting (this version of the dish and innards was WAAAYYY lighter than my first couple of attempts)...

Attachments

• R1DS_Build052.jpg
    R1DS_Build052.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
  • R1DS_Build063.jpg
    R1DS_Build063.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Thats pretty cool. Is that a made kit out there?
The lines in the dish seem a little to thick, as in sticking out too much. Its still nice though.

Yeah, recent kit from Sith Planet... the original dish insert is about 1/2i thick and slides into the notch on the bottom of the hole. I made a quick copy of it so I could grind it down on the belt sander to see if this would work, before I hack up the original. That part is Velcro'd in, so I can play around with other versions. Still might smooth the edges round on it.

Thats pretty cool. Is that a made kit out there?
The lines in the dish seem a little to thick, as in sticking out too much. Its still nice though.

Thanks guys! Yeah, now that I got the weight of the dish and innards ok, I can play around with the actual dish... rounding it off, etc. Here's a few shots of the kit... the domes are actually translucent, so an alternative is that you could just paint the outside and add something like an LED strip around the inside of the trench, and then just scratch or surface-drill the lights. I had the old cheap fiber-optic spray lamp in my electronics bin, so figured would just use it up.​

STH_Death Star (Rogue1 - 18i) 01.jpg

STH_Death Star (Rogue1 - 18i) 08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be in-and-out this week, but did a quick round-off of the test dish and added a few more things inside before leaving...

Attachments

• R1DS_Build 000b.jpg
    R1DS_Build 000b.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 153
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back