Educate me on the various 1/72 scale Millennium Falcon kits...

I am still working on the PG Falcon and the MPC one(both cutaway and regular)

The regular version I cut down the sidewalls to a better height. The cutaway I will leave as is

I did finish my Fine Molds Falcon, and loved it. However now when I look at it, I do think about the mandibles, small radar dish, and flatness. I'm sure once I finish the PG Falcon it will bother me even more :facepalm

This is still my favorite falcon
78e4bbb86a2f2b3bf9ee711829b742e9.jpg
e0ace87e396ff22006f1defde69bd7fd.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ah yes, the old Kenner diecast. I have one of those (it is in much worse shape paint wise as there are a tone of chips in the paint)

I also have the old Star Destroyer, Y-Wing, X-Wing, Tie Figher, Slave-1 and Cloud Car

The Tie Fighter I believe qualifies as a "studio scale" model since it was supposedly used way in the background somewhere on screen in ROTJ despite having the "battery compartment" from the larger toy modeled on it. It also had a Darth figure in it
ROTJ-TIEs.jpg

Slave 1 was white???

The Cloud Car is actually pretty close to 1/72

Last edited:
I made my own sidewalls for the AMT cutaway:

taking some measurements of the reduced height, I cut the interior walls and managed to fit them inside too, but in order to achieve that (without a bad looking results), the height variation of the exterior sidewalls needs to be less than it should be. In this case I ended with a sidewall height of 16mm. None of the existing kits of short sidewalls have that height, they mostly be 15 or 14mm

That looks really good kitbasher.

As far as why, this isn't a 'must have' rather just something I'd like to have. One reason why I want something as close to the PG as possible is I want to practice on something roughly the same size and I want to try to motorize the exhaust fans on the PG. Something similar in size will give me an idea of how I am going to do it. I realize it won't be 100% the same and I'll have to do some tweaks but it should be close.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is the snap kits... I saw one review that stated Kit# 06694 is 17" and 85-1822 is 14.7" and there are other model numbers that are repops, but of which version and which size is correct? Is there actually a 17" snaptite max kit? I missed the cut away auction by 1 minute! I think it sold for $20 which I didn't think was a bad price.

I am still working on the PG Falcon and the MPC one(both cutaway and regular)

The regular version I cut down the sidewalls to a better height. The cutaway I will leave as is
[url]http://i.imgur.com/yd5i4fkm.jpg[/url]

I did finish my Fine Molds Falcon, and loved it. However now when I look at it, I do think about the mandibles, small radar dish, and flatness. I'm sure once I finish the PG Falcon it will bother me even more :facepalm

[url]http://i.imgur.com/b2jhNQjm.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://i.imgur.com/SMac8d7m.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://i.imgur.com/FvR1AuFm.jpg[/URL]
I was thinking the same thing when I finish my PG falcon...I got mine when FM first released it... I had for a long time so I kinda got over the inaccuracies.. but did change the dish with a shapeways one... just have to think FM is my 32" version & PG is my 5ft version.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is the snap kits... I saw one review that stated Kit# 06694 is 17" and 85-1822 is 14.7" and there are other model numbers that are repops, but of which version and which size is correct? Is there actually a 17" snaptite max kit? I missed the cut away auction by 1 minute! I think it sold for $20 which I didn't think was a bad price.
If you found a cheap snap together that's 17" it would be plenty fine for practicing on...

Hell, you could even make your own panels out of styrene squares to do your practice

Well just for the helluvit... I was bored at work so I went up on Shapeways and priced out ALL the upgrade parts needed for the MPC/AMT kit to fix all the issues. Holy smokes! It came out to more than $500! Does anyone actually do all that anymore? If so why when they could buy a Fine Molds or Bandai for less?

I have no intentions of doing all that, I was just curious. I would still like a similar scale kit to practice on and get a few skills honed but I will admit I was hoping for something that would be somewhat accurate/decent looking. I wouldn't mind spending a little money on a few parts for something like the shorter side walls, but I'm not going to go crazy on it. I guess before the Fine Molds and PG kit people had to fix up the old MPC/AMT but does anyone really do all that now? I saw a video where a guy cut the kit apart so he could reshape the hull. I guess to some that's fun, but not me! Now if I had a dozen kits laying around and didn't care if I ended up destroying one... AND if I had all my other builds done, I guess if I was bored I might try something crazy like that, but wow! Some of you guys have crazy mad skills and should be working for an FX shop... and others are... well... just crazy! ;) (and yes I am kidding around there and not slamming anyone!)

Well just for the helluvit... I was bored at work so I went up on Shapeways and priced out ALL the upgrade parts needed for the MPC/AMT kit to fix all the issues. Holy smokes! It came out to more than $500! Does anyone actually do all that anymore? If so why when they could buy a Fine Molds or Bandai for less?

I have no intentions of doing all that, I was just curious. I would still like a similar scale kit to practice on and get a few skills honed but I will admit I was hoping for something that would be somewhat accurate/decent looking. I wouldn't mind spending a little money on a few parts for something like the shorter side walls, but I'm not going to go crazy on it. I guess before the Fine Molds and PG kit people had to fix up the old MPC/AMT but does anyone really do all that now? I saw a video where a guy cut the kit apart so he could reshape the hull. I guess to some that's fun, but not me! Now if I had a dozen kits laying around and didn't care if I ended up destroying one... AND if I had all my other builds done, I guess if I was bored I might try something crazy like that, but wow! Some of you guys have crazy mad skills and should be working for an FX shop... and others are... well... just crazy! ;) (and yes I am kidding around there and not slamming anyone!)

I really wouldn't worry about accuracy for a model you want to practice on. It's just practice.

However, If you want your practice model to be nice as well, then maybe consider starting with the 1/144 bandai. It may be way too small but the one thing it will do is teach you about the intricacies of the falcon. You will do the bulk of your research on painting that one and in the end, it will look nice sitting on your office desk

Attachments

• MG_3069-nickshearmanphotos.com_-1-1800x1045.jpg
    MG_3069-nickshearmanphotos.com_-1-1800x1045.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 161
If you found a cheap snap together that's 17" it would be plenty fine for practicing on...

Hell, you could even make your own panels out of styrene squares to do your practice
I don't think there are any 17" SnapTite kits are there? I saw one review where someone said one was 17" but I can't find that video anymore.

Doing the side walls could be fun. I don't think I would go the greeblie route though because it would be too tempting to want to make it look accurate and that would end up driving me nuts trying to find all the parts... and then they wouldn't be the right scale anyway I am sure. Now what I really would find fun and interesting is making molds from my PG and casting my own parts. I am trying to learn casting now anyway and that could be a fun little side project. You got me thinking now... :)

What is the proper height of the sidewalls? I am thinking cut sheet styrene and make blank wall panels the correct height. Then I can go ahead and build my cheapo Falcon and practice all the intricate weathering and streaking on that and when I get my PG off layaway I can cast the side walls and put them in as inserts. I'm sure it will be more work than that, but just a thought.

Exactly how high are the MPC/AMT side walls? I was reading that the shorter walls are around 14-15mm high, is that correct? Are we talking the MPC parts are a few mm off or a grunch load higher?

I'm also thinking about using a set of gears for the exhaust fans so I can use one low RPM DC motor instead of six. Again I'm bored and just thinking of ways to do things :)

I really wouldn't worry about accuracy for a model you want to practice on. It's just practice.

However, If you want your practice model to be nice as well, then maybe consider starting with the 1/144 bandai. It may be way too small but the one thing it will do is teach you about the intricacies of the falcon. You will do the bulk of your research on painting that one and in the end, it will look nice sitting on your office desk
yeah that's been suggested a couple of times and isn't a horrible idea.

One personal problem though is that I'm no spring chicken (not ready for the retirement home either!) and my eyes aren't what they used to be,,, in fact last year I lost the vision in both eyes and was blind for a few months until I had surgery. I can see good now, but it's harder to work on smaller scale kits.

I am pretty sure 85-1822 and 06604 are the same kit

The 85-1822 is listed as 14.7" on the Revell USA site https://www.revell.com/model-kits/entertainment/85-1822.html#.Wqqa1ezwbIU

The 06604 kit I have seen listed at 38 cm (14.9"). I am pretty sure that is basically just the product code for the European (Revell of Germany) release of the same tooling with different packaging

Revell of Germany's site lists it as 1/72 but the scales on their Star Wars subjects are often wrong, or are ballpark figures, or just seemingly completely random sometimes. They had a smaller snap tie kit packed with a tie fighter claiming the falcon there is 1/51. The sound and play level 1 resistance X-wings were listed as 1/78, but are actually 1/58. They had the original trilogy large Tie Fighter listed as 1/51, then 1/57 and it actually has a pilot in it that is 1/40 and is closer to being in scale with the old 1/43 MPC X-wing

They also have the Master Series Falcon which is the Fine Molds 1/72 Falcon. For Revell of USA, that has a product code of 85-5093 and is listed as being between 17" and 18"
https://www.revell.com/model-kits/entertainment/85-5093.html#.Wqqdq-zwbIU

There is also a smaller snap kit which is around 8.25". That kit is actually better proportioned

I think even 1 more smaller version closer to 1/256 scale

Revell has so many different sizes for the same subjects as well as many different product codes for what is essentially the same tooling, but just a different package, but the call them all snap tite something or other which makes it very confusing

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah blakeh I noticed that too. Their scale seems to be all over the place.
So I guess the biggest Snaptite Max Falcon is around 14.7 inches. That's close enough to practice on.

yeah that's been suggested a couple of times and isn't a horrible idea.

One personal problem though is that I'm no spring chicken (not ready for the retirement home either!) and my eyes aren't what they used to be,,, in fact last year I lost the vision in both eyes and was blind for a few months until I had surgery. I can see good now, but it's harder to work on smaller scale kits.

I feel you, man - I'm struggling with similar issues. I turned 40 and my eyes went straight to hell.
I've got half a dozen kits I just quit working on because I couldn't see to paint them anymore.
The Bandai 1/144 Falcon is one. I got as far as the base coat, but couldn't focus my eyes to mask the panels.
I've got new glasses now, though, so maybe I'll drag it back out one day and try again.

I feel you, man - I'm struggling with similar issues. I turned 40 and my eyes went straight to hell.
I've got half a dozen kits I just quit working on because I couldn't see to paint them anymore.
The Bandai 1/144 Falcon is one. I got as far as the base coat, but couldn't focus my eyes to mask the panels.
I've got new glasses now, though, so maybe I'll drag it back out one day and try again.

I hear you. I had to start with reading glasses around age 40. They work though and I'm doing some of the best work of my modeling career with them. When I look at older builds I did in my pre-glasses days, I'm amazed that my eyes were ever that good. Getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative.

Yes, the kit is pretty nearly the same size as the PG 1/72. so if you accept the PG scale as accurate (which some do not) then the MPC/AMT/ERTL standard and cutaway versions are 1/72.

The cockpit is pretty much non-existent and is basically just some seats, but is pretty much similar in size to the PG Falcon. IIRC the figures in the kit are a little oversized for 1/72 maybe, but not much. I'd have to pull the kit out and do some comparisons.

I am planning to mash up my (non-cutaway) MPC Falcon with a 3D-printed shapeways cockpit and figures from Falcon3DParts. (I did not order anything yet)

han01_2_grande.jpg

https://www.falcon3dparts.com/produ...r-bandai-1-72-perfect-grade-millennium-falcon
https://www.shapeways.com/product/T...oor-mpc-ertl?optionId=42695846&li=marketplace

I started to stress about wether the scaling of the different parts will fit together.
Has anyone ever tried this?

I have the PG Falcon and the MPC. tonight when I get home I can take some measurements to see how the PG stuff fits in the MPC cone

I have the PG Falcon and the MPC. tonight when I get home I can take some measurements to see how the PG stuff fits in the MPC cone

I would appreciate! I fact, I am planning to replace the MCP cockpit cone with Tony's printed version (308 Bits on shapeways)
I am rather looking for general measurements, to see if the scales with the figures would work.

Ok, so the MPC is slightly smaller than the Bandai 1/72 one. Again, scale will depend on how big you think the Falcon is in the real world. Going by Bandai's being the benchmark for 1/72, the MPC is no where near 1/58 and is close to, but smaller than 1/72

While figures made for the Bandai 1/72 might be hair on the larger side, I think they can work

These are rough measurements since I don't have anything more precise like calipers or a bendable ruler, but...

The MPC cockpit diameter is roughly 4 cm ( 1.6 " ) , while the Bandai one is about 4.5 cm (1.7")

The diameter of the saucer hull is 34 cm (13.4") for the MPC vs 36.5 cm (14.4") on the Bandai

Here is the Bandai cockpit compared to the MPC one.

39128767920_c9fc62683a_c.jpg

Her is the Bandai Luke figure sitting in the MPC cockpit. I scratched the console and back seats based on the MPC figure size
Forgive the hack job, it was done quickly a long time ago
Also Luke still has the tab protruding out of his back making it hard to seat him correctly, but you can get the idea

40896486082_84f5fa5500_c.jpg

39128768290_6bf1d62e47_c.jpg

And here are MPC Luke Chewie and Han (with a full helmet and visr for some reason?) along side Bandai's Luke

40896486452_84b1aaf731_c.jpg

And here is the MPC on the left, Bandai in the middle and Fine Molds on the right. I've seen people who tackle the MPC make the cockpit tunnel/cone wider in diameter as they felt the stock MPC one was a little too small compared to the rest of the ship. Also the MPC mandibles seem a little longer proportionally that the PG. Not by much though

40229880494_d1e2563019_c.jpg

40896485942_d50ee8f305_c.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back