The Prisoner - Number 2 Scarf Research and Questions

Peralton

Hey, all.

I don't often post, so...hi. I need your input on my research for a replica scarf from Number 2 from the original 1967 "The Prisoner" TV series.
scarf 12.jpg

First off, reference pics.
bb748c8bd0a61374889c1418f4b34064.jpgscarf 3.jpgscarf 4.jpgscarf 7.jpgscarf 14.jpgscarf 21.jpgscarf 22 master.jpg
scarf.JPG
(This closeup shows that it's Navy Blue and probably gold, which would make sense as navy blue is from the British Navy).

There's not a lot of reference online. People just go with a yellow and white stripe on a dark blue background and call it a day. Something like this:

ScarfDesign2.jpg
And that would be perfectly acceptable.

But as I was doing research, I think there may be more to it. In looking through every episode, I noticed sometimes you'd see only white stripes. Sometimes the folded scarf showed something different than you would expect if the pattern were duplicated, or even mirrored on the back side.I believe the scarf may be something more like this and folded down the middle:
ScarfDesign1.jpg

I read one forum comment saying that it may be two scarves, but the pictures don't lead me to that conclusion (though its definitely possible).

Here are some stills from the show that lead me to this conclusion.
ScarfDiagram2.jpgScarfDiagram1.jpgScarfDiagram3.jpg
The first image from Ep 15, The Girl Who Was Death, is easier to see in a video, because it moves as he stands.
https://youtu.be/Uyil80Bt9Ss?t=2805

Comparing the 3" badge to the width of the scarf leads me to believe the whole thing is about 9" wide with stripes that are a bit under 1" (maybe 2mm/.8"? There are other pics where the size is easier to judge, I need to find it and post)

So, what does everyone think? Two scarves? A folded scarf? Does anyone have reference to the original scarf, or a confirmation that it was two scarves that I didn't find? Am I obsessing over nothing, or am I on to something?

Also, if I were to make a run of these, does anyone know of a good scarf maker that isn't super pricey? There is https://www.luke-eyres.co.uk, but alternaatives, especially in the U.S., would be great.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the links! I came across those during my hunt, but they don't have any reference for the original scarves in the show. The one blog does have a link to the Luke Eryes scarf place, so at least I know that's an option to get them made. I think I will have try to link up with someone in Six of One to see if there's ever been discussion on the topic that I can't find.

Ultimately, I know it would be fine either way, but knowing the exact, proper design is half the fun of prop making.

I got in contact with Six of One via Twitter and the person running their feed had previously obtained a scarf from Ryder& Amies in the UK using the same doubled line pattern mentioned above. It's nice to see my assumption is shared.

Not only does Ryder Amies have a premade pattern, they allow for single orders, not minimums of 6 or 12. Prices are comparable to other sites because the VAT is removed for U.S. shipments, which kinda offsets the additional shipping cost. Not cheap, but at least it's obtainable.

Here is a pic of their scarf.
u413f-zl.jpg

Details:
ryderamies.co.uk.jpg

A couple of us talked in IMs about whether to go with yellow, or gold, but there's no real way to tell. Frankly, I don't think it would matter. I'm going with Clare Yellow, white and Trinity Navy for the colors

Diagram.JPG

So there you go. If you're looking for an accurate Prisoner Number 2 scarf, that's a decent place to go.

Now onto the umbrella...but that's another post.

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but thanks for this info. It's just what I needed! Did you have any pics of the scarf you received from Ryder and Armes?

Be seeing you!

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but thanks for this info. It's just what I needed! Did you have any pics of the scarf you received from Ryder and Armes?

Be seeing you!

Happy to help. I spent SO much time trying to find the right pattern/material/vendor/etc that I wanted to share what I had found with others.

I don't have a picture of mine, but it looks exactly like the picture posted above. I'm extremely happy with it.

Happy to help. I spent SO much time trying to find the right pattern/material/vendor/etc that I wanted to share what I had found with others.

I don't have a picture of mine, but it looks exactly like the picture posted above. I'm extremely happy with it.

Thanks. I ordered it and just received an email today it's been shipped. I'll try to post a picture when it comes in. The Prisoner costumes are so distinctively "mod-60s", they are just striking. I cant think of any other show where every character, even those in bit parts, wear such distinctive costumes and clothes.

Thanks. I ordered it and just received an email today it's been shipped. I'll try to post a picture when it comes in. The Prisoner costumes are so distinctively "mod-60s", they are just striking. I cant think of any other show where every character, even those in bit parts, wear such distinctive costumes and clothes.

The outfits are so great. I need to sew up a jacket. You can get a #2 umbrella in the UK at Portmeirion, but they won't ship to the U.S. I had previous sourced out the orginal maker, but they don't make shooting stick umbrellas anymore (though they would probably do one custom).

Great info on the scarf! Might have to get one. I'm halfway through the series, atm. I'm obsessed with the Village and No. 2's umbrella.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back