Tamiya spray and acrylic paint question

DARTH SABER

Master Member
So im thinking of using Tamiya grey spray primer, and then Tamiya white spray for the base.

The rest of the colors on top of the base will be Vallejo acrylics via airbrush etc.

Will acrylic on top Tamiya spray be an issue?

Also, will Tamiya clear coat in top of the the acrylic be an issue?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem with acrylic over Tamiya spray. Tamiya spray over acrylic may be a problem. I'd test that first, but most acrylics are pretty resistant once they're fully cured. Remember Tamiya sprays are acrylic lacquers, hotter than most other hobby paints but not quite as hot as a true lacquer.

No problem with acrylic over Tamiya spray. Tamiya spray over acrylic may be a problem. I'd test that first, but most acrylics are pretty resistant once they're fully cured. Remember Tamiya sprays are acrylic lacquers, hotter than most other hobby paints but not quite as hot as a true lacquer.

Thanks. I figured as much but wanted to double check.

I may just do an acrylic clear coat instead of Tamiya coat.

Thanks.

Yes, do, Don't go for a glosscoat straightaway. The results of even a light dusting are crazy. I painted a model metallic silver(Tamiya acrylic), with blue and yellow striping around the hull-again Tamiya acrylics. As soon as the gloss laquer was applied-Tamiya, straight from the can(very light coats), the whole lot began to run! Not very good.
Put a couple of mistings of matt down first and allow each coat to dry before applying the next.

The tamiya clear coat spray over acrylic isnt a deal breaker for me. Mostly just curiosity.

The main concern is acrylic over a Tamiya spray primer and base.

What about just Tamiya spray color over acrylic, not the Taniya gloss/dull clear coat.
just a simple spray color?

Ill effects as well?

Tamiya sprays are all lacquers, not just the clears. ModelChili on Youtube often uses Tamiya clear coats over Valejo and he doesn't have any trouble with it.

So I used Tamiya Primer and a Tamiya base.
Then I waited a day and did a coat of Vallejo Acrylic Insignia White...now Im hearing I should have waited 2 or 3 days. :/

Who told you to wait? I've been spraying Vallejo over Tamiya without waiting all the time and never had issues. I only wait, if i need to mask.

Who told you to wait? I've been spraying Vallejo over Tamiya without waiting all the time and never had issues. I only wait, if i need to mask.

Just stories from people who have used acrylic over spray paint.
But thanks for the good news! [emoji106]

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back