Iron Spider Suit build

AegidiusDesigns

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone, in honor of Infinity War, I wanted to share my idea and build process for a technique I wanted to try to make an Iron Spider suit. Only problem is, getting it through a zentai suit like all the previous Spidey suits just won't cut it this time. I'm going to be honest, as many effects as the artists may put to the suit to make it look like it glows and reflects like metal, it doesn't look authentic enough. And with the trailer and EW cover now readily available, it's become increasingly clear the Iron Spider will in fact have a VERY metallic finish! So, I want to go one step further and try to recreate that metallic effect. Put the IRON in the Spider.

My idea is to purchase a zentai suit that features the pattern, as accurately as possible. I realize it's risky, since the movie design isn't perfectly finalized, and Marvel LOVE changing designs last minute... (Just ask Cap cosplayers 'bout the new Wakandan shields. Or rather don't, it might trigger them!)

That said, I've settled on a pattern, which is currently being printed and sewn by Zentai Zone. My plan is then to use this suit as a pattern guide, to make small plates of either foam or thermoplastic (I'm not settled, yet, but leaning more towards thermoplastic), which I will wrap in Lamé fabric. I recently purchased this fabric, here's my tests of it stretched over my faceshell and lens combo from Homecoming. (Faceshell is a modified TJack Homecoming shell, lenses are Hasbro's mask ones.. Modded to fit on the shell)

I still intend to use the "matte" printed lycra for the grey/black/dark dark blue. Think it could make for an interesting contrast. Anyhow, hope you all enjoy my journey! Oh, and I'm makin' the arms too. Probably realistically won't get to those till long after the movie's out so I'm waiting for the film to see what they look like!

Main texture references!
Avengers-3-Trailer-Photos-Infinity-War-Characters.jpgavengers-infinity-war-iron-spider-man-statue-1088321-1280x0.jpeg
28958789_1602583119791140_7311443447842340864_n.jpg 29062563_1602583123124473_7534145757067083776_n.jpg29067270_1602583109791141_4481427034798555136_n.jpg

Follow progress!
IG: @Aegidiusdesigns
Facebook: Aegidius Designs

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone, in honor of Infinity War, I wanted to share my idea and build process for a technique I wanted to try to make an Iron Spider suit. Only problem is, getting it through a zentai suit like all the previous Spidey suits just won't cut it this time. I'm going to be honest, as many effects as the artists may put to the suit to make it look like it glows and reflects like metal, it doesn't look authentic enough. And with the trailer and EW cover now readily available, it's become increasingly clear the Iron Spider will in fact have a VERY metallic finish! So, I want to go one step further and try to recreate that metallic effect. Put the IRON in the Spider.

My idea is to purchase a zentai suit that features the pattern, as accurately as possible. I realize it's risky, since the movie design isn't perfectly finalized, and Marvel LOVE changing designs last minute... (Just ask Cap cosplayers 'bout the new Wakandan shields. Or rather don't, it might trigger them!)

That said, I've settled on a pattern, which is currently being printed and sewn by Zentai Zone. My plan is then to use this suit as a pattern guide, to make small plates of either foam or thermoplastic (I'm not settled, yet, but leaning more towards thermoplastic), which I will wrap in Lamé fabric. I recently purchased this fabric, here's my tests of it stretched over my faceshell and lens combo from Homecoming. (Faceshell is a modified TJack Homecoming shell, lenses are Hasbro's mask ones.. Modded to fit on the shell)

I still intend to use the "matte" printed lycra for the grey/black/dark dark blue. Think it could make for an interesting contrast. Anyhow, hope you all enjoy my journey! Oh, and I'm makin' the arms too. Probably realistically won't get to those till long after the movie's out so I'm waiting for the film to see what they look like!

Main texture references!
View attachment 801725View attachment 801726
View attachment 801721 View attachment 801722View attachment 801723

Follow progress!
that is beautiful fabric and it looks super accurate. mind telling me what kind of fabric it is, and a link to where to buy it? thanks

Main texture references!
View attachment 801725View attachment 801726
View attachment 801721 View attachment 801722View attachment 801723

Follow progress!
Out of curiosity, which pattern did you go with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
that is beautiful fabric and it looks super accurate. mind telling me what kind of fabric it is, and a link to where to buy it? thanks

I said it in the post ^^ It's called Lamé Fabric.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamé_(fabric)

Out of curiosity, which pattern did you go with?
So far, thru my little research, I found the House of J customs is closest. He seems to have all the right details in the right places. The legs are more layered, I guess, instead of having gold detail lines. But it'll contrast nicely with the darker blue/grey. I'm still cutting some corners in favor of visual aesthetics over PERFECT accuracy with layered metal panels. So yeah, sure, Arachnid Studios' pattern has little shine effects and more nuance and "pops" out more. I need the proportions more than visual effect for my build, so I'm went with House of J! :)

So far, thru my little research, I found the House of J customs is closest. He seems to have all the right details in the right places. The legs are more layered, I guess, instead of having gold detail lines. But it'll contrast nicely with the darker blue/grey. I'm still cutting some corners in favor of visual aesthetics over PERFECT accuracy with layered metal panels. So yeah, sure, Arachnid Studios' pattern has little shine effects and more nuance and "pops" out more. I need the proportions more than visual effect for my build, so I'm went with House of J! :)
do you have a link to the exact fabric you used?

Right, Arachnid Studios' pattern is good but I agree, I don't feel its highly accurate with details. There are a few things such as that weird shadow on the hand and the back of the waist that are precenting me from buying the pattern. I'll definitely look up House of J tho, thanks!

Right, Arachnid Studios' pattern is good but I agree, I don't feel its highly accurate with details. There are a few things such as that weird shadow on the hand and the back of the waist that are precenting me from buying the pattern. I'll definitely look up House of J tho, thanks!

Well yeah but even then, since I'm going to be making plates over that, the weird shadows over the hands don't really bother me! (though, I'll be the first to admit they look a bit strange in real life. In pictures I think they do the trick) No what bothers me is the shoulder area which is a bit off, the shoulder piece should go "flat" and not end in a point like on the Homecoming suit. If you're looking for the House of J pattern, however, might I recommend you hold off a tiny bit (like a week), since House of J told me he was updating his pattern!

So luckily I've managed to put my order at ZZone on hold to wait for him to update.

Well yeah but even then, since I'm going to be making plates over that, the weird shadows over the hands don't really bother me! (though, I'll be the first to admit they look a bit strange in real life. In pictures I think they do the trick) No what bothers me is the shoulder area which is a bit off, the shoulder piece should go "flat" and not end in a point like on the Homecoming suit. If you're looking for the House of J pattern, however, might I recommend you hold off a tiny bit (like a week), since House of J told me he was updating his pattern!

So luckily I've managed to put my order at ZZone on hold to wait for him to update.
Right yeah, the pictures could be it, I wasnt too sure what purpose that shadow served lol. Oh okay, Ill look up House of J and wait then! Thanks! Also, how well do you think will details be visible on the fabric that you found since its so shiny?

Right yeah, the pictures could be it, I wasnt too sure what purpose that shadow served lol. Oh okay, Ill look up House of J and wait then! Thanks! Also, how well do you think will details be visible on the fabric that you found since its so shiny?

That's why I'm planning on making little plates wrapped in the stuff. I get it's probably hard to get when I don't illustrate it. So the main point of "detail" on the suit -on the shot from Infinity War, at least- is the fact that you can see panel lines through the whole suit. Hopefully, by making different plates, the panel lines will naturally come through :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back