Sad Stan Lee story

They just showed a video of him signing autographs recently where they had to tell him how to spell his name.
His people would hand him an item and a very frail and shaky Stan would start writing. They would tell him, “write Stan Lee, S-T-A-N L-E-E”. It looked like he was in early signs of dementia.

Found the video:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/10/stan-lee-spell-name-sv-comic-con/

this reminds me of the time I went to Jimmy Doohan's last signing. I was so angry with his "handlers". Why can't they just let the man relax at home instead of milking him for every last drop of milk?

This is a truly sad story.

Who else thinks Stan Lee DNA ink is just wrong?
Where is the limit finger nails, hair clippings....

Edit: The problem with getting old is not that I am aging. I could careless.
It is having to witness the aging and passage of such great influences such as Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Leiji Matsumoto, Shōji Kawamori, Gerry Anderson, Stanley Kubrick and the list goes on and on, please do not feel slighted if I omitted a particular favorite.

These creative minds have entertained and stirred the imagination with there creative influence and while there are always new creative personalities the passing or witnessed decline of a great is greatly troubling because while their creations inspire hope, I wish I could return the favor in their hour of need.

Last edited:
The lucid and the confused stories about Stan Lee could both be true.

At 90+ years old many people can still be quite sharp for shorter periods but they become unable to keep it going for hours on end. It starts requiring more of a concentrated effort.

The lucid and the confused stories about Stan Lee could both be true.

At 90+ years old many people can still be quite sharp for shorter periods but they become unable to keep it going for hours on end. It starts requiring more of a concentrated effort.
All the more reason those close to him, who love him, should just make him retire. Let him rest and use those sharp lucid moments to be with family, reminisce and enjoy life. Stop making him go to cons and stop the money milking machines that seem to be trying to get as much out of him while they can.

We don't know he's being "made" to go to cons, etc.

True.... but based upon his condition in some of the videos, nobody seems to be stepping in and telling him he needs to stop and get some rest. I would say that when they know he is getting $100-$500 per fan, they are more than willing to let him stay if he himself is saying he wants to do it.

Back when Stan Lee was managed by Max Anderson. He was in town for a convention. His schedule gave him hours between events to rest. And Stan was lively and lucid. I actually had a chance to chat with Max while waiting in line, I told him he had the greatest job in the world and he rolled his eyes and shook his head, but in a jovial manner. I got the impression that he cared for Stan.

In those recent convention videos, with these new managers, Stan was so tired or out of it someone was spelling his own name to him.

I hope justice will be served and Stan will finally get some well-deserved REST,either at a comic con enjoying himself or with his family like MovieFreak said.

Last edited:
Back when Stan Lee was managed by Max Anderson. He was in town for a convention. His schedule gave him hours between events to rest. And Stan was lively and lucid. I actually had a chance to chat with Max while waiting in line, I told him he had the greatest job in the world and he rolled his eyes and shook his head, but in a jovial manner. I got the impression that he cared for Stan.

I know Max and while I have my differences with him I agree with what Neal Adam's said in a recent interview. Max is street thug and a Rottweiler who is devoted to Stan. The problem is that the Rottweiler has been muzzled and removed from the property and with it the protection afforded to Stan..

I know Max and while I have my differences with him I agree with what Neal Adam's said in a recent interview. Max is street thug and a Rottweiler who is devoted to Stan. The problem is that the Rottweiler has been muzzled and removed from the property and with it the protection afforded to Stan..

Absolutely and he's not the only one. Other people that do the convention circuit have said the same thing about Max, that he takes really good care of Stan. People who get to see how things go behind the curtains.

I hope that somehow, some way Max can get back in there and take care of Stan again.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back