Cheesy/Retro Movie Thread

I just watched Corvette Summer having last seen it in the early 80's on video. The hilarious part is the end where a high school kid wanders off with a hooker, his mother has abandoned him, no money between them... I also noticed much of the Vegas scenes were blatantly filmed in and around Sunland/San Fernando Valley CA. Also not having seen Dollman and Demonic Toys since the early 90's, they really dont hold up at all even for what they were. I see Waxwork was listed, that was well ahead of its time and very ambitious for the budget. The sequel wasnt anything new but if remakes have to happen, Waxwork would be a great re imagining. There is a little known and seemingly impossible Cormen / New Horizons movie from the mid/late 90's originally titled Alien Avengers 2, retittled for video Aliens Among Us, because it was actually entertaining where the first one wasnt. It was one of those rare Corman films that knew what it was and ran with it. Its full of inside jokes such as gun fire and screaming people going on in the background being explained as "its Venice". Anyone that ever worked at the Venice Beach Studio knows the constant noise from the neighborhood, Golds Gym parking lot and "that smell" in stage 1. Its like a Corman reunion speech hidden in the film.
https://youtu.be/_3LRLeuEWEM Boy, oh boy...this flick does not hold up well at all. Loved when I was pre teen. For some reason.
If you have ever see the video for Duran Duran's Wild Boys, its directed by Ridley Scott using the sets, props, puppets, FX, wardrobe for Galaxina 2 as the film didnt happen for obvious reasons.
Black Dynamite was great. Cheesy/Retro on purpose and pulled off perfectly down to using real 70s film stock from what I've read.
Not sure if its been revealed but Black Dynamite started out as a short with no money for the production. Crew members were friends and friends of friends, locations and props and such were also supplied the same way. A sequel has always been talked about but that movie was such a niche appeal not to mention how it was made captured lightening in a bottle.
Forgot to add another film was originally written and went into pre production to be in the same world as Black Dynamite called Aztec Warrior. Michael Jai White was to appear as BD but the production changed, script changed, budget changed, director changed... and it went from filming in Austin Texas to Louisiana. Friends that worked on it whom were there since the original scripts conception said its nothing like what could have been. Instead its another rushed in and out sub par Louisiana bi-product. For those that are not aware, Louisiana was host to a mass of low budget films for some years due to tax incentives. In turn productions chose those tax credits over quality. There was an epic opening fight scene planned out combining comic book style with ultra realism as it depicted the hero Aztec Warrior in his prime where the film shows us Luis Guzman as the present incarnation. What could have been as well with the slew of classic martial arts actors that were to come to the table in cameos due to whom the original fight stunts coordinator was.

Last edited:
I can't believe I'm about to confess one of my guiltiest of guilty pleasure movies I watch every once in a while. When I first came across this movie, it was sitting on the shelf of the horror section of my hometown's Movie Gallery back before they went from movies on VHS to DVD. And after a while, when they decided to sell the VHS on clearance, I snatched it up. Though it's a B-Grade horror story, I think the premise could be redone as a modern horror thriller. But, I still prefer this as it is. I rebought the movie as a part of a four pack of Roger Corman films, which included Lady Frankenstein, Time Walker and Grotesque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back