The Mandalorian (TV series)

Re: Jon Favreau Star Wars TV series..

I really hope this is Prequel, OT, or before either and not post ROTJ. I'm done with any new post ROTJ SW.

How much more OT do yall need? If they keep sticking to that era and you're just gonna get more over-saturating it with senseless and useless detailing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

I say go waaaaaay before. A lot of what was considered cannon from the Old Republic books/comics is gone (maybe all of it). There is a lot of history to work with. Could be interesting to see how the Sith and Jedi came about, etc. I know, I would like to know/see more.

Last edited by a moderator:

A lot of what was considered cannon from the Old Republic books/comics is gone (maybe all of it).

The only stuff that's gone-gone is the post-ROTJ EU. From Truce At Bakura on. Poof. Everything EU from earlier than that is in a heisenbergian state of quasi-existence. I've lost track of all the little things that have already been worked back into the new canon. What has me most excited for future development is the reference to the Hundred Year Darkness in the current Marvel comics. It's tricky to know how much to hang on a single reference. Did Delta Squad showing up in Clone Wars mean everything in the Republic Commando game happen? That one reference to the second Jedi Schism -- how much do I read into it? Those exiled ex-Jedi were the ones who found and interbred with the Sith species, their descendents created the Sith Empire, all of the KOTOR/TOR/Tales of the Jedi stuff was a result of that. And may be again. Only way anything is gone is if it's directly and specifically overwritten.

The Republic Commando stuff is what I really hope we see continue in some form. Even the novels, with a few tiny retcons (Mandalor and the head chips) work. I at least want to know what happened to Sev! The Republic Commandos, Delta Squad included, are canon, just not necessarily the game content.

I think the KOTOR era would be too perfect for a show, even animated, so they will skip it. I think the execs will figure what even I did initially, that it would be too unfamiliar for casual fans.

The Republic Commando stuff is what I really hope we see continue in some form. Even the novels, with a few tiny retcons (Mandalor and the head chips) work.

Mandalore is a fun but frustrating thing. Concordia is a dead ringer for the Mandalore of the books and comics. And, since it has the same atmospheric density and gravity, it's of roughly equivalent mass to Mandalore itself. This isn't a moon -- they're trojan planets. One possibility is that Mandalore ends up being abandoned entirely, with COncordia becoming the new Mandalore. For the Clone Wars period, I could almost see the Death Watch, who generally refused to acknowledge Satine's or the New Mandalorians' legitimacy, claiming their world was Mandalore, and the other one just a blasted husk.

I think the KOTOR era would be too perfect for a show, even animated, so they will skip it. I think the execs will figure what even I did initially, that it would be too unfamiliar for casual fans.

I think there's plenty that's recognizable as Star Wars in the era:

Nomi-Sunrider-and-Ulic-Qel-Droma.jpg

1940008-2929918835_f14f822e94.jpg

latest

Well their choices would be go to unfamiliar territory - or - beat a known territory to death.

CW and Rebels worked because those era's weren't actually defined. All of CW takes place between 2 and 3 and Rebels in the 4ish years prior to R1. Those WERE undefined areas.

The only undefined area that the 'casual fan' knows nothing about is between ROTJ-TFA which is a large zone. There's almost certainly a show there. In order to see ezra/thrawn again there flat out has to be. But, other trilogies/moves? (aka RJ's) would be foolish to be in those zones. No one will want to watch movies between 6 and 7 that don't feature the main characters. That's largely all the casual fan wants to know about in that era. No one is going to rush to watch movies over a whole new set of characters in that era. Not going to happen.

On TV's shows, yeah - those area are more open. But face it. Any of those shows that try to cater to the 'causual fan' are going to have the same problem. You're not going to stick a live action SW on ABC, tuesdays at 9 Eastern, place it 5 years after ROTJ and draw a broad audience if you're not focusing on Han/Luke/Liea. Major fans will watch, casual fans most likely bail out after 2-3 weeks when they realize they aren't going to get what they wanted.

The streaming stuff can easily hit those area because there's probably enough die-hards to make it feasible.

Keep in mind the PREQUELS had a small problem with this as well. There were numerous reports in 1999 where people were confused because they thought it was going to have han/luke/leia even though all the advertising told you otherwise (more or less).

Mandalore is a fun but frustrating thing. Concordia is a dead ringer for the Mandalore of the books and comics. And, since it has the same atmospheric density and gravity, it's of roughly equivalent mass to Mandalore itself. This isn't a moon -- they're trojan planets. One possibility is that Mandalore ends up being abandoned entirely, with COncordia becoming the new Mandalore. For the Clone Wars period, I could almost see the Death Watch, who generally refused to acknowledge Satine's or the New Mandalorians' legitimacy, claiming their world was Mandalore, and the other one just a blasted husk.

That's kind of what I thought they could do. The new True Mandalorians don't acknowledge the old Mandalor because of their pacifism and abandoning their heritage, so they found a planet that they renamed and recognize as Mandalor. I think for the books, the main problem is the lack of the brain chip to explain Order 66. In those books they treated it as just another order. The Nulls could maybe not have that chip depending on when it's implanted since they were labeled defective.

I think for the books, the main problem is the lack of the brain chip to explain Order 66. In those books they treated it as just another order. The Nulls could maybe not have that chip depending on when it's implanted since they were labeled defective.

There's much more of a disconnect as far as the clones go. I'm fine with the biochip to enhance unthinking obedience to certain conditioned things. I'd even advocate Order 66 being just one of many. Either one on its own would invite scrutiny. The two together as individually innocuous parts of the overall program are much better to hide the trap of that one order.

Clone Wars showed that the biochip is there in still-gestating clones, so it's early. The Nulls in the books were early attempts -- certain things tweaked too far one way, others not sufficiently squelched, etc. Possible the first few prototype batches didn't have the biochip. Possible they did, but were too independently minded to fall under its sway when the order went out, etc. There are workarounds a good author could do.

The disconnect I mentioned was... Well, first of all Karen noted what many of us did after AOTC -- "one million units", if referring to individual troopers, was woefully insufficient to wage a galactic-scale war. More than that died just on one side, just in one battle in WWII -- and this is just one planet. One solution some fans put forward is that "units" refers to multiple individuals. It could be squads, it could be companies, brigades, whatever. Enh... Maybe. That was just one of the many issues I had with how the clone army was presented in the film. We had the active troopers who we saw armoring up, and who were in that first battle... But we also saw not-yet-fully-grown troopers, half-grown trainees, and many, many still in the gestation tanks. Those latter categories were definitely not going to be ready to fight unless the war dragged on for many years. What portion of that "one million units" was actually ready and fighting in the couple years of the Clone Wars?

Cue my refrain of "Dammit, George".

Karen's solution was to bring out the Spaarti cloning tech of the older EU that could grow clones much faster, set up in secret by Palpatine to swell the army even faster. This was the origin of the Coruscant Shocktroopers and the 501st, late in the war... Except Clone Wars has now shown us the Coruscant Guard and the 501st operating far earlier, being Kaminoan clones, and no hint at all of secret accelerated cloning facilities.

Sooo... I like and want to keep Kal Skirata and the other Cuy'val Dar as part of the training cadre; I like and want to keep Omega Squad, the Null and Alpha ARC Troopers; the ARC Troopers and Republic Commandos being combined into the Imperial Commandos after Empire Day, later to evolve into Storm Commandos... And so on. Including the specifics of the stories that aren't specifically overwritten.

So, basically, there are problems in both the canon and the old EU, and it would be locely if something new came along that found a happy medium addressing the issues in both.

--Jonah

Re: Live Action Star Wars Series

I love this old 80-90s artwork...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Favreau's streaming 'Star Wars' series is 'The Mandalorian'

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/03/star-wars-the-mandalorian-disney/?yptr=yahoo

We still don't know the name of Disney's subscription streaming service, but we do have some details for a live-action Star Wars show that will appear on it. Jon Favreau announced on Instagram that The Mandalorian is set "after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order," with a "lone gunfighter" emerging in the tradition of Jango and Boba Fett on the outer reaches of the galaxy.
Reports have indicated that the series could cost as much as $100 million to make, so the expectations are high. Other live-action shows that we could see when it launches next year are ones focusing on Marvel Cinematic Universe characters like Loki or Scarlet Witch (presumably Favreau is too busy to star in an Iron Man spin-off). We're also expecting new episodes of Star Wars: Clone Wars, so even if some of the older films aren't available right away, fans should have a few reasons to be interested when it arrives.

Re: Jon Favreau's streaming 'Star Wars' series is 'The Mandalorian'

FAVS!

I love when a true nerd - who gets it - is in control.

BTW... If you've never seen CHEF, what are you waiting for? WHAT YOU DON'T LIKE TO FEEL GOOD?!?!?

Re: Jon Favreau's streaming 'Star Wars' series is 'The Mandalorian'

I was right with ya at "Mandalorian" and stopped after I read "after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order," I don't know why they are dead set on only doing post ROTJ stuff. I think a lot of people who don't like the Sequels don't want anything to do with that period now. Plus they really killed the Mandalorians when Lucas made them pacifists in The Clone Wars. They should have followed what Karen Traviss came up with in the Republic Commando novels, which is closer (if I remember correctly) to the Marvel comic Mandalorians.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back