The Mandalorian (TV series)

Re: Jon Favreau Star Wars TV series..

I wanted Paul Bettany as Lobot but I still want THIS to happen
IMG_20181015_153420.jpg

IMG_20181015_153420.jpg

Or they're new fans who haven't obsessively analyzed every frame of the OT?

Isn't that what I said? ;)

But seriously, and snark aside... My reflex when I see a thing I don't get is to look around before opening my mouth. See also the "Here, let me Google that for you" thing and related phenomena. So it's like...

*sees the guy making the new Star Wars show post a pic of something that looks like an ice-cream maker*
"Huh... Is... is that an ice-cream maker?"
*starts typing 'Star Wars ice cream --' into Google, autofill suggests 'Star Wars ice cream guy', clicky*
*sees many, many links about Willrow Hood, "The Ice Cream Maker Guy", and other terms he's known by, as well as some fun accounts and videos of "The Running of the Hoods" at various conventions*
"Ah. Cool."

I mean, I was vaguely aware of him back in the day, but his surge in popularity over the last decade is hard to avoid if you're in the Star Wars fandom at all -- longtime or recent. Heck, they've even done an action figure of him. Read the Insider? There have been more than one article about him specifically or about obscure background characters. Etc. But even if one had somehow managed to miss all of that, the most rudimentary of research skills are all that's needed to discover what's going on without risking inviting ridicule by asking what's up with the thing that was obviously posted because it has some significance, a meaning that people would be expected to recognize.

I know, I'm impatient with people sometimes.

Isn't that what I said? ;)

But seriously, and snark aside... My reflex when I see a thing I don't get is to look around before opening my mouth. See also the "Here, let me Google that for you" thing and related phenomena. So it's like...

*sees the guy making the new Star Wars show post a pic of something that looks like an ice-cream maker*
"Huh... Is... is that an ice-cream maker?"
*starts typing 'Star Wars ice cream --' into Google, autofill suggests 'Star Wars ice cream guy', clicky*
*sees many, many links about Willrow Hood, "The Ice Cream Maker Guy", and other terms he's known by, as well as some fun accounts and videos of "The Running of the Hoods" at various conventions*
"Ah. Cool."

I mean, I was vaguely aware of him back in the day, but his surge in popularity over the last decade is hard to avoid if you're in the Star Wars fandom at all -- longtime or recent. Heck, they've even done an action figure of him. Read the Insider? There have been more than one article about him specifically or about obscure background characters. Etc. But even if one had somehow managed to miss all of that, the most rudimentary of research skills are all that's needed to discover what's going on without risking inviting ridicule by asking what's up with the thing that was obviously posted because it has some significance, a meaning that people would be expected to recognize.

I know, I'm impatient with people sometimes.

Trust me, I'm well aware of him (my husband is the only one who's ever beaten me at Star Wars trivia, which is how I knew I HAD to marry him ;)). BUT, that said, there is more than enough room in the fandom for casual fans and super-fans like us who know the most asinine minutia about the franchise.

NDGT would be a great Wilrow Hood, or really anything in Star Wars.
Yeah, but they won't hire him because he'd spend most of his time telling them how they got everything about space wrong.

Last edited:

Yeah, but they won't hire him because he's spend most of his time telling them how they got everything about space wrong.

"First... ice cream in clouds in space wouldnt work, having a city at an altitude where theres clouds would mean the temperature would cause the ice cream to be solid ice, not at all creamy. If I were to play as Willrow, I would explain its not an ice cream maker, but a popsicle maker, i believe that people among the clouds would love popsicles" :lol :lol

I saw a podcast with mark Hammil talking about NDT He is actually a Star Wars fan and appreciates and understands that isn’t based on any physics. Kinda cool.

Fantasy is the keyword when breaking down SW, Disney knew it and they kinda know fantasy

Well, I think the chances for a Fett "solo" movie are now officially dead.
LF / Disney will use this TV series as a "substitute" for the Fett film. Which, in the end, may be a good thing.

Well, it's official from Kathleen Kennedy. No Boba fett stand alone film.

So, QUESTIONS:
1) Should this new Mandalorian series, whatever it turns out to be, have an anonymous protagonist?
2) Should we EVER see his or her face?
3) Should he/she EVER have the helmet off (ala Jango?)
4) Will they make this some relative of the Fetts?
5) Is this really going to be "Clint Eastwood in space", as was the inspiration for the ESB Fett?

1. Depends on the stories they want to tell. Some need anonymous protagonists, some don't.
2. Depends on the stories they're trying to tell. There's no "yes/no" ultimate truth to seeing a mandalorians face
3. Depends on the stories. We have nothing about what story will be told, so can't make a judgment.
4. Given the current cannon, it's not likely. Jango and Boba are no longer actual mandalorians, so sayeth the new cannon. So a mandalorians show about a non mandalorians family would seem an odd choice.
5. It's what a lot of us hope for, but there's no way to know yet.

and now that I've been a dick, here are my thoughts on how I'd certainly like to see the answers to those questions pan out.

1. Anonymous protagonist - I personally feel like I'd get tired of a long term premise where we knew nothing about the main character. they could certainly do some interesting things, like have the world around him know little to nothing about him, while the viewers have insight into some of his own thoughts and personal details. be it through flash backs, punisher style war journal entries, secret meetings he has with those who DO know him ("You father would be ashamed to see you like this *insert character's childhood nick name*. You abandoned them all"). Or even something where we the audience knew very little for some number of episodes, until something breaks the anonymity.

2./3. See his face? - I've certainly never seen anything in the old or new star wars lore that says mandalorians never show their faces; some of the comics strongly suggested that taking your helmet (or any of your armor) off when you weren't extremely secure was essentially against battle doctrine. So I'd certainly enjoy if the character did his best to keep fully armored up when out and about. It would certainly be my preference to not have him lounging around in a canteena with his helmet off in every episode. But they could find ways of having him helmet-less a lot that didn't bother me. the helmet could be the "You're about to get jacked up signal" to the baddies and viewers ("Oh ****, he's fully strapped, everyone run"). they could even do a Zoro type thing, where a portion of the show is him out and about as "Bob the freighter pilot", and he does his dirty business as the Mandalorian.

4. Related to Fett? - I'd be kind of surprised if they made him a relative of the Fetts. If anything I'd expect a recurring theme to be him being compared to /asked about "Fett the Mandalorian" and him setting folks straight about how Fett wasn't Mandalorian, etc, etc BAR FIGHT!

5. "The Man with no Clan Name?" - There's so many different hybrid ways they could go about this, combined with all the different ways they could answer the previous questions, that I've got no real dog in the fight. I'd just hope for consistency, and over all good execution of whatever rout they go. that's what will be important to me. I'd rather watch a well done version of this show that I never even imagined, than watch a half assed version that matches some fan fiction I wrote.

Re: Live Action Star Wars Series

Maybe it's been asked. I'm just wondering who will subscribe to the streaming service, mainly for this.

Probably a "no" for me. Probably.

So, has this Disney streaming service actually started yet? I have only streamed stuff through my Tivo where it is already set up, Netflix, VuDu, Hulu, HBOgo, Youtube, and a few others. However it has no option to add more streaming services. I'm looking at maybe getting a Roku+ stick for maybe getting the Disney service. Also I want to probably get Amazon Prime when The Expanse starts back up.

However I don't have an open HDMI port currently. I've got my Tivo going to one, my Blu-ray, and a DVD player (my Bluray players won't seem to play a burned dvd disc). Can you get hdmi adapters to get more ports like you can with usb?

Also, my Tivo works with what is called a "bridge" so the actual streaming signal runs though the coax cable, bypassing the wifi. I'm concerned about the Roku as my modem is way in the back of the house. It's an Arris 3582 modem that actually runs for about $200. How far will wifi broadcast so there is no buffering? I'd say my modem is a good 20 or 25 feet away from my living room tv. Also it is in the cabinet of my computer desk. Will I have to move my modem?

How hard are these Rokus to set up and get going?

you can get HDMI splitters. I looked into them a while back when I was starting to run low on HDMIs myself. Your TV won't know there are two things plugged in through one HDMI, so you'll just need to pick two things you don't have on at the same time.

You should be over all fine with your modem in the back of the house, and using a Fire Stick or a Roku elsewhere. You might notice issues if you're trying to stream 4K sports that way or something, but most casual TV watching won't be an issue. And if you do find out that you're having enough interference that you want to try and remedy the situation, you can just pick up a run of the mill wifi repeater to throw in one the the in-between rooms, and you'll be fine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back