The Mandalorian (TV series)

Re: Live Action Star Wars Series

Frack! I knew they were going to do this.
1f621.png
I'm NOT going to be spending another $10 a month just for a TV series. Disney wants it's own slice of the pie and is further saturating an already saturated market. I don't want it have to get 15 different streaming services just go watch movies. I mean, Disney is already trying to kill off the theater business...

Great...gotta launch another @#$%ing streaming service with it. Thanks a lot...

This is the future of content consumption. Prices will come down as I‎t becomes more ubiquitous and will be far more cost efficient then cable.

This is exciting, from the conference call today.

“We are developing not just one, but a few Star Wars series specifically for the Disney direct-to-consumer app. We’ve mentioned that and we are close to being able to reveal at least one of the interties that is developing that for us. Because the deal isn’t completely closed, we can’t be specific about that,” said Iger during an earnings call (via The Hollywood Reporter). “I think you’ll find the level of talent … on the television front will be rather significant as well.”

Last edited by a moderator:

This is exciting, from the conference call today.

“We are developing not just one, but a few Star Wars series specifically for the Disney direct-to-consumer app. We’ve mentioned that and we are close to being able to reveal at least one of the interties that is developing that for us. Because the deal isn’t completely closed, we can’t be specific about that,” said Iger during an earnings call (via The Hollywood Reporter). “I think you’ll find the level of talent … on the television front will be rather significant as well.”
I remain dubious about the viability of these "ecosystem" apps. I've dabbled a bit with Amazon's channels (e.g., HBO and Showtime), but that's a far cry from actually using a specific app that's a closes system to watch one content producer's stuff. I'd rather be able to get it all in one place (eg Netflix, Amazon) or get it all for free (e.g., the CW app).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I remain dubious about the viability of these "ecosystem" apps. I've dabbled a bit with Amazon's channels (e.g., HBO and Showtime), but that's a far cry from actually using a specific app that's a closes system to watch one content producer's stuff. I'd rather be able to get it all in one place (eg Netflix, Amazon) or get it all for free (e.g., the CW app).

I think the difference in this case, Dan, is something Iger said to CNBC. Disney is in a unique competitive position for a streaming service relative to Netflix and Amazon. They own SW, Marvel, and Pixar are are grinding out content based on those proven IP’s. They have lower content costs because they know these franchises have built in audiences. Netflix and Amazon have to roll the dice on new content. For every Marvelous Mrs. Maisel or Stranger Things are projects they developed which never went anywhere. Add to that the addition of Fox assets and Disney is well positioned to be a viable alternative service.

I think the difference in this case, Dan, is something Iger said to CNBC. Disney is in a unique competitive position for a streaming service relative to Netflix and Amazon. They own SW, Marvel, and Pixar are are grinding out content based on those proven IP’s. They have lower content costs because they know these franchises have built in audiences. Netflix and Amazon have to roll the dice on new content. For every Marvelous Mrs. Maisel or Stranger Things are projects they developed which never went anywhere. Add to that the addition of Fox assets and Disney is well positioned to be a viable alternative service.
That's a good point, although I think there is a limit to how many can survive.

Re: Jon Favreau Star Wars TV series..

Hopefully they'll come up with some all-new characters rather than centering it on '"young (insert existing character)" and use a mix of new and familiar places in the Galaxy.

Depends on what's up to him. My guess is, it is far from make a show, pick whatever era and characters you want. It's probably a defined time frame and a defined hero and basic premise along with a list of what you can't use.

Doesn't mean it won't be great. (Doesn't mean it will either, but i have high hopes for him).

I'm guessing were looking at the $100 million budget for the SW show, perhaps Favreau's. $10M per episode is GOT level budgeting.

"The goal in the first year is to generate four to five original movies, and five TV series for the streaming service. Latter will cost between $25 million-$35 million for 10 episodes, but an exceptionally ambitious series could have a budget cap of $100 million for that 10-episode season."

During OT would be amazing, especially having actual props and vehicles, I like the familiar yet new feeling I got from Rogue One. I have faith in Favreau, he's a versatile director

I really hope this is Prequel, OT, or before either and not post ROTJ. I'm done with any new post ROTJ SW.

Stay away from anything established. Go way forward or way back.

During the OT would be boring. We know the main story already and followed the main thrust of the the whole thing. Same with the PT really. Though with as wide spread at the CW series made it - it could focus on a single planet's struggle during the period and we wouldn't know the outcome of that planet really. Safest place though is a whole new time period.

How much more OT do yall need? If they keep sticking to that era and you're just gonna get more over-saturating it with senseless and useless detailing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back