"Manco" - For a Few Dollars More

Dent Eastwood

Hello, all...

My name is Noah, I'm from the Old Dominion of Virginia. I've had a interest in props for the longest time...mainly Star Wars. As you'll see below (a fun little mash up!!).

I've been lurking here and there, researching options and decided to make my own thread for this character to add for reference for other people doing the same build later on. That character is no other than Eastwood's Man With No Name, Manco (Joe, or Blondie). **The shirt and vest in the pics are to improvise until I hunt down suitable replacements.

The first part I decided to tackle was the poncho. I decided to go with the "old film" appearance look; the tannish brown color that I've always known since I was younger. Personal preference. I snagged this from Straightline collectibles. I tried one poncho before this one, but ended up selling it as it was too long. I was picky about the length in the front as I wanted it to stop about 3-4" above the knee. OCD, I know :facepalm

As for the pants...I discovered these by mistake. I've read on other threads it was Levi's but found a nice alternative. Hotopic has a brand called RUDE and they have slim cut jeans with some elasticity to them but still feel like denim but a hair softer. It comes in hand to wrap around the leather shin cuffs of the boot

As for the boots, I will get to those next time.

The vest has been giving me trouble. I've been on the hunt as for late a Sherpa Faux Shearling vest from old navy on ebay. There's an xl-xxl listed but I'm not sure it can be taken down to a medium-large.

As for the hat, I bought it at a local gun store but. It was a size lower than what I normally wear and left a red mark on my forehead and have since took it back. For some reason they don't have L's.

More to come..

received_441837502881175.jpeg received_441838866214372_1513829679727.png IMG_20171211_220944_157.jpg

received_441837502881175.jpeg

received_441838866214372_1513829679727.png

IMG_20171211_220944_157.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the warm welcome!

Tomorrow I will be adding more pics of my progress. Matter of fact, the last bits arrived today; which was the hat, vest and spurs. But it doesn't stop
there as I need to do some sewing work on the vest. As you see below, here is a test fit
I'll fill in the details, and the reason why tomorrow when I'm awake .

The cell phone camera isn't cutting it (As you can see below) so I'ma break out the nice camera and contribute details to this iconic costume for people to stumble across in their No Name journey
Screenshot_20180314-144343.jpg Screenshot_20180314-144429.jpg 20180314_144000_1.gif TAP TO ENLARGE. 3rd Image is supposed to be a .gif; tap to play
Screenshot_20180314-222609.jpg

Again, more details coming tomorrow

Thank you

Last edited:
Sorry for the late update. Vest is finally done. I made a video to show it off.

The vest was a Smiffy's vest, however, I went in and sewed more faux wool to reinforce and removed the blue shirt it was attached to it and trashed it. I'll be post pics of that process later today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sorry for the delay, here is my part list. The vest will be mentioned last as I will explain how I upgraded it. Also below is cost and a cool pic I edited.

First, the boots. These were my fathers boots; there not square tipped like Clint's. However they have wooden soles, with a layer of rubber on the heal for ease. They have that knocking sound with the stride, along with the jingling spurs which sells the costume.

Make of the boots: Ariat heritage western boots
Spurs: Straight Line Collectibles (Brown strap)

As I've stated before, the black jeans come from a brand line from Hottopic called: XXX Rude. The material helps cling to you leg a bit more and give that slim appearance Clint had in the films. The gun built is also Straigh Line's but ask him if he has any belts with defects to save a bit of cash and to make sure he has them in your size.

The blue dress shirt is pretty self explanatory; basically any blue vertical striped dress shirt will do. The actual dress shirt in the film had rounded off collar angles on the front and had two pockets on each breast.

Black neck scarf, any scrap of black fabric. & Cigar, real or fake.

Hat is the Rabbit fur Clint hat from Straight Line. Good weight and fit. Comes with hat band that is engraved with the same print from the screen used. I've been researching on how to shape the brim to mimic the screen used and read from another thread to use steam.

Lastly, the vest is the Smiffy's Wandering Gunmen costume vest. Initially this vest is OK however, everything else can be scrapped or donated to Goodwill. The vest does come with a blue dress shirt however it's already installed in conjunction with the vest. The blue dress shirt fabric felt stiff and thus my cause for removing it. I used an xacto knife and fabric scissors to cut it out.

The overhauled was fairly simple; I went to Joan's Fabric and found some wool liner that was close to the ones already netted into the vest. Then my mother, who is efficient at sewing and crafts taught me how to make a pattern with the preexisting vest. A yard of this material was enough for what I needed. Simply lay the fabric out on a large surface, and pin it down (follow the yellow pin marks). We started with the right and left interior and did the back last. Here's some photos of the process and the string used to blind in:

For the back. Sides. String
20180315_123940.jpg20180315_125800.jpg20180315_131412.jpg20180315_131422.jpg

Sides.
20180315_125810.jpg

The best way again was to lay it out and section the vest off. Do the side panels first, then the back. Think of it like tracing. When you remove the blue shirt from the vest, you'll be left behind with blue fabric on the collar. We just took a thin section of wool fabric and covered it.

I hope this aids someone in their costume build as this was a fun one to do. The cost of this may vary, as I already had the core components for this build already laying around. The main things I wanted to get right were the hat and the poncho since they make the Man With No Name. Overall, around $300 went into make this rig, and wanted to make it look good as it is my first non Star Wars cosplay.

Post questions if you have them. Thanks.

clintocmplete.jpg Click to enlarge. 29339821_1734087783320377_3557681347268968448_o_1521318885656.png Click to enlarge IMG_20180317_165308_144.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back