The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!!

I guess I missed the part where the level of someone’s “passion” as a collector or a fan is determined by how much they know (or care) about the original items their collectibles are based upon.

I would imagine it’s possible to be a passionate stamp collector without knowing all too much about the history of what’s printed on the stamps. Or to be a model train collector without being able to give specifications about real-life locomotives. Undoubtedly there will be some overlap in interest in some cases, those who are interested in both the replica and in what is being replicated, but I think it’s possible to have a singular focus, too.

Probably safest to say: “I wouldn’t buy this,” and leave it to those who might. Different strokes, etc. 3 pages in, I think the point has been made, and if not I don’t think we’re getting any closer to making it.

I think it's much more insidious than that. This is clearly a cash grab under the guise of a licenced product. The quality is sub standard and simply not fit for purpose. If this product was going for half the price we'd still be saying it was a terrible product. If it was the other way round and the quality/details were exactly right, it'd still be a grossly over priced product. There's no justification for the price besides laziness and greed.

I agree with @azheat01 I spent $600 total on my Vader...(Rubies with poseable mannequin) Vader.jpeg

Attachments

• 4211676B-799D-4ADD-B368-AB0435487C24.jpeg
    4211676B-799D-4ADD-B368-AB0435487C24.jpeg
    957.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1F067F9D-2037-4147-B6EE-0626845ABFC3.jpeg
    1F067F9D-2037-4147-B6EE-0626845ABFC3.jpeg
    911.1 KB · Views: 84
I agree that it’s expensive, but it doesn’t seem out of line compared with other Sideshow offerings. I wouldn’t consider $500+ for a 1/4 scale statue a “bargain,” either. Considering Sideshow sold a Vader bust that cost $1200, an entire life-size figure for $9000 doesn’t seem terrible. Especially since the pricing for these isn’t linear (a 1/4 scale statue does not cost a quarter as much as a life sized one, etc.) Could it be cheaper? Probably, but when you’re the only licensed option around (and most people don’t know about all the fan-made options that exist), companies probably have a fair bit of leeway to charge whatever they think people will pay. This isn’t the first life-sized statue Sideshow has produced, so I’m sure they aren’t just making numbers up.

The simple facts are that these aren’t cheap to develop and produce, licensing is a factor, and beyond that, they do have to turn a profit in the end. They’re running a business and not a charity, after all.

Such a shame when those two are compared. Oddly enough...their released Vader looks a lot like Vader from Disney's Star Tours ride...

Ginos prototype had a little bit too much "chestmuscles" but was another level.I have no clue why they did not used his parts for the base of the lifesizefigure.
Gino should let us know what happened!

Finally have a camera to show off my Vader when Its on display and not trooping.

This is where my CFO helmet will be going, for now it is my DS trooping "damaged" helmet! LOL Trooping has not been kind to my fiberglass parts lol.

But the thing is why cant licensed companies get there stuff to look like this. They do not have to use the same high end materials but still can achieve a similar look with accurate details. They seem to not care.

This is what accuracy looks like.

PS. these are Iphone 5C photos, they came out crappy! I need to invest in a good camera.

Attachments

• IMG_4797[1].JPG
    IMG_4797[1].JPG
    856 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4809[1].JPG
    IMG_4809[1].JPG
    500.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4791[1].JPG
    IMG_4791[1].JPG
    750.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4804[1].JPG
    IMG_4804[1].JPG
    776.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4802[1].JPG
    IMG_4802[1].JPG
    623 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4807[1].JPG
    IMG_4807[1].JPG
    850.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4801[1].JPG
    IMG_4801[1].JPG
    769.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4789[1].JPG
    IMG_4789[1].JPG
    540.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Finally have a camera to show off my Vader when Its on display and not trooping.

This is where my CFO helmet will be going, for now it is my DS trooping "damaged" helmet! LOL Trooping has not been kind to my fiberglass parts lol.

But the thing is why cant licensed companies get there stuff to look like this. They do not have to use the same high end materials but still can achieve a similar look with accurate details. They seem to not care.

This is what accuracy looks like.

PS. these are Iphone 5C photos, they came out crappy! I need to invest in a good camera.

That looks amazing. The ONLY thing I’d want from Sideshow from this abomination is the base.

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back