Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Subscribe
    Mar 13, 2018, 2:34 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #51

Edraven99 said: View Post
    I'm not going to argue whether this is overpriced or not, but as I've stated elsewhere in other threads, it's different strokes for different folks.

I've got a buddy who's a mega Star Wars fan; possibly even more so than I am, but for him, if it isn't licensed, he wants nothing to do with it. For him even though he'd probably never sell his stuff, it's about the 'investment' and re-sale value that a licensed product has and the rightly or wrongly perception that a commercially made product is a better 'quality' made product and more accurate than any fan can produce. And he's far from alone in these beliefs.

You look at any eFX or MR produced product on eBay and they go for thousands of dollars; not just asking price, but realized prices.

Take for a prime example the MR Obi Wan ANH weathered lightsaber. I used to own one and it's a great product. But it's inaccurate because when it was made, not all of the real parts were identified and they got some of it wrong. But the re-sale value for one of these beauties is about $1,500 - $2,500 depending on whether you have all of the 'accessories' - shipping box, plaque, etc.

Or you can get one from Roman that has all of the parts replicated faithfully from the original parts and in steel no less for about $500.

I wasn't the original owner of the MR Obi I sold and the previous owner had rubbed off the 'Lucasfilm' script on the hilt as an accuracy mod. Believe you me I had a heck of a time selling it on Rebelscum because without that TM Lucasfilm script, how would they know it wasn't a knockoff? Or worse yet, some fan made hilt?

For some collectors, it's not about accuracy and more about 'collectability'.

I daresay that if I was dumb enough to ever sell my SL Vader helmet, it probably wouldn't fetch as much on the aftermarket than an eFX Legend of even a Sideshow 1:1 bust.

But to each their own and there's nothing wrong with that....
    Each to his own, but I am not a fan of that mind set. Why pay $9K for really half assed quality just because its licensed? To me that is someone who has no passion for the hobby and is just doing it for the investment. A true fan should put quality into consideration which this sideshow piece does not have for their asking price. I would see this piece to fit the 1,000-3,000 dollar range.

Seriously 9K for pleather. That alone is absurd.
  2. RPF Premium Member Edraven99's Avatar
    Mar 13, 2018, 2:52 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #52

vader45 said: View Post
    Each to his own, but I am not a fan of that mind set. Why pay $9K for really half assed quality just because its licensed? To me that is someone who has no passion for the hobby and is just doing it for the investment. A true fan should put quality into consideration which this sideshow piece does not have for their asking price. I would see this piece to fit the 1,000-3,000 dollar range.

I hate to break it to you, but we're the niche market that prefers 'accurate' to licensed.

How many people paid $1,200 for a Prop Shop lightsaber when they could have bought a real vintage Graflex and parts from Roy and others and gotten an even more accurate hilt?

Why do people pay $2,500 for a life-sized Yoda statue from Sideshow when they can get a Cyberman one?

And I'd argue that some guy out there that's willing to drop $10k on a Star Wars statue is probably more of a 'true fan' than many of us are.... either that or a fool with lots of excess money to spend... either way, if it make he/she happy...
    From
    Germany
    Mar 13, 2018, 2:57 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #53

To me that is someone who has no passion for the hobby and is just doing it for the investment.
    And? What is wrong with that? If that is what he likes, why not. You donīt understand him, i maybe donīt understand him, maybe noone here can understand him, but .....

With your argumentation he didnīt takes a rare part away from those that want accuracy. Those can still buy the accurate stuff, he is harming noone.
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:02 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #54

Im just looking at this piece as a good example that license pieces can be junk and I just dont understand why anybody would buy junk just to make money. Anybody is welcome to buy it but for investment but there are better options then Star Wars props.

Like I said each to their own. Im not putting them down for their own preferences, I just sometimes do not understand it. But that is with anything out there, we all will never understand one another to a full extent.
  5. CSM-117 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:22 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #55

what an effin joke

Sideshow can't get anything right, like ever. Can they?
    From
    Fairhaven, MA
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:32 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #56

There are no links to the fan made stuff but you can direct him to forum.501stsithlords.com and that is where he will get all the information he needs to build a screen accurate Vader with twice the accuracy and a fraction of the cost. Most off these guys do not advertise or have their own websites. The quality sells their items.
    Thank you
  7. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Stuart, FL
    Mar 13, 2018, 3:47 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #57

That just bad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    From
    Scotland
    Mar 13, 2018, 6:10 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #58

I stopped buying sideshow crap years ago.....
    From
    Dracula's Castle
    Mar 14, 2018, 6:40 AM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #59

Exactly. Not sure how can someone consider this 9k statue an investment - there are way better options out therefor investing your hard earned cash than Star Wars collectibles. I get that it is licensed and (maybe!) limited, but in a few years there might be more Vader statues released by other companies, or even by Sideshow once again. And even if not, do you think people will line up to buy such an expensive statue? The $9000 statue needs to be sold to at least to get your money back, and then some more to barely consider it an "investment".

Sideshow was never known for accuracy, they were always known for "artistic interpretation", whatever that means. There are few Star Wars items made by them that are reasonably accurate, no matter scale. Many Star Wars (and Terminator, Predator, Alien, Trek etc.) collectors are also more interested in accuracy than comic collectors for example. Sideshow never cared about this fact too much
    Mar 14, 2018, 12:57 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #60

I guess I missed the part where the level of someone’s “passion” as a collector or a fan is determined by how much they know (or care) about the original items their collectibles are based upon.

I would imagine it’s possible to be a passionate stamp collector without knowing all too much about the history of what’s printed on the stamps. Or to be a model train collector without being able to give specifications about real-life locomotives. Undoubtedly there will be some overlap in interest in some cases, those who are interested in both the replica and in what is being replicated, but I think it’s possible to have a singular focus, too.

Probably safest to say: “I wouldn’t buy this,” and leave it to those who might. Different strokes, etc. 3 pages in, I think the point has been made, and if not I don’t think we’re getting any closer to making it.
  11. Member Since
    Feb 2015
    From
    Manchester
    Mar 14, 2018, 7:02 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #61

Jagjaguwar said: View Post
    I guess I missed the part where the level of someone’s “passion” as a collector or a fan is determined by how much they know (or care) about the original items their collectibles are based upon.

I would imagine it’s possible to be a passionate stamp collector without knowing all too much about the history of what’s printed on the stamps. Or to be a model train collector without being able to give specifications about real-life locomotives. Undoubtedly there will be some overlap in interest in some cases, those who are interested in both the replica and in what is being replicated, but I think it’s possible to have a singular focus, too.

Probably safest to say: “I wouldn’t buy this,” and leave it to those who might. Different strokes, etc. 3 pages in, I think the point has been made, and if not I don’t think we’re getting any closer to making it.
    I think it's much more insidious than that. This is clearly a cash grab under the guise of a licenced product. The quality is sub standard and simply not fit for purpose. If this product was going for half the price we'd still be saying it was a terrible product. If it was the other way round and the quality/details were exactly right, it'd still be a grossly over priced product. There's no justification for the price besides laziness and greed.
  12. Universal Greeblie RPF Premium Member Jedifyfe's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Mar 14, 2018, 7:51 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #62

I agree with @azheat01 I spent $600 total on my Vader...(Rubies with poseable mannequin) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vader.jpeg 
Views:	358 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	802612
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4211676B-799D-4ADD-B368-AB0435487C24.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	802610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1F067F9D-2037-4147-B6EE-0626845ABFC3.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	802611  
    Mar 14, 2018, 8:32 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #63

I agree that it’s expensive, but it doesn’t seem out of line compared with other Sideshow offerings. I wouldn’t consider $500+ for a 1/4 scale statue a “bargain,” either. Considering Sideshow sold a Vader bust that cost $1200, an entire life-size figure for $9000 doesn’t seem terrible. Especially since the pricing for these isn’t linear (a 1/4 scale statue does not cost a quarter as much as a life sized one, etc.) Could it be cheaper? Probably, but when you’re the only licensed option around (and most people don’t know about all the fan-made options that exist), companies probably have a fair bit of leeway to charge whatever they think people will pay. This isn’t the first life-sized statue Sideshow has produced, so I’m sure they aren’t just making numbers up.

The simple facts are that these aren’t cheap to develop and produce, licensing is a factor, and beyond that, they do have to turn a profit in the end. They’re running a business and not a charity, after all.
    From
    Dracula's Castle
    Mar 15, 2018, 8:00 AM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #64

Comparison of the Sideshow proto Gino showed us some time ago and the finished product.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collecti...stom_Affiliate

Mar 16, 2018, 5:12 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #65

The prototype wasn't perfect, but it was light years ahead of this new hot garbage they're offering.
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Mar 16, 2018, 7:33 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #66

Such a shame when those two are compared. Oddly enough...their released Vader looks a lot like Vader from Disney's Star Tours ride...
    From
    Australia
    Mar 17, 2018, 1:00 AM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #67

Hahahahaha hahahahahahahaaha.

Ben
    From
    Germany
    Mar 17, 2018, 8:03 AM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #68

Ginos prototype had a little bit too much "chestmuscles" but was another level.I have no clue why they did not used his parts for the base of the lifesizefigure.
    Gino should let us know what happened!
    From
    Dracula's Castle
    Mar 17, 2018, 10:28 AM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #69

Gino posted on Sideshow Freaks about this.
    From
    Germany
    Mar 17, 2018, 12:33 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #70

Do you have a link?Iīve not seen this.
    From
    Dracula's Castle
    Mar 17, 2018, 1:35 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #71

Jun 18, 2018, 12:12 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #72

Finally have a camera to show off my Vader when Its on display and not trooping.

This is where my CFO helmet will be going, for now it is my DS trooping "damaged" helmet! LOL Trooping has not been kind to my fiberglass parts lol.

But the thing is why cant licensed companies get there stuff to look like this. They do not have to use the same high end materials but still can achieve a similar look with accurate details. They seem to not care.

This is what accuracy looks like.

PS. these are Iphone 5C photos, they came out crappy! I need to invest in a good camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4809[1].JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	635.6 KB 
ID:	825136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4797[1].JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	825135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4802[1].JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	769.5 KB 
ID:	825141  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4791[1].JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	825137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4804[1].JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	944.1 KB 
ID:	825138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4807[1].JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	825143  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4801[1].JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	934.0 KB 
ID:	825148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4789[1].JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	672.9 KB 
ID:	825149  
    Last edited by vader45; Jun 18, 2018 at 12:23 PM.
  23. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Stuart, FL
    Jul 16, 2018, 1:40 PM - Re: The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!! #73

Finally have a camera to show off my Vader when Its on display and not trooping.

This is where my CFO helmet will be going, for now it is my DS trooping "damaged" helmet! LOL Trooping has not been kind to my fiberglass parts lol.

But the thing is why cant licensed companies get there stuff to look like this. They do not have to use the same high end materials but still can achieve a similar look with accurate details. They seem to not care.

This is what accuracy looks like.

PS. these are Iphone 5C photos, they came out crappy! I need to invest in a good camera.
    That looks amazing. The ONLY thing I’d want from Sideshow from this abomination is the base.

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator