The 1:1 Vader you get from Sideshow for $9K!!!

I don't think it looks too awful. Much better than their attempt at Boba Fett.

Obviously the difference between your Fett and Sideshow's is like a Ferrari and a Kia, but I still think this Vader looks worse than their Fett. It's just awful in every single way.

It looks pretty nice for something that I would consider "mass produced". Price point for me is impossible, but for folks who have the $$$ and don't have the time to do a full 100% screen accurate suit...GO FOR IT! Why not?

I can tell you a lot of reasons WHY NOT!!!:lol

The overall appearance of that this is CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. Who decided to make the damn thing as tall as Chewbacca? To me that is the most baffling aspect of it IMO. Most of the parts are junk but Imo the helmet and armor look very good imo. I do like how everything is its own piece and not mounted to the form thus making it wearable aside from the helmet and boots/shins.

I do like the form, I wish a mannequin like that is available to buy for a reasonable price.

um- this is an esb vader? why is the inner cape over the armor? Did sideshow not put it together correctly in their "instructional video"?

Speaking of the inner cape which is actually known as a tunic why even include it on Vader if it's going to be worn UNDER the shoulder armor? That's really sort of a rhetorical question.

um- this is an esb vader? why is the inner cape over the armor? Did sideshow not put it together correctly in their "instructional video"?

I went back and re-watched the video- it has the ANH chest box with the 3 gray rockers and 1 white rocker, the longer rods, and no ESB/ROTJ greeblies, the gloves are the ANH style, and the helmet has the smaller chin vent. I couldn’t tell if it had the widows peak.

Only the belt boxes seem to be ROTJ/Tour suit versions instead of ANH.

Yes, that's $9K in real human dollars. [emoji38]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dy5bu4XEPU

I watched that video and at the end when it was all put together I started laughing maniacally. SS should stand trial for robbery of everyone that pays them $9k for this thing. It's an absolute joke how they showed off a 1:1 Vader you couldn't buy at Comic-Con for years, then finally advertised it for sale, then abruptly pulled it off the market because they were "re-tooling" it and now this is the final product they came up with many years later. Honestly I don't know what is more embarrassing...SS offering that for sale or someone putting it on display in their collection. For less money I put together my own that looks like it walked right off the set of The Empire Strikes Back. Yes it took work to acquire all the pieces and put everything together, but the end result was more than worth it. Here's a video for anyone who hasn't seen it or wants to do a fun comparison. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgAJDYOJHVU
I totally agree with you Brent, what a rip off. I don't know what happened to the first Life-Size Vader Statue that Sideshow offered about the same time they offered the Life-Size Boba Fett Statue. Gino sculpted the mannequin and was spot on! But this new Vader Statue is a JOKE!!!!!!! I got one of the very first Life-Size Boba Fett statues from Sideshow over 3 years ago, I totally upgraded the statue with real aluminum parts, back pack lighted beacon, even the helmet was terrible, i had to use my Master Replicas Helmet and I modified the rod that support the helmet tgat came with the statue, now it looks like tge REAL thing. I'll share some pictures later. But I totally agree with you guys, is not worth the amount of money they are asking for these statues. Here are a few pictures of my Life-Size Vader mannequin, I sculpted the mannequin myself and all the hard parts and soft parts are made in my studio.
7783d4d4b83242944e1e92c594eb1b80.jpg
c4e8ad3fec1a278d216f359b74e9922f.jpg
29a1277937b60650f7abdf1f616bf2b0.jpg
fcb0935eaa38851a94126dc0e7bbc5d7.jpg
d0cbe1b0378b47cec5b14b696d04cc6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ill have to say for 9K I would expect them to give us a Vader made from the Fan made standards. That price point is enough to produce a vader with fan made quality and still make money, pay workers and the license.

What idiot would pay 9K for pleather and cheap cape material?

Look at the Anovos...really not perfect...but if you see this "sideshow thing" in comparison..it looks like a screenused suit!
A modded Rubies suit looks better.But I bet..some rich guys will make sideshow to get richer.And the quality of their "high end"pieces is going a step lower again.
If nobody would buy this *******,they would make better props.

Its not THAT bad, I do see the appeal as it is a licensed replica!
Its miles ahead of this one Rubies is currently selling,yes this is a life size statue not a costume (however, at <$2k)

s-l1600.jpg

at the end of the day, yes i built my own life size vader, far less cheaper and more accurate! (custom mannequin & base by Portumac above!)

13668925_657615427736004_7104488523994304299_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I'm not buying into "the fans with disposable cash who don't know better and don't want to spend the time building one will buy this" argument. Sure, there will be a few, but I think many who would contemplate buying this would do just a little research and realize it's not worth it; even if money is of no concern for them. I think that's why the price is so high, to cover what could prove to be a limited production run not based on demand, but the lack there of. Here's my Rubies Supreme / Deluxe Vader.....................

IMG_2736.JPG

And although it's grossly inaccurate on every level (and almost sacrilegious to own!), it looks every bit the part of "Star Wars" as this overpriced one does. And I paid $400 for the costume new, $180 for the mannequin, and custom built the display base myself using $30 in lumber. So whether you have cash to burn or not, you're a fool to spend $9000 on this. Just my opinion.........

Funny, you guys would be wetting yourselves over this a few years ago.

Yeah, I'm not buying this statement. Almost an insult to the majority of the members here. "A few years ago", not likely......two or three decades ago, possibly.

I think it’s very safe to assume that there are a whole lot more rich dudes with some degree of interest in Star Wars and the space to put one of these things than there are hardcore prop experts and those interested in studying this stuff. Take a look at the various forums- they’re all filled with the same names over and over. For better or worse, we’re outnumbered.

Sorry, I'm not buying into "the fans with disposable cash who don't know better and don't want to spend the time building one will buy this" argument. Sure, there will be a few, but I think many who would contemplate buying this would do just a little research and realize it's not worth it; even if money is of no concern for them. I think that's why the price is so high, to cover what could prove to be a limited production run not based on demand, but the lack there of. Here's my Rubies Supreme / Deluxe Vader.....................

View attachment 801207

And although it's grossly inaccurate on every level (and almost sacrilegious to own!), it looks every bit the part of "Star Wars" as this overpriced one does. And I paid $400 for the costume new, $180 for the mannequin, and custom built the display base myself using $30 in lumber. So whether you have cash to burn or not, you're a fool to spend $9000 on this. Just my opinion.........

Yeah, I'm not buying this statement. Almost an insult to the majority of the members here. "A few years ago", not likely......two or three decades ago, possibly.
I totally agree with you! Is an insult that Sideshow produce something so inaccurate and for so much money, a total rip off. This guys have some kind of accesss to do a more screen accurate product, not only is inaccurate but CHEAP!!! Most of the LIFE-SIZE busts and very few statues that I got from Sideshow over the years I had to either re-painted them or replace parts because the parts used were cheap resin when they should have use real metal parts and the paint job was cheap. I don't want to be to hard on the sculptors that works for them after all is not their fault, but the final product that comes from China is terrible. I spoke to one of the Sideshow representatives at the last Star Wars Celebration and I talk to them about this and they were not happy at all with my feedback on these Life-Size props statues and busts. I even told them that they used my Vader Reveal Helmet without permission to make their Vader Reveal Bust, they didn't say nothing about it. Is not the first time they do this according to a friend of mine who worked for them in the past. You guys Vader statues look STUNNING compared to this piece of crap that Sideshow is trying to sell now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Since we are showing our Vader's and shaming Sideshow. Here is my entry.

This is the best photo I can find at the moment. I have him on display but no camera at the moment.
20180217_145156_Film3.jpg

20180217_145230_Film3.jpg

I have only invested $3,100 and its all real leather, fiberglass and heavy weight wool.

And sideshow has theirs at $8,900 and its all real pleather and all real cheap cape material is the all real inaccurate detailing.

Last edited:
Your Vader looks great.What parts are you using?

Thank you.

That is Stones Helmet and V1 armor.

Leather suit and gloves from Fenix Props

Cape is Kev Vader

Cod is Artisan

Belt is a Garrison belt with Dark-Sides buckle and the hammond boxes finished by Portumac,

The chest box is Dark-Side pieces that I had painted by Portumac(Box only painted by him) and then assembled it myself to ensure the accuracy I wanted.

Boots need replaced as they are almost 8 years old but are replica German officer boots. The shins are Sith Armor shins.

I love how this edit turned out.
vader.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back