LandSpeeder

donc

New build. The accuracy of the grille opening height is paramount in my scratch build...or at least dam close.
Sheetmetal form shaped and welded up..fiberglass popped off that. Going strictly by photos from ground up Some nice LS's out there already.
Anybody know the correct grille height? Sure looks about 12" tall or more?..if the flat bar grille straps are 3/4" tall with 9 straps and space in between is mininum 1/2" each.which they sure look to be...puts it at 12.5"
LS_GRILLE_CLOSE_1.jpg

Sorry brother, no input on the measurement, but had to say, WOW!
Best of luck to you.
Judging by the metal work Im seeing, this is gonna be superb.
Robert

Great looking start there sir...I don't remember off hand that exact measurement, but I know we got it off the original speeder when it was touring around years ago. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Pics! More pics! :)

Jason

Epic stuff! Can you come by the SW Battlefront model for the proportions? I know the Falcon was mirrored so not accurate but during production they reckoned to take measurements off original props so everything was authentic. Anyone got experience of using those assets as reference?

I can't see the gap being anywhere near that big. I've been modelling parts for a build of my own and I make the grille gap around 7"...that is the space between the top shell lip to the bottom shell lip. Here are a couple of pics I used for ref

my_speeder367sm.jpg 8478.jpg

Wait a minute!!! Is that steel?! Holy cow this brings this thread to a even HIGHER level now!

This is going to be crazy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments and assist. The ' stickler ' on the grill size opening..is ya..those original fabrication photos where it definitely looks smaller height wise vs the movie shot where it looks bigger. I count 9 grille bars + gaps..even if the bars were 1/2" width + gaps that would be 9.5" equally spaced...and the metal was just a form for a fiberglass shell. It'll be fiberglass mostly:)
LS_GRILLE_CLOSE_UP.jpg

Last edited:
Just an educated guess, based off the photos comparing Luke's leg and the persons hand, there's no way it could be 12""
At 12", that would make Luke about 7 feet and that persons hand would be in a Ripleys museum.
The wood looks to be 1/2".
I have an older dewalt drill of that design that I can try to use for reference to get a closer estimate of the wood.
Robert

I get 7.8" compared to Mark's height (5'9"), excluding boot heel, wind in the hair and a slight slouch.
LS_GRILLE_CLOSE_UP.jpg

and if I measure it to his graflex, I get 7.5"
2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes was looking at his leg height too..your right...but then no way the grille bars are smaller than 1/2" height ..in my opinion ....so ' where ' is the lost ' height' ?

I agree the bars look roughly 1/2" (about same as the diameter of the socked on the graflex, which matches)

But, another possibility...
Considering the prop department might have been using the metric system, .4" is almost exactly 1 cm. So if they were using 1 cm ply wood, and both the bars and gaps were 1 cm,
and you factor in the gaps on either side of the top and bottom bars (10 gaps, 9 bars) that's 19 cm which is pretty much exactly 7.5"

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back