Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations?

It looks like later that month they showed off new versions where they just used the illustrations that were initially inside the text.

It also appears that due to the Florida shooting, the focus of the media turned from the plagiarism aspect, to the need to remove the guns from the artwork. That new focus seems to have allowed the discussion to move on and allow everyone to forget the initial controversy.

https://theplaylist.net/solo-star-wars-guns-20180325/

It had nothing to do with the Parkland shooting. You’ll notice these are foreign market posters, markets which do have regulation regarding depicting firearms in advertisements.

It had nothing to do with the Parkland shooting. You’ll notice these are foreign market posters, markets which do have regulation regarding depicting firearms in advertisements.

https://movieweb.com/han-solo-movie-posters-gun-free/

To quote the article:
"... the main difference, besides taking out the block lettering, is that they erased the blasters out of each character's hands. Though they also launched a separate International series that still have those blasters in hand.

The first Solo posters with the blasters intact made their debut before the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in the United States. But the altered ones came after. Though these are international posters, the news of the Florida shooting became a worldwide incident.

It's hard to tell if Disney is trying to appease both sides of the gun debate by having both versions of the now altered poster available, which should make everyone happy and not so happy at the same time."

Sounds like it DID play a part in the decision.

AND from another article:
" According to Movie Web, the change comes after controversy about gun control in the aftermath of the Parkland, Florida school shooting."

https://movieweb.com/han-solo-movie-posters-gun-free/

To quote the article:
"... the main difference, besides taking out the block lettering, is that they erased the blasters out of each character's hands. Though they also launched a separate International series that still have those blasters in hand.

The first Solo posters with the blasters intact made their debut before the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in the United States. But the altered ones came after. Though these are international posters, the news of the Florida shooting became a worldwide incident.

It's hard to tell if Disney is trying to appease both sides of the gun debate by having both versions of the now altered poster available, which should make everyone happy and not so happy at the same time."

Sounds like it DID play a part in the decision.

AND from another article:
" According to Movie Web, the change comes after controversy about gun control in the aftermath of the Parkland, Florida school shooting."

These posters are specific to Brazil...

Guns are currently a hot topic of debate in the United States, so it’s understandable that such a change would cause some to speculate the poster changes are connected to the controversy, but the two topics are entirely disconnected, which we know for a couple of reasons. First of all, the posters arent for the United States. They’re posters for Brazil. Brazil has had its own recent national debate over firearms, but that’s not even the reason their posters look different. Screen Rant has spoken with Disney about the posters in question and they’ve verified that the posters are specific to Brazil, and they are likely that way because Brazil is trying to push a more family-friendly image for Solo (or “Han Solo” as it’s marketed there) in that region. The posters aren’t distributed in the US, and the change has nothing to do with the gun issues in the US.”

Last edited by a moderator:
These posters are specific to Brazil...

Guns are currently a hot topic of debate in the United States, so it’s understandable that such a change would cause some to speculate the poster changes are connected to the controversy, but the two topics are entirely disconnected, which we know for a couple of reasons. First of all, the posters arent for the United States. They’re posters for Brazil. Brazil has had its own recent national debate over firearms, but that’s not even the reason their posters look different. Screen Rant has spoken with Disney about the posters in question and they’ve verified that the posters are specific to Brazil, and they are likely that way because Brazil is trying to push a more family-friendly image for Solo (or “Han Solo” as it’s marketed there) in that region. The posters aren’t distributed in the US, and the change has nothing to do with the gun issues in the US.”
I know they are for Brazil, but to say that the Parkland Shooting had nothing to do with the decision to alter the image is naive.

But I won't argue with you. One thing I know after viewing your post style in numerous threads... you will never be wrong and you will never admit you might be. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know they are for Brazil, but to say that the Parkland Shooting had nothing to do with the decision to alter the image is naive.

But I won't argue with you. One thing I know after viewing your post style in numerous threads... you will never be wrong and you will never admit you might be. ;)

LOL! I deserved that. :) I guess my thinking on this is if Parkland was an influence, why is it only specific to Brazil and not a broader global market, that’s all.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back