Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    From
    Metro Detroit
    Mar 5, 2018, 12:39 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #26

His removing or making private his claims could mean many things. His contract with Sony probably means Sony could do whatever they want with the artwork and might means he's not entitled to any compensation.

His use of the word "forgery" might be a translation thing... but, it is an awfully strong accusation. There's little doubt in my mind that his work was used - but forgery probably isn't the right term to use.

I'm glad to see LFL/Disney is looking into it and I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to properly correct the situation.
    From
    Annapolis MD
    Mar 5, 2018, 2:02 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #27

JD said: View Post
    I'm glad to see LFL/Disney is looking into it and I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to properly correct the situation.
    That's Not How Disney Works.jpg That's NOT how Disney Works!

Mar 5, 2018, 3:39 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #28

SethS said: View Post
    Before I worked in film, I worked as a designer. I was the last generation of designers who went to a four year college, learned art history, and were taught to actually use some problem solving and creative combo to cook up designs.

These days, designers are pumped out by certification academies that assume if they can teach you photoshop, you're a designer. I certainly would look to other designs for inspiration and ideas-- and even totally ripped stuff off if I really loved it-- but generally I followed the rule of 2. If you copy the font and the color scheme, have your own layout and elements. If you copy the layout and color, don't use the same fonts. Generally, working with your own assets you'd end up doing something original, or let it lead you to something new.

That's not how the younger generation of designers see it. Not ALL of them mind you-- but the ones who coast certainly do. My GF is an illustrator who is ripped off constantly to the point of having an IP lawyer on retainer. I really don't want to be a "kids today" person, but the generation raised on the internet think that if something is online, it's fair use to copy/resell/bootleg/whatever.

And just to play devil's advocate-- I know people who have worked at BLT. Like most ad agencies that work in media, they work people to the bone. This could have been the result of an entire team of junior designers pitching ideas for days, and at 3AM the day before they had to pitch to the art director, when they were exhausted, burnt out, fearing for their job, and still one comp short to pitch-- maybe they looked at a CD on their desk and said-- I'll just copy that to fill things out.

And oops-- it got picked.

Odds are though, it was a lazy art director who gave the CDs to a JR designer and said "make it like this, no one will know or care." SURELY THERE'S NO OVERLAP BETWEEN STAR WARS AND VINTAGE AFRICAN AMERICAN MUSIC!
    This reminds me of that one episode of Mad Men where Don gets drunk and pitches Danny Strong's slogan that Don had shot down hours earlier as weak, and the clients love it.
    From
    Los Angeles
    Mar 5, 2018, 11:28 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #29

Moviefreak said: View Post

"Bahous made the claim over the weekend via a Facebook post that was set to public, but was changed to private on Monday morning. The Hollywood Reporter got a screenshot before the page was changed, which shows Solo artwork next to Bahous' album covers."

I find it odd that he set his Facebook statement to private after a few days open to the public. I wonder if he retained legal counsel and they advised him to avoid any further discussion in public for now?
    As @mkstewartesq mentioned, and my gf has had to do this in settlements of IP cases, a settlement would likely require him to cease talking about it publicly.
    From
    Terra Australis
    Mar 7, 2018, 3:06 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #30

If only they invested enough in their own product and employed a legitimate artist to make something special that evokes some sense of wonder and expectation like the real Lucasfilm used to do instead of out sourcing some Photoshop technician they wouldnt be in this embarrassing situation. What a joke.
  6. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Mar 8, 2018, 10:07 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #31

Mr Webber said: View Post
    If only they invested enough in their own product and employed a legitimate artist to make something special that evokes some sense of wonder and expectation like the real Lucasfilm used to do instead of out sourcing some Photoshop technician they wouldnt be in this embarrassing situation. What a joke.
    Exactly! If they can’t get Drew to do it, or if Drew is not interested anymore.... why not hit up one of the other incredible poster artists out there? @KramStaar I am looking at you!
    From
    Terra Australis
    Mar 9, 2018, 3:36 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #32

Exactly! If they can’t get Drew to do it, or if Drew is not interested anymore.... why not hit up one of the other incredible poster artists out there? @KramStaar I am looking at you!
    @KramStaar would be an outstanding choice. I`m sure Disney spent more on food and drink at their AGM then they would ever dream of for an enduring and impactfull movie poster.
    Last edited by Mr Webber; Mar 9, 2018 at 3:45 AM.
  8. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Mar 10, 2018, 8:19 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #33

Mr Webber said: View Post
    @KramStaar would be an outstanding choice. I`m sure Disney spent more on food and drink at their AGM then they would ever dream of for an enduring and impactfull movie poster.
    Kram Staar (Mark Raats) posted a suspicious photo on Facebook last night. Hmmmmm....
    It was a photo of his hand sketching on a piece of paper, which was going off the right side of the photo. You could just barely see what he was sketching.
    All you could make out is that it was the Solo film logo. And he commented that he is going on a trip for a while, and then he replied to another comment, that he couldn’t speak about what the sketch means or he would have to kill them.

Fingers crossed that maybe this whole plagairism debacle will have smacked some sense into them and they called Mark in for a meeting about doing a new poster.
    From
    I live on earth.
    Mar 10, 2018, 2:28 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #34

Heres a COMPLETELY original poster design I made for the game Final Fantasy 8. Yep.
    starwarsFF.jpg
    From
    Terra Australis
    Mar 10, 2018, 3:22 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #35

Kram Staar (Mark Raats) posted a suspicious photo on Facebook last night. Hmmmmm....
    It was a photo of his hand sketching on a piece of paper, which was going off the right side of the photo. You could just barely see what he was sketching.
    All you could make out is that it was the Solo film logo. And he commented that he is going on a trip for a while, and then he replied to another comment, that he couldn’t speak about what the sketch means or he would have to kill them.

Fingers crossed that maybe this whole plagairism debacle will have smacked some sense into them and they called Mark in for a meeting about doing a new poster.
    Wow. I would be so happy for him if he was given the opportunity. I dont envy the time frame that terrible leadership decisions have left him with though. Congratulations @Moviefreak on your vision, here`s hoping you are given the same opportunity when reality hits and LFL replaces their President.
    Last edited by Mr Webber; Mar 10, 2018 at 3:52 PM.
    From
    Australia
    Mar 11, 2018, 9:43 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #36

Especially kind gents, thank you very much...

I've worked for Lucasfilm over a period of 26 years and I can honestly say that not only has it been a blast I can also say that George has been very good to me personally. These days as you can imagine its a very different kettle of fish and nothing like when I did the posters for Indy or Star Wars so its a bit more work and lot more people I need to work through to get anything done.
    @Moviefreak, thanks mate. Yeah, I can't say much at this stage and if things work out there might be something new in the wings..

Thanks again fella's

Kind regards,
    MARK
  12. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Apr 2, 2018, 10:57 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #37

Well this blew up over a weekend, then it just disappeared and not one word about it anywhere in news or online. Wonder if Disney just made it go away.
  13. Member Since
    Oct 2014
    From
    WA state
    Apr 3, 2018, 12:16 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #38

Because no one really cares except the guy who got plagiarized and probably Disney. Although they have so much money even a full on lawsuit would just be pocket-lint to them.

I would have totally forgot if not for this 3 week bump....
    From
    Terra Australis
    Apr 3, 2018, 12:19 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #39

Hopefully the artist who got ripped off will be posting pics on Facebook soon in his brand new Disney paid for Lamborghini,
  15. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Apr 3, 2018, 8:14 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #40

It looks like later that month they showed off new versions where they just used the illustrations that were initially inside the text.

It also appears that due to the Florida shooting, the focus of the media turned from the plagiarism aspect, to the need to remove the guns from the artwork. That new focus seems to have allowed the discussion to move on and allow everyone to forget the initial controversy.

https://theplaylist.net/solo-star-wars-guns-20180325/
  16. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Apr 3, 2018, 10:00 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #41

It looks like later that month they showed off new versions where they just used the illustrations that were initially inside the text.

It also appears that due to the Florida shooting, the focus of the media turned from the plagiarism aspect, to the need to remove the guns from the artwork. That new focus seems to have allowed the discussion to move on and allow everyone to forget the initial controversy.

https://theplaylist.net/solo-star-wars-guns-20180325/
    It had nothing to do with the Parkland shooting. You’ll notice these are foreign market posters, markets which do have regulation regarding depicting firearms in advertisements.
  17. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Apr 3, 2018, 10:15 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #42

Bryancd said: View Post
    It had nothing to do with the Parkland shooting. You’ll notice these are foreign market posters, markets which do have regulation regarding depicting firearms in advertisements.
    https://movieweb.com/han-solo-movie-posters-gun-free/

To quote the article:
    "... the main difference, besides taking out the block lettering, is that they erased the blasters out of each character's hands. Though they also launched a separate International series that still have those blasters in hand.

The first Solo posters with the blasters intact made their debut before the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in the United States. But the altered ones came after. Though these are international posters, the news of the Florida shooting became a worldwide incident.

It's hard to tell if Disney is trying to appease both sides of the gun debate by having both versions of the now altered poster available, which should make everyone happy and not so happy at the same time."

Sounds like it DID play a part in the decision.

AND from another article:
    " According to Movie Web, the change comes after controversy about gun control in the aftermath of the Parkland, Florida school shooting."
  18. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Apr 3, 2018, 10:25 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #43

https://movieweb.com/han-solo-movie-posters-gun-free/

To quote the article:
    "... the main difference, besides taking out the block lettering, is that they erased the blasters out of each character's hands. Though they also launched a separate International series that still have those blasters in hand.

The first Solo posters with the blasters intact made their debut before the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in the United States. But the altered ones came after. Though these are international posters, the news of the Florida shooting became a worldwide incident.

It's hard to tell if Disney is trying to appease both sides of the gun debate by having both versions of the now altered poster available, which should make everyone happy and not so happy at the same time."

Sounds like it DID play a part in the decision.

AND from another article:
    " According to Movie Web, the change comes after controversy about gun control in the aftermath of the Parkland, Florida school shooting."
    These posters are specific to Brazil...

Guns are currently a hot topic of debate in the United States, so it’s understandable that such a change would cause some to speculate the poster changes are connected to the controversy, but the two topics are entirely disconnected, which we know for a couple of reasons. First of all, the posters arent for the United States. They’re posters for Brazil. Brazil has had its own recent national debate over firearms, but that’s not even the reason their posters look different. Screen Rant has spoken with Disney about the posters in question and they’ve verified that the posters are specific to Brazil, and they are likely that way because Brazil is trying to push a more family-friendly image for Solo (or “Han Solo” as it’s marketed there) in that region. The posters aren’t distributed in the US, and the change has nothing to do with the gun issues in the US.”
  19. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Apr 3, 2018, 10:31 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #44

Bryancd said: View Post
    These posters are specific to Brazil...

Guns are currently a hot topic of debate in the United States, so it’s understandable that such a change would cause some to speculate the poster changes are connected to the controversy, but the two topics are entirely disconnected, which we know for a couple of reasons. First of all, the posters arent for the United States. They’re posters for Brazil. Brazil has had its own recent national debate over firearms, but that’s not even the reason their posters look different. Screen Rant has spoken with Disney about the posters in question and they’ve verified that the posters are specific to Brazil, and they are likely that way because Brazil is trying to push a more family-friendly image for Solo (or “Han Solo” as it’s marketed there) in that region. The posters aren’t distributed in the US, and the change has nothing to do with the gun issues in the US.”
    I know they are for Brazil, but to say that the Parkland Shooting had nothing to do with the decision to alter the image is naive.

But I won't argue with you. One thing I know after viewing your post style in numerous threads... you will never be wrong and you will never admit you might be.
  20. Bryancd is offline Bryancd
    Apr 3, 2018, 10:34 AM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #45

I know they are for Brazil, but to say that the Parkland Shooting had nothing to do with the decision to alter the image is naive.

But I won't argue with you. One thing I know after viewing your post style in numerous threads... you will never be wrong and you will never admit you might be.
    LOL! I deserved that. I guess my thinking on this is if Parkland was an influence, why is it only specific to Brazil and not a broader global market, that’s all.
    Apr 3, 2018, 5:07 PM - Re: Thoughts on The Solo movie poster plagiarism accusations? #46

The original offending posters were on display at my theatre last friday, guns and all...