LOST Virgin Mary Statue

I just got an e-mail from the maker, its is plaster and not ceramic and is 12 inches high. They will need a custom paint job and some weatrhering, but other than that I think its a perfect match.

not sure yet, thinking between 50-75, know way of knowing yet till I finish my first deall. I thougt about finishing one and putting it on Ebay and see what it sells for then do a 25% price drop and offer them as a run, but I would like to wait till I finish one before I start talking price.

I talked abou thtis with some folks on another forum. We had found that this particular statue is called "The Immaculate Heart" and it is a 12 inch statue mad of Italian Plaster.

I would say the best way to keep costs down is to find someone to buy one, mold it, and make less expensive plaster versions. Otherwise you are stuck shelling out $39.50 for just one at catholicfreeshipping.com.

They are going to need a repaint anyway, so might as well jsut make a mold of one, and make thinner regular plaster versions. During the molding process you can make the base anyway you want so that it is removable. There is supposedly some way to make them out of a sort of chalk for even less materials cost.

I'd leave the "stash" up to the buyer like you said. Safer that way.

EDIT: forgot to mention that some people were speculating that the statues in LOST were only 8" or 10" tall. I disagree completely. Anyway you can get the 8" version like the pic below for $17.95 at Chapel Gifts.

Now the one sold by chpel gifts appears to look a little more like the one on the show, but 8" is IMHO just too darn short.

324_lg.jpg

Why is there so much consern about repainting these.

I seriously doubt they repainted them for the show, and since they are plaster/chalk it should be very easy to weather them, just rub them down with dirt.

Personally I think it would be cool if someone just ordered a case and sold them at cost so each person could weather them as they saw fit.

I think they were repainted for the show. makes more sense for them to buy one or two, have their prop shop mold aand make more. Would be $1000's cheaper that way. Good chance some of the ones lying about on the ground are rubbger versions and only the ones shown broken were plaster.

I've seen the 8" or one similar in a couple of Mexican grocery stores.
Immaculate heart statue is very familiar to any good Catholic boy. I'm not one but grew up in a neighborhood full of 'em.

I'm with Boba Debt. I doubt seriously that they had the prop dept recast these. At estimated $30 a unit it would be easier and much less labor intensive just to order them in and scuff them up. I think the screen shots above make it pretty apparent that these are 12 inchers and the scuffing is anything but exact on each piece.

Both versions of this particular mold sold online are painted with extra shading and gold leafing. As shown on the show the same mold is painted in more solid tones and has NO gold leafing.

I'd say the chances are pretty good that it was in fact molded for the show and both stunt and hero castings were made.

-Gary

I wouldn't be suprised if there are more then one version using the same statue mold.

It's possible that the manufacturer offers one without gold leafing.

Could have been cheaper and makes sense for the show to buy the cheapest one. You gotta find the manufacturer, not a supplier.

I don't think a second generation casting of a plaster statue would retain much detail, such as the eyebrows and nose and there would be shrinkage

Originally posted by gavidoc@Feb 2 2006, 05:07 AM
You gotta find the manufacturer, not a supplier.
[snapback]1174022[/snapback]​

I'm hot on the trail :)

I'd say it's a 12" casting. Details are very weak, particularly around the heart. The paint is very monotone and lacking any shading, highlights or details.

We could probably just get one and do slush casts in either resin or plaster. It'll be cheap and hollow. Sell them unpainted and let people finish them themselves.

-Fred

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back