DeAgostini Millennium Falcon Electronics Issue

DiCatania

All my electronics on my falcon stopped working. I don’t run them that often maybe once every two months just to make sure they are working. I tried batteries, the official plug, I even switched out the component board along with the wiring and nothing works. Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone have any advice? Lost in space without any lights [emoji47]
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the red light on the circuit board illuminated when battery power pack / transformer power pack is installed and main switch turned on.

If no, check the voltage at the connector which runs from the switch to the board. If no voltage at the connector then problem lies with the lead or most probably switch. By pass switch and plug battery pack directly to the cct board.

If switch and lead are okay and red light is on then check voltage outputs at light outputs when the correct button is pushed on the cct board.

It's all about finding where the voltage is being lost.

Ive read they are prone to failure. I lost half my lights during the build and just set up a second system......with more lights!

That is hardly confidence inspiring. If anyone has a dead board just laying around, I would be happy to do some troubleshooting on it - before I get around to burying my (presumably working) board inside a model only to have it fail sometime down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is the red light on the circuit board illuminated when battery power pack / transformer power pack is installed and main switch turned on.

If no, check the voltage at the connector which runs from the switch to the board. If no voltage at the connector then problem lies with the lead or most probably switch. By pass switch and plug battery pack directly to the cct board.

If switch and lead are okay and red light is on then check voltage outputs at light outputs when the correct button is pushed on the cct board.

Thanks S4Simon. I will take another look at it tonight when I get home from work. Luckily I ordered two extra boards when I was putting the model together. I will report back what I found. Thanks again

I believe my problem lies with my power supply plug. I am getting the red light with the batteries but not with the power supply plugs. I have three circuit boards two are brand new and the power supply plugs are not working on any of them. I also have three switches, two of which are also brand new that I switched out with no luck.

The power pack tip should be a 2.5mm tip. The standard deag power pack is 2.5mm. Anything else will cause connection problems. Next thing to check is the wiring going to the Falcon outlet connector, ensure no loose broken wires. Again if you connect a multimeter to the end of the power lead going from the switch to the board, board end, check you’re getting voltage 9v. If no voltage then work backwards towards the power source trying to find where the voltage is dropping out.

Thanks S4Simon. I will take another look at it tonight when I get home from work. Luckily I ordered two extra boards when I was putting the model together. I will report back what I found. Thanks again

How do you order extra boards? Through DeAog?
Thanks,
Mike

Is there a known weak area with these boards?

Is there a known weak area with these boards?

Yes, the design is poor. Only 3 transistor with 500mA current controls all the leds, but one of them is responsible for the most of the leds.
On is used for the ramp leds, one is used for the landing lights and cockpit and the last one controls the engine strips, mandibles and tower leds.
When additional leds added, then it can cause the dead of the transistors.
Also, the board works fine with batteries 6V, but with the power supply with 9V a higher current is running through the leds and transitors with risk of breakdown.

The power pack tip should be a 2.5mm tip. The standard deag power pack is 2.5mm. Anything else will cause connection problems. Next thing to check is the wiring going to the Falcon outlet connector, ensure no loose broken wires. Again if you connect a multimeter to the end of the power lead going from the switch to the board, board end, check you’re getting voltage 9v. If no voltage then work backwards towards the power source trying to find where the voltage is dropping out.

I will work on that today. Thanks for the tips

The internal 2.5mm power supply sockets are junk, I had one crap out on me during my build. It looked fine with no loose terminals but power was just not getting through. I swapped it out with a spare I had from an extra control board.
Also
Don't forget to check the batteries in your remote control.

The internal 2.5mm power supply sockets are junk, I had one crap out on me during my build. It looked fine with no loose terminals but power was just not getting through. I swapped it out with a spare I had from an extra control board.
Also
Don't forget to check the batteries in your remote control.

Batteries in the remote are controlling everything okay when the power supply for the Falcon are batteries. I just can’t get it to run with a power supply cord. I switched out the plugs to the circuit board and still nothing. I am going to call DeAg on Monday, maybe its the power supply plug they sent me.

Yes, the design is poor. Only 3 transistor with 500mA current controls all the leds, but one of them is responsible for the most of the leds.
On is used for the ramp leds, one is used for the landing lights and cockpit and the last one controls the engine strips, mandibles and tower leds.
When additional leds added, then it can cause the dead of the transistors.
Also, the board works fine with batteries 6V, but with the power supply with 9V a higher current is running through the leds and transitors with risk of breakdown.

What packs do these boards come in? Maybe I’ll take a look when I get it and see what sort of component upgrades or retrofits might make sense to do to increase reliability.

What packs do these boards come in? Maybe I’ll take a look when I get it and see what sort of component upgrades or retrofits might make sense to do to increase reliability.

issue 57

IMG_5743.JPG

Ah, should be in my next monthly shipment whenever that comes in. I’ll post back whenever I get a chance to evaluate.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back