Thor: The Dark World Cosplay Build WIP

Valkyrie777

Hi guys.

Long-time lurker here. Basically, wasn’t a Marvel or Thor fan before I saw Thor: Ragnarok. Now I’m very much both. Had to go rewatch the first two Thor movies, obviously, whilst binging the rest of the MCU, and I decided Thor’s armor in The Dark World was my favorite look of his. Being a compulsive cosplayer, I HAD to do a Thor build.

I’d seen a lot of people making his armor out of foam and other synthetics, but I tend to work with leather, and since that’s what his TDW costume is made of... I opted for that. Made myself a bit crazy, trying to mold/tool/emboss all the details, and spent a month alone on working the pattern out. (Figuring out how to get into the armor without making an obvious opening in the side was also a challenge.) Still have to get the 6 armor discs/rondels, but I’ll likely have those digitized/3D printed, for durability purposes.

But since I’m finally finished with his chest armor, I thought now was a great time to document my build on here. It’s not perfect, but I’m having a great time so far. I’ll be making a Loki TDW cosplay to go with it, for one of my friends, but I’ve got to finish the rest of this cosplay first. Note: I’m female, so this will technically be a cross-play. :)

12195B70-192E-4377-98DB-B6129406B836.jpeg84794842-C790-494D-9872-EA878A752612.jpegE68017FA-A95A-4D56-91FD-67C023DA1E6B.jpeg7D225B47-60E9-471F-81D2-4B7D5EF48037.jpeg

Hey V, That is an impressive build! This is my favorite of all the Thor MCU armors. I've built this same piece from EVA and 3D prints, but it's nowhere close to what you've accomplished. I have the discs and chest piece already designed. They are my favorite pieced of the build. If you're interested, pm me. :)21430094_10155656061463320_2878877901537550902_n.jpg

Thanks so much, Therob.

Your armor looks awesome! The full ensemble turned out great. Especially love the discs! Hoping mine will turn out reasonably accurate (they have a fairly complex design that lends itself better to 3D printing, I think).

I’m hoping to have my full cosplay finished for Infinity War, but we’ll see. I’ll be posting progress updates on here. :)

Some progress/pattern photos for the armor I've made so far. (Sorry about the ads on the hosting site; super annoying.)

Full album: http://s153.photobucket.com/user/Encaitare/library/

I'm hoping these might help someone undertaking a similar build, since the hardest part of the project for me was figuring out how all the various layers went together. The front is basically an Asgardian pretzel. :)

I'll post a few photos here, in case you want an idea of the sort of stuff I have in the full album.

IMG_2011.jpgIMG_2096.JPGIMG_2097.JPGIMG_2131.jpgIMG_2192.JPGIMG_2372.JPGIMG_2831.JPGIMG_2832.JPG

804CF05F-36EF-4284-8F76-CC739278BD93.jpeg49379BEC-0A0D-4EDF-837C-1D0559353E27.jpegE1EB3B0E-002F-493C-B0E6-41B2BA2089D4.jpeg6DFD169E-23B6-481C-B193-98E94F95F773.jpeg125DC24D-24D2-49D8-A7A4-067D1D3445D2.jpeg
I’m baaaack! Took me long enough. :)

Updates:
-Thor pants / kilt done
-Cloak done, except for distressing
-Armor rondels in progress (huge shout out to Therob75, who was so incredibly kind to 3D print my files, and an awesome 3D modeler on fiverr.com.)
-Bracers in progress

Debuting this cosplay at Denver Comic-Con, so hopefully it’ll be finished in time. Some progress pics to follow.

30CDCC73-8E0F-46E5-A2F4-7692F4712930.jpeg8776AB92-BEDC-4C81-9CA9-01FD0878E742.jpegCA033EA2-A291-44CA-8372-F211CCC157BE.jpeg11286739-C12E-447E-AC41-23FFD84DA2F5.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks absolutely amazing man! Especially that detail on the back. I'm going to be wearing my AoU Thor armor for half the day Friday and half the day Saturday (except I'll be carrying Stormbreaker instead of Mjolnir) If I see you I'd love to get a picture with you.

@6 finger wizard: Thanks so much. Yeah, the detail on the back drove me crazy. Especially because I knew it was going to be covered by the cape and yet I couldn’t bring myself to cut corners. :) Hopefully we’ll run into each other. I’ll be bringing a Loki with me, and we’re going to try to stay in character the whole time. :D

@Budaschlock: And thank-you! I’m really happy with how it’s turning out.

Last edited by a moderator:
What great work!!! I'm working on the Infinity War version now, and the cape is giving me hell. You did so great on the pleats and draping in the back! O_O

And I don't think there's anything I can add to the armor work you've done. Really top notch!

Could you share more about your cape please? I'm making this for a friend and have made capes before but I'm not entirely sure how to begin.

Sure! Basically, the cape is in three pieces total. The leftmost and rightmost pieces have pleats running vertically. The middle piece has pleats running horizontally, looking almost like pockets which are pulled down (as in the image) to creating the appearance of horizontally draping folds. These three pieces are sewn together with two seams that are hidden by the vertical draping. The shoulder pleats are hand tacked to keep them in place. Shoulders are structured with Pelion sew-in interfacing cut to sit between the two separate layers of the cape fabric and lining.

This cape is in wool, and lined with linen.

I drafted the pattern free-hand on paper, then gauged the size based on the armor I’d already made. Adjustments and refining followed, until I was pleased with the way the pattern looked on paper. Then I split the pattern along the pre-drawn lines of where the pleats would be and added in a uniform amount that would be taken up in the pleats when they were constructed in fabric. Once I’d cut out my fabric, I carefully transferred the markings from the pattern detailing where the cape’s pleats would be (and in which direction they would be folded), pressed the pleats, and then slip-stitched them into place down to where the excess fabric is allowed to flare (the amount of fabric caught in the pleats on the shoulders gradually becomes wider the further down the cape you go).

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything. :)

- - - Updated - - -

What great work!!! I'm working on the Infinity War version now, and the cape is giving me hell. You did so great on the pleats and draping in the back! O_O

And I don't think there's anything I can add to the armor work you've done. Really top notch!

Thanks so much! :) Good luck on your Infinity War cosplay. I love the cape he wears for that one.

- - - Updated - - -

The detail on this is amazing!!!

Thanks! I drove myself a bit crazy with trying to capture as much detail as I could, lol.

Thanks! I drove myself a bit crazy with trying to capture as much detail as I could, lol.

yeah I get what you mean! I’m a perfectionist being a graphic designer and comic book illustrator! Every time I make a costume I want it perfect and when it is not I start over lol probably why I’m about to start on my fourth Thor costume...

but it every time I learn more and get better! Keep on this one mate can’t wait to see it finished!

DCC was a blast! Just barely finished the costume in time, but I think it turned out well. Still fiddling with a few things now I have time to do so, but overall, looks good. Note to self: next time practice the beard BEFORE leaving for the con. Had an awesome Loki (who may or may not have stolen Thor’s armor at one point), so a fun time was had by all. :D

DE062D8B-3E30-4C85-95BE-315C14D4EA55.jpeg05EEBD6E-B180-472C-BE71-1F8B79B6D38E.jpeg229BC5FC-E34E-4561-8557-2453CA6EE946.jpegFD65D902-0DA1-4E0F-AF2B-79B0570A08C1.jpeg

yeah I get what you mean! I’m a perfectionist being a graphic designer and comic book illustrator! Every time I make a costume I want it perfect and when it is not I start over lol probably why I’m about to start on my fourth Thor costume...

but it every time I learn more and get better! Keep on this one mate can’t wait to see it finished!

You’ll get there; though I completely understand the tendency to keep starting over, lol. I used to do the same thing. :) But as you say, everything’s a learning experience.

This costume is awesome! When I opened this thread I expected it to be the average looking Thor costume, wrong, to looks so awesome, even made of leather! You should be proud of yourself.

A few better quality shots of the cosplay from a recent photoshoot. :) Some of them are silly. (Also- I apologize for the lack of impressive biceps.)

IMG_1242.JPGIMG_4013.JPGIMG_4019.JPGIMG_8632.JPGIMG_9011.JPG

Attachments

• ThorTDW.jpg
    ThorTDW.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back