Round2 Producing a 1/350 Star Trek TMP K'Tinga

There have been -- and I'm sure there will continue to be -- discussions over what size the K'T'Inga would be if it were a "real" vessel. Let's just put all that to bed once and for all. I agree with edge10 -- just tell yourself this kit is 1/2 Studio Scale and let that be the end of it! This model is indeed 50% of the size of the miniature built for the film -- no if's, and's, or but's about it. :)

If you want to have a debate about the scale of the model kit, please don't bring either myself or Round2/Polar Lights into it. I modeled the studio miniature. To be honest, I don't give a hoot WHAT scale that model might've been. I'm only interested in the filming model.

Jamie at Polar Lights looked at contemporaneous info from 1979 during production of the film where the filmmakers themselves had notes and drawings that indicated the "real" ship was roughly 700 feet long. He also referenced a scale drawing by Matt Jefferies (who designed this ship) from The Making of Star Trek that shows something similar.

So, if anyone reading this doesn't like that number, your argument is with the people who worked on the show and not with Jamie, Round2/Polar lights, or with me.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" LOL ;) ;) ;) :D

Last edited:
Can I just put this out there: I'm not arguing. With anyone. Just stating an opinion cuz it's a modeling board. Just having fun. No issue with R2 or Jamie at all. Love the kit. Can't wait. Jaime acknowledged the scale would have skeptics and that was okay with him. I take him at his word. Love you. Love everyone. Kumbaya.
:cheers:cheers:cheers

It's all good. :) This has come up several times already. Once the model kit goes on sale in a few weeks, I'm sure it will come up again and again. So, I'm just getting myself ready. . . ;) ;) :D

The kit looks awesome. Seriously, no complaints.

I'll say this: Having worked on my share of feature films and TV shows in various departments, I know that production people CAN and DO get things wrong. All the time. And that is in no way a knock on their competence or professionalism. It's a job. They do their best in the time and budget allowed. They often have to cheat so that things look "right" even if they're wrong. There are only a bzillion examples of this just in the trek franchise alone (where IS that engine room located???) So if they threw out a size number in 1979, cool. I respect that. But I'm just looking at the windows which are also a visual indication of scale. Two rows of windows. Two decks. How big is a deck? That's where my opinion forms. If everyone else is content with 1/350, I'm cool with that too.

Half studio scale works just fiiiiiiiiiiine for me. :D

Good god why dont I have this kit in my hands already. Waving cash around sitting here with vintage floquils waiting!!!!

According to Jamie, they are on the water and should be in stores around the first week in November.

acb.jpg

There is an excellent 1/350 resin kit available for the TOS D7. The K'T'Inga is totally different and you would be wasting your effort trying to turn it into a D7 IMO. . .

There is an excellent 1/350 resin kit available for the TOS D7. The K'T'Inga is totally different and you would be wasting your effort trying to turn it into a D7 IMO. . .
Thank you very much, I didn't know the differences were so prohibitive for trip to the barber's. It saves me the cost of one kit.
I may stillget the K'T'Inga kit as a second option but I really wanted a D7. I've never been such a fan of K'T'Inga's "skin rash and pimples" I really love the D7's clean looks and its colour as seen in the series.

It appears there are no decals for the windows at the top, aft of the command bulb (officer's lounge?). What was the thinking on that?

It appears there are no decals for the windows at the top, aft of the command bulb (officer's lounge?). What was the thinking on that?

I didn't create the decals. I guess they missed it. I'll bring this to their attention though. I could easily supply templates for something like that. . .

I didn't create the decals. I guess they missed it. I'll bring this to their attention though. I could easily supply templates for something like that. . .

Thanks Charles. A template would be great. I could try to create them myself, in Photoshop, but would have to try to do a rubbing of the kit or something crazy like that.

I received a test shot, but that's all so far. TBH, I was blown away by the sharpness and quality of the detail and molding. After being disappointed by so many other Trek kits, I'd kept my expectations rather low. But, I feel this could be the finest Star Trek model kit ever produced! Regarding accuracy of shapes and proportions, as well as attention to detail, it's likely one of the most authentic attempts ever by a plastic model kit company to faithfully reproduce a filming miniature.

Some of the details that go on the front "bulkhead" of the main body have been necessarily simplified. They tried to make up for this by producing some of these same details using folded photo-etched brass. While I haven't yet gotten the photo-etch add-ons, I can see from photos that they were made a bit too thick. They did this to make it easier to fold the etched brass to make 3D parts for the main body. But, doing this compromised the parts they made for the front of the ship as those needed to be much thinner. As a result, adding the etched window strips to the "bulb" and "Cobra head" creates a raised "stripe" around the windows that's supposed to be painted on. It's a compromise.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back