Round2 Producing a 1/350 Star Trek TMP K'Tinga

I always loved the dirty greens and reds of the Bird of Prey and I was very intrigued by the shades of gray, black and red of Kronos One. I'm thinking a sort of mash up of those color schemes highlighted with some rust reds and yellows and maybe hints of that oxidized copper look...The beauty of a model this size is being able to really get in there and hit those little details. Painting this thing is going to be a dream.

I'm one who prefers the way this particular ship looked on screen. I don't mind having a slight "tint" of green, brown, tan, etc. over the base color. But, the way this model appeared on stage seemed rather garish to me. So, I won't be painting my studio-scale replica -- or this 1/350 kit -- in those colors.

I just gotta say it...

One of these things, is not like the other. One of these things, doesn't belong...

35051076_1442703639169347_2741846034446548992_o.jpg
Fig-9.jpg

I'm more confused than ever. Every picture, even at the same angle, has a dramatic difference from other photos. Since all cameras have a different colour gamut, which changes with a flash, (not to mention the gamut of the monitor) the only way that this can be studio accurate is if one compared colour swatches against the actual studio model.
To me, it just doesn't look like it appeared on screen.

TazMan2000

Yes, ignoring the apparent misreading of a coloured light in whatever image they are basing their colour scheme on I'm also a little disappointed in the lack of detail present on the kit compared to the original. It aint Bandai that's for sure :(

Boy, this one is going to be a challenge to paint, but I love their detective work. This build is going to be similar to the Bandai PG Falcon. People will be uncovering evidence and making forensic analysis for months. CAN'T WAIT!

Even with the colors as they currently look, I can see an overspray of gray/steel toning it all down, pulling it together, and making it look much closer to the on-screen appearance.

To me, it just doesn't look like it appeared on screen.

It's not intended to (color wise). What you saw on screen was vastly different from how the model appeared on stage. PL is trying to recreate the on-stage look and they realize that more work is needed to do that.

On screen, the model's true colors faded away until it looked mostly gray with some faint "hints" of color here and there. My preference, at least for my own replica(s), is would be to mimic what we saw on screen. Each builder can do what they want in this regard.

...I'm also a little disappointed in the lack of detail present on the kit compared to the original. It aint Bandai that's for sure :(

LACK OF DETAIL? Are you freakin' kidding me? This could be one of *the* most authentic sci-fi model kits ever attempted (at least for Star Trek) in terms of trying to match, as closely as possible, the details on the original. Really, the only compromises here were those required to A) make it via injection molding and B) make it 1/2 the size of the original subject. They could've cut all kinds of corners in terms of detailing and parts count, but they didn't. You should see the parts count in this thing.

We have already seen the simplified version of this ship- most of us have already built one some years ago.
No model is going to be perfect, but this one is as perfect a representation as possible with mass production.
I am sure there will be aftermarket detail sets, Shapeways parts and photoetch for those who wish to take it further. I plan on building mine stock except for adding a Shuttlebay in the aft section.

I am very excited for this kit. As far as detail goes it looks to replicate the filming miniature quite well, with,as stated by another, finer details to be supplemented with photo etch. Are there a couple parts missed on the build? In the pics posted above there are some details on the "real" ship and what appear to be location holes between a couple details.

I actually see this kit as R2 making an honest effort to up their game in terms of accuracy and detail to follow the lead of companies like Bandai. As a consumer, I want to see companies pushing the art and technology forward. The K'tinga won't yet match the sharpness of detail of some of Bandai's best offerings, but it is definitely a leap forward for the company.

Now if they'd only retool the E-refit... ;)

I actually see this kit as R2 making an honest effort to up their game in terms of accuracy and detail to follow the lead of companies like Bandai. As a consumer, I want to see companies pushing the art and technology forward. The K'tinga won't yet match the sharpness of detail of some of Bandai's best offerings, but it is definitely a leap forward for the company.

Now if they'd only retool the E-refit... ;)

I'm super excited for this kit. I'm definitely in for one, and if I can swing it, I'll get three.

I was mostly teasing about the paint job. It seems to be almost totally subjective. I prefer the greens that can be seen in the Andy Probert photo. If someone wants more tan colors, go for it. If you want to paint it pink and put a decal of Twilight Sparkle on the bottom, where the Tri-foil belongs, be my guest. Just buy it!

I wasn't being critical of you being critical, Edge. :cheers I agree about the paint job. It's a work in progress. I think that unlike the TOS and Refit E's, there is more subjective wiggle room to how its painted based on it's varying on-screen appearance.

I wasn't being critical of you being critical, Edge. :cheers I agree about the paint job. It's a work in progress. I think that unlike the TOS and Refit E's, there is more subjective wiggle room to how its painted based on it's varying on-screen appearance.

I didn't think you were. I just wanted to make it painfully obvious to anyone reading that: I love this kit and how they finish it, is up to them.

LACK OF DETAIL? Are you freakin' kidding me? This could be one of *the* most authentic sci-fi model kits ever attempted (at least for Star Trek) in terms of trying to match, as closely as possible, the details on the original. Really, the only compromises here were those required to A) make it via injection molding and B) make it 1/2 the size of the original subject. They could've cut all kinds of corners in terms of detailing and parts count, but they didn't. You should see the parts count in this thing.

I can see some pretty obvious differences between the original and this kit that have nothing to do with injection molding technology. I'm not even sure why they would skip some of the details I can see very easily. I can see that some things are thicker and chunkier or proportions slightly different, fair enough, but there are literally parts missing or vastly simplified. Just seems a shame considering the apparent effort gone in to it. And why not compete with Bandai?

Competing with Bandai requires some incredibly expensive molds (slide-molds and other "tricks" that cost a fortune). I have a test shot of this kit and I can tell you I was honestly blown away. I really wasn't expecting it to be as "crisp" and sharp as it turned out. It is much better than I'd hoped!

I didn't create patterns for the detail parts, those were done by the factory working only from photos. They did a better job than I expected. Things being "thickened up" were deemed necessary for molding. And I really don't see missing details in the example shown above. You need to realize the ship's detailing varied from one point to another and so appears different depending on the time the photo was taken. For example, those "gun barrels" on the disruptor turrets were present early on but later were removed. Some details were replaced, others were damaged and then reinstalled differently. Some parts even fell off during filming. Nailing down the exact configuration was like trying to hit a moving target. . .

It's not intended to (color wise).

Actually, when they painted it, it was indeed intended to look that way on screen. unfortunately the blue screen process, lighting etc, made it appear drastically different.
But I'm with you on painting it as it appeared on screen and not in production photos. To each their own, though.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back