Second Age High Elven Warrior (Lord of the Rings LOTR)

Hi Everyone!

Super long time member, highly infrequent poster. I usually stick to Star Wars stuff but have always wanted to build the elven armor seen in the prologue to Fellowship of the Ring. My ultimate goal is Gil Galad and, with this armor build, probably Elrond just to round it all out :)

First, this build is all based on, and thanks to, Caleb (Kelsohighlander) who figured out this method: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=229843&highlight=elven+armor It involves rolled vinyl flooring, 1/4" water line, and brass brads. He even provided the templates. This build is almost directly a copy of those templates and methods. My next round will be making some changes to the templates, particularly the shape of the shoulder petals, and hopefully finding some good, relatively flat, edge trim to give a more accurate hammered edge look.

Armor: rolled vinyl flooring; this has wood texture, next version will be smooth. This stuff is super easy to work with and especially after attaching the water line trim it's very sturdy. The vinyl won't take spray paint, not even after trying plastidip spray. Might take it after an acrylic base coat but I don't know. What you see on mine is a four-layer paint job featuring a couple greens and a couple metallics. It's hard walking the line between how golden the armor appears on film and in various figures v. the very drab, dull gold and green of the actual costume. This errs on the side of what we expect to see. Next version will try to fine a better middle ground.

Helmet/Shield/Sword: all official United Cutlery replicas; ultimate goal is to get a casting of the helmet and possibly a vac shell of the shield for lightweight convention options; these things are heavy as hell. May try to replicate the sword in something safe or just make a safe spear.

Chainmail: WETA was kind enough to respond to my inquiry about the infantry chainmail and confirmed it is a spandex material with zig-zaggy pattern that they dyed and then screen-printed with some metallic highlights. It looks chainmailish from a distance. In order to get the really tight coif at the neck and tuck into the bracers I feel you really need to follow the spandex route. I found some chainmail spandex pattern at Joann and am having a couple shirts made.

Cape: I was convinced the cape was lame (lamay) with some dyeing but it's such a pain to work with I felt it was probably something else. Today I found a crushed michonne at a fabric warehouse here in Chicago that looks green/gold to the eye but photographs gold/silver/pewter and both dull and super shiny depending on the light. It's practically perfect and I'm finding it hard to believe it's not what they used.

Left to do: still need to attach leather (faux for this first version) strapping down the chest lames and across the shoulders, sew the cape and line it with blue velvet, make a blue velvet skirt, and find some appropriate boots/gloves.

You can see way more progress on:
my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/philip.cline.5/media_set?set=a.10211087478403654.1073741862.1256916088&type=3&pnref=story
Instagram (Philgalad)

25677718147_955bf5e367_z.jpg

25677718057_365f41dd21_z.jpg

25677717987_f06674a071_z.jpg

39837829844_c98e2b31e4_z.jpg

25677717867_48f0f5367a_z.jpg

Here's a pic of a film costume and along the side are four separate pics of the cape fabric I found (crushed michonne) taken just seconds apart in the car under overcast sky just at different angles. It's amazing stuff and I'm convinced it's right.

39653200155_ee25056ca5_z.jpg

Thanks for reading, I'm likely to be more responsive on my FB and IG accounts but feel free to ask questions here and I'll be checking back in here and there. Expecting to have a relatively complete costume by May and will certainly be sharing more pics :)

Phil

Really nice work! I've always loved the 2nd Age armor from the prologue. One of these days I'm gonna have to try to do a Numenorean build...

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

All finished! I'll spare all the build details because the general gist can be found in Kelsohighlander's original thread (linked above) and all my progress is archived on Instagram under "Philgalad" or publicly on my Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/philip.cline.5/media_set?set=a.10211087478403654.1073741862.1256916088&type=3

While fully wearable, I haven't found an adhesive I love for holding the vinyl tubing to the vinyl plates. Too much moving around and it starts to pop off here and there and it's very hard to put it back on while wearing. So, this suit is really more for display and I'm auctioning it off for someone to enjoy in their collection as I start over with a few ideas for durability in wearing it around. The paint is handpainted acrylic; I love how it came out and the dynamic gold/green but I didn't put a finish over it for fear of dulling it down or glossing the patina so that's another factor in long-term durability. Even just suiting up briefly rubbed paint off where the pauldron meets the chest under the arm.

All in all, though, I think it turned out gorgeous and I'm very proud of it :)

41478338232_aa556d797c_c.jpg

41478344482_88cc5dbe06_c.jpg

41478345672_e19dbc94e0_c.jpg

41478346402_c5ce2c99fa_c.jpg

41478350262_72d72beb8f_c.jpg

41478352922_17d4d27f2d_c.jpg

27648886488_58f96e4710_c.jpg

39710551990_d6b1a01570_c.jpg

40626396415_e8dfd5d1a5_c.jpg

And a quick tease of what Elrond will look like. Daniel Falconer at WETA confirmed that he and Gil-galad wore butcher chainmail on their arms and for Elrond's mantle. Elrond will of course have no leather strapping and scrollwork on his armor and clasps on his cape etc, but I love the way this looks :)

40806345654_4db12e26fd_c.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back