DinoReplicas - dinosaur bone models and more

Such a drastic change from low poly to detailed. Fantastic work.

Good reference helps me get the details correct quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Blasting through the five digits, starting at the middle (digit III).

middle_toe_detail_by_strick67-dceu73o.jpg

Innermost digits I and II sculpted and detailed, that just leaves the IV and V to finish. Digit IV has five bones, the most of all the toes. Digit V is just a vestigial splint in the form of a single bone, it's barely there.

digits_i_and_ii_by_strick67-dceun8v.jpg

Last edited:
For the life bust I'll model a base mesh around the skull and neck which can then be sculpted and detailed for the final appearance. The intention is that this will be a life restoration that the bones fit into. I've made a little drawing over a screen-grab so I can 'think out' the life model.

life_pose_head_by_strick67-dcf6rj8.jpg

I'm aiming for a close fit initially so I can increase volume at the sculpting stage. Having the underlying bones will also be good for getting elements in the correct position, for example the eyes can fit snugly in the orbits and the ear opening should be placed between the quadratojugal bone and the depressor mandibulae.

I'll build in a little extra volume in places so I've got some sculpting 'meat' for the lips and the jaw muscles. (shown in green).

Really looking forward to seeing that. Your work on the bones has been awesome to follow, so seeing you put meat on the bones and all the thought you put into it makes this really exciting.

Really looking forward to seeing that. Your work on the bones has been awesome to follow, so seeing you put meat on the bones and all the thought you put into it makes this really exciting.

Thanks, this part is a bit of a bit of a leap in the dark for me. Making accurate bones is just a case of copying nature, the life bust will be a lot more exploratory and intuitive from a sculpting point of view. Nice change of pace for me though.

- - - Updated - - -

Still at fairly early stages with the life bust, would've been further ahead with this but among other things, I spent the last three days messing around with a logo for Dinosaur Replicas.

rex_life_mesh01_by_strick67-dcfnwri.jpg

rex_life_mesh02_by_strick67-dcfnwwg.jpg

Made a start by modelling a base mesh directly over the bones. I'm aiming for clean(ish) structure with quad-poly grids in the 'hero' areas. Because this part is more exploratory and intuitive than the bone work, it's more important that the subdivided polys are as square as possible to minimise stretching. They're a bit rectangular at the moment but I'll add loops to improve this once the basic shape has been roughed out.

rex_life_mesh03_by_strick67-dcfnwyd.jpg

I think there will have to be a couple of areas where I'll break my own rules to add details, probably for the eyes, lips and maybe nostrils and under the jaw. This will be to make 'helper' form for these areas. Think I'll make the eye it's own mesh too.

Haven't spent enough time on this lately, too many distractions like life getting in the way. Might have a concentrated session over weekend.

t_rex_skull_base_mesh_04_by_strick67-dcfrsgz.jpg

Got the neck and top of head blocked out. Many of the base polys still too rectangular for my liking, it's tempting to go in and fiddle with this now this but it would be a mistake to do this before I fully know where I am with the shape.

t_rex_skull_base_mesh_05_by_strick67-dcfrstf.jpg

t_rex_skull_base_mesh_06_by_strick67-dcfrt10.jpg

Gone ahead and prepped my little graphic for the scale sizes, I don’t feel the need to show all scales visually as it just takes up space. When I (eventually) get the 3D printed models sorted this image will go into the carousel gallery on the Shapeways page for the product. Bit premature maybe but hey, it’s done.

tyranno_skull_scales_adjust_by_strick67-dcftcr3.jpg

As I've mentioned previously I hope to supply 7 scales for the 3D print, maybe that's too many but what the heck, that's one of the advantages of working digitally. This checks out to these lengths (rounded)-

1:10 = 152mm
1:12 = 126mm
1:16 = 95mm
1:18 = 84mm
1:20 = 76mm
1:24 = 63mm
1:32 = 48mm

Last edited:
been neglecting the old tyrant again 'cause I've been pasting my new logo across my web presence, also started messing around with an Artstation portfolio. Anyway, made some progress poly patching and shaping the mouth interior. Latest theories are that dino tongues were crocodile-like so I'm going to keep rexy's tongue low in the mouth.

mouth_interior01_by_strick67-dcg9435.jpg

The transverse poly edges are positioned so they will ultimately be stitched with the exterior mouth polygons.
Still need to add some 'helper' definition for the lips somehow (yes, lipped version first), an extra loop should be enough.

mouth_interior02_by_strick67-dcg94ev.jpg

Also this. Here's looking at you, kid!

rex_eye01_by_strick67-dcg94pi.jpg

Although "See ya around, kid" is probably more in keeping with this forum ;)

Looking good!

This is a fun project to follow. I very impressed with all the detail you are putting into this dinosaur!

Thanks guys! i know I'm slow and meticulous with this kind of work, just glad some of you haven't got bored with me yet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The life model base mesh is now a single piece. As planned I've cut an extra loop around the rim of the mouth (the red lines). When subdivided to high-poly this will give me enough definition to sculpt the pocket where lip meets gum, it makes the poly strips either side of the loop quite rectangular but I think that should be OK for this area.

rex_lip_line01_by_strick67-dcgcvk9.jpg

Squaring up the elongate patches on the face and neck was fairly simple, a loop added here and there followed by some vertex editing to reclaim the form. Not perfect by any means but good enough to sculpt without creating stretched details.

rex_square_polys_by_strick67-dcgcvu4.gif

The patch encompassing the eye area has been positioned to bridge with the eyelid work I've been setting up. I'm finalising that now and should be able to post an update later today.

rex_eye_stitch_by_strick67-dcgcwas.jpg

The eye section blended in without issue but I later decided to add an edge to allow form-fitting the mesh around the postorbital boss a little more snugly.

rex_eyebrow_fix_by_strick67-dcge5cj.jpg

That'll do for a while. Going to leave it alone for a few hours and maybe make some tweaks after I've looked again with fresh eyes.

life_rex_grab_01_by_strick67-dcge5j5.jpg

I really admire your work. What I wonder: why do you work with polygons with more than 4 edges? I always thought one should use no more than 4.

why do you work with polygons with more than 4 edges? I always thought one should use no more than 4.

Ngons (>4 sided polygons) used to be more problematic but these days most poly modelling software supports them. Arguably some situations are better handled by quads (4 sided polys), especially structures which need to deform smoothly when animated. Some modellers still prefer all quad topology for everything and get great results.

It's true that triangles and ngons can cause artefacts or 'pinching' when subdivided but often this effect can be exploited to form details with fewer underlying polygons. The big animation studios are known for sometimes using non-quads in deforming animated models.

As I'm making static models for 3D print, animation and deformation are not an issue anyway. I'm using whatever topology will represent the shape best. Also with subdivision surface modelling, ngons and triangles in the base mesh will always be split into quads downstream in the subdivided model.

ngon_sds_test_by_strick67-dcgf83f.jpg

Apart from specific cases like animation, topology style is mainly down to personal preference. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to poly model. Do what works for you.

Hope this answers your question.

Last edited:
Apart from specific cases like animation, topology style is mainly down to personal preference. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to poly model. Do what works for you.

tarnyloo73 -that was a great answer you gave about topology. I know you plan to use this model for exclusively for printing, but have you considered modeling it with topology better suited to movement so it would be more flexible in the future should you ever want to rig and animate it? You are doing such a thoughtful and precise job on the model... just a thought. Seeing a model you created seem to come to life is really thrilling.

However you model it I am really enjoying this thread! I am starting to sculpt (in clay) a T Rex puppet for one of my sons, and learning a lot here!

...but have you considered modeling it with topology better suited to movement so it would be more flexible in the future should you ever want to rig and animate it?

In it's current form I think the head and neck could be animated. The best process though is to high-poly sculpt the object first and then base an animation friendly mesh on it, probably using re-topology methods. This multi-model process is quite standard in animation.

I am starting to sculpt (in clay) a T Rex puppet for one of my sons, and learning a lot here!

Your son is blessed to have a parent with skills, my childhood self is envious!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back