Hasbro and Playmates build ups...

whb64

I'm sure this is a thing... I've seen a few threads on this but I was wondering how many people like taking the Mattel/Hasbro/Now Disney Star Wars toys, or the Playmates or Diamond Select toys and reworking them into something 'special'?

I ask because I literally have every Star Trek Playmates ship ever made... some are in doubles, some triples and some I have five or more, Plus I have a bunch of Star Wars ships. The Playmates and especially the Diamond Select are actually well made, and most even match the model kits in scale. My HMS Bounty BOP looks to be identical in size to the AMT/Round2 kit, but it already has basic lights AND sound. Some of the Diamond Select ships are absolutely exquisite in size and detail, but all could benefit from some accurizing and improvements. Then there is Star Wars... I happen to LOVE 1/32 scale fighter ships. It just so happens when you take the actual size of the Hasbro Star Wars 'toys', they come out to an almost perfect 1/32 scale! Yeah the figures aren't in that scale, but the ships are :)

Some of these 'toys' aren't available in kit form, or at least in this scale. How many of you out there do build ups on these, and if you do please show me your work and links.

(BTW if anyone wants a Playmates Trek ship and I have a duplicate of it, I am willing to trade :) ) Sorry, that's not what this post is about, not trying to be a shill or anything like that.

I am working on a 1/32 scale A-Wing collection. So far I have the original 'toy' and the 'Star Wars Force Resistance A-Wing Fighter and Resistance Pilot Tallie' (When you scale the figures they come out to 10 feet tall! This is with a 1/32 scale pilot)
20180201_212913.jpg

This is my HMS Bounty BOP...
20171029_201857.jpg20171029_201953.jpg[20171029_202323.jpg
View attachment 20171029_202143.jpgView attachment 20171029_202159.jpg

And I have a TON of Vorcha Class Klingon Cruisers that I am working on...
20170425_003051.jpg20170427_031052.jpg

So who else out there is doing this and what are you working on?

Attachments

• 20171029_202215.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 79
As soon as the weather pics up im going to star working on a hasbro Jedi starfighter with the hyperspace docking ring, a repaint some mods and lighting.

As soon as the weather pics up im going to star working on a hasbro Jedi starfighter with the hyperspace docking ring, a repaint some mods and lighting.
Cool! I don't have that ship yet but do want to get one. I'm trying to get a Snowspeeder, well, at a good price.

I have a whole fleet of V'orcha's (I think I have 6 or 7 of them) and I have no idea how many 1701-Ds... and as I mentioned at least one of every other Playmates ship. For Star Wars I have the classic Tie Fighter, Tie Bomber, Y-Wing, new Force Awakens Tie Fighter (scored that one for $8 at ToysRUs!) original A-Wing, the new A-Wing, and a couple more in a box in storage, not sure which ones. Sadly I don't have the Walmart exclusive Falcon or big X-Wing. I'm looking for those though as well as an AT-AT.

I'm not sure how many Borg Cubes I have, I know I have two, might have 3 or 4. If I can get 8 total I might combine them into one big Borg cube! I do have an old Kenner X-Wing but it's pretty awful looking as far as the wrong size and shape. Maybe it might be a good candidate for a kit bash custom fighter. The Trek ships look to be almost the exact same size as their model counter part... if not the exact same size. I might do some build ups on them or take the sound modules out and put them in a kt build... not sure yet.

I am working on a 1/32 scale A-Wing collection. So far I have the original 'toy' and the 'Star Wars Force Resistance A-Wing Fighter and Resistance Pilot Tallie' (When you scale the figures they come out to 10 feet tall! This is with a 1/32 scale pilot)
View attachment 799086

I've got that same ship, with aspirations to eventually make it into a nice model! Where did you get that pilot figure?

I grabbed it from the ProShop motorized X-Wing kit I have laying around that I haven't built yet. I just wanted to see what it would look like The ship does scale out to 1/32 but the action figure would be 10' tall at that scale! So I threw a 1/32 scale pilot in. It looks about right to me.

I just did a 10 minute weathering job on it just to see how it would look. I plan on recasting the engine exhausts in clear and then lighting the engines and cockpit and I will call it a day.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back