Ralph McQuarrie X wing 1/24 WIP

Ive been thinking about what kind of finish I should give this.

Every one of these McQ x wings Ive seen has a dull punish, but yet Every time I try to picture a white vehicle in the real world I can only recall glossy.
Whether its a car or plane or boat I only imagine a glossy finish.
Military vehicles tend to be dull in color but when it comes to white it always seems gloss is the way to go.

Any opinions from you guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost every built-up model kit I've seen with a glossy finish looks like a toy to me. Unless it's a car kit that's supposed to look showroom fresh, I matte/flat coat almost everything I build. Of course, that's just a personal preference, but you asked. ;)

Almost every built-up model kit I've seen with a glossy finish looks like a toy to me. Unless it's a car kit that's supposed to look showroom fresh, I matte/flat coat almost everything I build. Of course, that's just a personal preference, but you asked. ;)

I probably wouldnt go with gloss. I would most likely go with satin ir semigloss.

THats the thing, i also flat coat almost everything I build....but then again almost everything I build is a military color which is usually flat.

Im looking for examples of white military vehicles with a flat coat.

Even military drones that are white have a gloss finish.

As far as finish, Star Wars is known for and even iconic for have old, worn, battle damaged, and even dirty vehicles. Based on that nothing would have a glossy look or finish. It also flies in the face of how the real military does things. Unless something just came from a battle field, everything is usually very clean. Flats and drab colors are an obvious- so they don't reflect light and make a vehicle an easy target. That said, that's the real world and this is sc-fi, so anything can go.

I guess the question is this- How did McQuarrie envision this ship? Battle worn and dirty, or more clean and pristine? Personally I wouldn't go with anything more than a satin finish but that's just me. I was in the military and everything does have more of a matte finish for the reason I mentioned above. Unless it's a show vehicle like the Blue Angels or something like that.

As far as finish, Star Wars is known for and even iconic for have old, worn, battle damaged, and even dirty vehicles. Based on that nothing would have a glossy look or finish. It also flies in the face of how the real military does things. Unless something just came from a battle field, everything is usually very clean. Flats and drab colors are an obvious- so they don't reflect light and make a vehicle an easy target. That said, that's the real world and this is sc-fi, so anything can go.

I guess the question is this- How did McQuarrie envision this ship? Battle worn and dirty, or more clean and pristine? Personally I wouldn't go with anything more than a satin finish but that's just me. I was in the military and everything does have more of a matte finish for the reason I mentioned above. Unless it's a show vehicle like the Blue Angels or something like that.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Btw- Space shuttle, Perfect reference!

Some interior cockpit touch ups before I start on the exterior.

b0dfb4c32be937ac9e3dc9225cc3f507.jpg

bdefb6c1316e5b1bee5c0f9c6084da75.jpg

...I guess the question is this- How did McQuarrie envision this ship? Battle worn and dirty, or more clean and pristine? Personally I wouldn't go with anything more than a satin finish but that's just me...
Oh, good point! The Star Wars universe in McQuarrie's paintings was far more clean and pristine than it was in the movies, but very few items were painted as having any sort of "shine" other than Vader's helmet and the Stormtroopers' armor. Even the painting in the first post shows the X-Wing as being very clean and well maintained, but I don't see any indications of glossiness.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back