Ralph McQuarrie X wing 1/24 WIP

This is looking great! Can I ask what you used to make the small rectangular black markings here?

I used the decals that came with the kit, but I could have easily masked them off and airbrushed them (lord knows I had plenty of practice with the Millennium Falcon)
I was in the fence about which method to use...opted for the decals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well sure, but you still have to replicate it. Color matching isn't easy, you've done well!

Yeah.
The big issue is deciding which photo of McQuarrie’s X-Wing to use.
There are so many on the internet and they all seem to vary slightly in color and values from to another.

Some are very light in values and saturation and some are very dark. Some have the marking being very orange and some have it being more yellowish orange.
Some have the grey stripe being simply grey, and other have the stripe with a bluish green tint.
Sone have the fuselage being white and other show it being off-white.

Panel lines...so much fun! Lol

(Actually it is kind of fun.)

7f865cf28d07e06dea28ac4329cb6661.jpg

I know what you mean. I've been looking for a 3D model of it to use as a base for super detailing and scaling up to make an 18" or 24" 3D printed model. Guess I'll have to make my own. Not much to go off of for reference.

I prefer whatever you did in the second photo. Having worked for 18.5 years at a facility that processed steel parts, it looks to me more like steel affected by the heat of the propulsion system. Of course, this is the Star Wars universe so it's entirely possible those thrust nozzles are made from some kind of fictional mystery material that doesn't react to heat in the same way steel does, so go with whichever look you prefer.

Yeah, I'm a lot of help. :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back