Identifying Material of Overmold on Electronics Test Equipment

Mezzer26

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot. I am curious to know if anyone has any idea what material is used for the overmold material on electronics instruments like digital multimeters or the bumpers on power supplies. I want to use it in a project of mine that isn't actually related to a prop build but I watch tested on youtube regularly and I think this is the RPF they speak about. I'm thinking it could be some kind of urethane (seems to stiff to be rubber) but I honestly have no idea since I'm not familiar with materials that would be used for shock absorption like this. I figure if anyone can give me an idea of the overmold material used and then also the best methods for casting it myself that this could be the place! I've included pictures of what I'm talking about below (orange material), thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Best Regards,
Mezz

9k=

images

9k=

HI
Urethane rubber sounds to me as the way to go, at least for a prototype. For high production amounts there might be other materials, injection rubbers of different kinds etc...(industrial use) Urethane rubbers are designed in higher shore hardness than silicones. And they are tough, wich is needed for an impact protection part as the one you are after.
For example:
https://www.smooth-on.com/products/simpact-85a/
Anyway you´ll find a vast amount of refferences of this kind of products. You will have to choose taking in account all the parameters...pot life, demolding time, viscosity and others,depending on the molding/casting path you follow.

Take i account urethane rubbers are glue, it sticks like hell to everything (besides silicone). So take in account you will have to use mold releases depending on the material you use for molding.

As for the molding/casting techniques it would be good to know what are you exactly after and how do you intend to aproach i. Innitialy it sounds like a mold with a core inside (the core could be a part of the final piece).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back