CHAPPiE Head Project

Kenobi

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a project that I have been wanting to do for a while now, and have been inspired by amuelb's awesome build to get started. I purchased the 3D files from fellow member Razmataz, and have commissioned skynet23 to print it.

Whilst it is printing, I have been researching the head stickers and was lucky to obtain the front data plate from amuelb, which is perfect.

I have been trying to use the actual scout build, but have also had to refer to the 3D model too. I am 99% done on the designs I have done with maybe a bit more tweaking to do on the BW sticker:

EoA1qip.jpg

ZY8dQwI.jpg

OyvvFA2.jpg

YtVzg5N.jpg

cylaHs8.jpg

6tr73fG.jpg

I have some time now to work on the lighting options for the head and paint tests, and will post my development of this shortly.

Scott

Last edited:
All lighting ordered, so did some minor improvements to the stickers:

6tr73fG.jpg

g5CSRuZ.jpg

OyvvFA2.jpg

XvByCDo.jpg

The sticker which bothered me the most was the BW one, and I spent hours trying to research it in order to replicate it as accurate as possible. I was so happy when Christian Pearce the senior concept artist at Weta responded. I wasn't too far off as you can see:

UUylPvd.jpg

KkIy1NW.jpg

I am SOOOO excited to see this come together!
You're stickers were really accurate. I am excited to get them printed out :)

Thanks Amy!

Looks Awesome Gary, can't wait to get to work on it!

In the meantime I have been researching small fans for the left side of the head, and to be honest it has been a nightmare getting anything remotely accurate. The practical build has seven blades on the fan, whilst the CG version has eight. The main issue is how small the centre circle of the fan is on both versions. In real life the only fans I have been able to source have a large centre circle, especially models 25mm and 30mm in size.

As such I met a cool guy on CGTrader who had a great design and was able to make some alterations and scale it to suit.

CyZ6pJb.jpg

vqNxvyT.jpg

lirGGVJ.jpg
3fKPiPl.jpg

Thank you for taking your time on the fan Gary, and the helmet looks great!

Electronic parts have started arriving in the post, so had a free hour today to do some testing. I tried 3mm and 5mm LED's for the eyes, and will have to wait until the helmet arrives to see which look more accurate scale wise. I opted for the flat LED's and sanded them to diffuse the light. I powered them with a 9V battery, but will have a voltage regulator fitted, and you can see that they are plant bright enough at 2.5V.

I had ordered 2mm green LED's for the 8 small head lights, but sampled some 1mm fibre optic, and have some 1.5mm on the way. Definitely going down the fire optic route for the green LED's.

That leaves the blue and green right cheek lights, which I will be using 5mm LED's.

4B9mN7l.jpg

I am not 100% happy with using standard LED's for the eyes, as even the 3mm LED's pulling 2.5V appear too bright. I have asked a friend who is familiar with OLED display modules to have a go at replicating the eyes. I have the dimensions of 88mm x 24mm for the eye frame to work with, and this ratio of 3:11 fitted perfectly with the screen stills of Chappie.

As such I was able to use screen shots to replicate the eye dimensions from the 88mm x 24mm frame, which gave me the following (+-0.5mm):

3REqULT.jpg

HKmEatu.jpg

wrwlh1s.jpg

I'm struggling with the eyes too... I ended up using 5mm LEDs and hooked them to an arduino, I then put in some code to reduce the brightness. Seems to have worked because they were awfully blinding before!
I also inserted a black fabric behind my visor which helped hide the inside of the helmet and also reduced the lights brightness even further... Perhaps that might work for you?

Looking great!

Thanks for the advice Amy, hope you are progressing well!

I have ordered an Arduino programmer to try and write a code for the OLED displays...not sure how I will get on, but will give it a go.

skynet23 kindly sent me an illustration of the CPU cover, so I scaled the decals onto it and will get them ordered this week:

ysLlbLn.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I just see what you made with my 3D files!!!! You really take care about details, that will be awesome!!! I'm really looking forward to seeing the painting step!!!

Had some free time this weekend, and with everything in hand, I did a paint test.

A layer of XTC-3D, a layer of ProXL Build Primer, layer of Tamiya Silver Leaf, layer of metallic blue and some airbrush weathering with raw umber. I could have done with a second layer of XTC, but have learned for the other parts...

diezS0C.jpg

DnW8n6C.jpg

PyVqeDF.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back