B-wing Model Question

jusdrewit

Sr Member
What's the best Star Wars B-wing model kit available nowadays? All I mainly see on eBay or elsewhere are the old MPC regular or gold plated B-wing model kits. The SMT or BlueMoon B-wing kit seem very rare and expensive, so are there are any other options? I haven't seen any news that Bandai will be making one, but thought I'd ask the pros here. Thanks!

In the "Bandai release schedule" thread there's been talk recently of the 1/72 b-wing coming from Bandai. Check it out.

While it seems likely Bandai might be doing one, just know it has not been confirmed as an official release yet as there is no release date announcement, only a prototype on display at a show.

As far as commercial kits. The small MPC/AMT/ETRL one is the only one. It is around 1/110 scale.

There were several different releases of it, including gold plated versions, one with smoked glass canopy, one with clear, different box art etc..., but the are all the same basic model

There was an "F-Toys" 1/144 version as well (basically Fine Molds made the actual tooling)

There are at least 2 or 3 different studio scale ones. There may be more, but I don't know much about any of them or how much shared lineage they had. I have seen many build ups of various studio scale kits and you'd probably get better info on them from the Studio Scale section. Of these, the only one you that might still be in production is the Neison (Nice-N?) one, but I'd be reluctant trying to pre-order direct from him given his spotty track record for delivering products people paid for.

There is the Alfred Wong mastered ones in 1/48 and 172 which have been released by various garage kit producers like SMT and Fantastic Plastic as well as maybe direct from Al Wong. I'm not sure, but I think he may have done a studio scale one as well, or was it a 1/32?

I have the Fantastic Plastic 1/72 one and the MPC/AMT/ERTL one.

The Alfred Wong one looks the part and is a good representation of the B-wing for most casual observers.

I'm quite happy with it for what it is. i.e. it looks like a B-Wing

If you start scrutinizing it for accuracy though. Some of the basic proportions/shapes are wrong (like the long main wing tapering instead of being an equal thickness throughout the length, or the cockpit cone shape and the engine area)

The MPC is smaller, but it is actually a very nice kit despite it's size, and surprisingly accurate and detailed compared to other MPC/AMT/ERTL Star Wars kits. I haven't taken out the calipers and rulers to measure everything, but just glancing at it compared to the ILM models, it looks right. The main issue is really just the small size and raised panel lines as well as gap/seam issues

Last edited:
Like what Scott said, just wait for Bandai's 1/72 B-Wing announcement. It'll probably come out in the latter half of 2018, likely after the Han and Luke figures.

Thank you everyone for the replies, I have checked the Bandai release schedule for what seems like ages but hadn't checked it recently, so I had missed the possibility of the B-wing kit finally. I'll cross my fingers and hope Bandai comes through!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back