What Fabric(s) would you recommend? [Captain Marvel]

sadmop

Hi there everyone! As is common (I think? haha), it's 5am and I'm flooded with inspiration for a new cosplay. I've never had much of an issue with picking fabric for cosplays, but this one has me a bit stumped...

Captain Marvel front.jpgCaptain Marvel chest 2.jpgCaptain Marvel Wide side.jpg

I'm a hug novice when it comes to cosplay (I've only done the Grandmaster from Thor Ragnarok, actually) so I'm not quite sure the fabric types I'd need for Captain Marvel, here. It seems pretty matte finish to me (given the accents on the arms and all over, also the star?) but I seriously don't know what to use!

If any of you have the slightest idea for fabric that Joanne's might carry that would be awesome. Also, for the black parts, I'm just now noticing that it could be some kind of solid build out of foam or something? I'm mainly talking about the bust area for that one... I'm not sure! I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

ps, this post is all over the place. it's very late/early and i'm so tired I can't even think straight. I wanted to get this post on here asap though so.

The folks making the marvel costumes like to use custom printed textured fabrics so an exact match will be tough, but I have some suggestions.

Firstly heres my plan, I'm using these bts pics to make a Captain Mar-Vell cosplay which will fingers crossed be what Jude law ends up wearing at some point. To do this I will actually be using a ready made vinyl/faux leather suit that I will be adding fabric, foam and other bits too. You may be able to do the same with female knightwing cosplay or similiar.

Okay so to what your looking for, fabrics, I'm sticking with Yaya Hans line of fabrics. There are a few that look really usable like her hex, honeycomb, and carbon fiber. Joanns carries them, they stretch and they sew really well.

To make her starburst you may be able to modify a pepakura pattern of Captain Americas five point star into a four point star, do that in two sizes to get her 8 point star. I'll be doing Mar-vells old school Saturn emblem for my suit.

For all the green armor I'll be using 2,3, and 6mm foam (joanns carries 3mm in white fyi). That extra mm in the 3 makes things pop, I used it quite a bit in my Captain America CW and IW suit.

For colors: I have had great success with Angelus Leather acrylic paints from amazon on my Captain America cosplay so I'll be using their silver, black, and green to paint the fabric(since Yayas are mostly black) and foam. I haven't tried them on her fabrics yet but I'm confident. If you start yours before me I suggest testing a bit to make sure it will paint the fabric, something I plan to do also.

Finishing off by doing a light wash/weathering of some kind of dark green acrylic craft paint to the "black" portions of the suit to give the whole thing that green hue it has.

I hope I have given you some helpful advice. best of luck to you.

What’s worked well for me on these types of projects is to first develop a really refined base pattern. Then, then sketch in the style lines and determine where you need the stretch for movement. When you have that done, decide on the fabrics.

Marvel fabrics are custom so, if you want to purchase off the bolt, best to just decide on things that you like and work best for you. For my past Marvel projects, I’ve used a combination of Cordura, metallic vinyls, headliner foam, 2mm craft foam, jumbo spandex and ponte. Personally, I would not try this in all stretch as you need the structure to really give the suit its powerful presence.

I would recommend checking out some of the Captain America threads as the process could be quite similar. There are a lot of great threads that cover incorporating pattern development, fabric selection and combination of materials to create these pieces. I have a few on here as well if you want to look them up.

My biggest tips: pattern first, then fabrics; figure out what is structure and what is stretch/movement, then fabrics; finally, IMHO, to knock this out of the park, Joann is not the answer. Shop vendors online. You’ll likely be happier and spend less. Happy to send some links your way if you want to explore.

:)

Also look into Neoprene. It's thick and has a decent structure to it. You can easily line it with another colour spandex or something.

Hey! So I'm not making the Kree uniform, but the hero suit version. (Spent 2 hours last night photoshopping a set pic into the right colours lol)

So anyway I found some high res set pics, and the black/grey parts appear to be a backed spacer mesh sort of material. It's an all in one suit, with the only detachable pieces being the boot covers, the belt, and the sleeves which are on a separate undershirt. The chest piece I wouldn't be surprised if it was cast rubber, or leather (I'm going to be using leather myself). And I think the whole thing fastens down the back with a zip probably. The back has a sort of piece sitting on top, not fully sewn on, coming down from the neck so I wouldn't be surprised if it's covering a zip.

Hope I could help! I'm going to be posting my progress on the forum once I get going! received_1910723552273900.jpeg

Now that more set pics have come up it looks like the green under the shoulders is kind of a suede. Now I’m thinking a ds9 or voyager uniform pattern might be something to build from. Just a thought.5F45436E-D6C7-41BA-B339-481BE8563A32.jpeg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back