Rey's Saber contest winner announced

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Welcome to the Rey's concept design contest. A few of us dreamed up a new saber for Rey and posted here for you to enjoy.

'What will Rey's lightsaber look like in the upcoming episode now that Luke's saber has been destroyed?.

YOU CAN NOW DECIDE!'.

roygilsing

more info can be read here on the original sign up thread.
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=285357

- - - Updated - - :unsure

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Rey's Saber contest Voting page.

Contest Rules

Do not comment on your entry! These will be lettered , Do not share your letter !

This will completely dismiss the reason for a non participating member posting the photos.

Just sit back and enjoy other members commenting on our work. Once the voting is over, do what ever you want. Share what ever you want. Post what ever you want.
:confused

1 vote per member please.

As far as contestants voting, so far the majority agreed it was fine and most want to vote.

Voting tip, pull yours out and pick the one you like best :cool.

Big thanks to Drew for using his free time to post our entries. Cudos to all members who participated.

Enjoy

Last edited:

Congratulations to our mystery winner, SIR Roygilsing.
m HT201802051074-Edit.jpg

Thanks to everyone that participated.

Last edited:

Entries A and B

Entry A said:
Entry A

Design notes in image format:

a DesignDescription.jpga1 SaberBreakdown.jpga2 Rey_Lightsaber.jpgView attachment a3 HangingSaber.jpg

Entry B said:
Entry B

I approached Rey’s saber with the idea that technology would continue to evolve elsewhere in the galaxy just as it does for us. The backbone is an advanced carbon fiber open architecture making Rey’s saber lighter and more agile. The entire design is slimmer for a personal fit to her hand size. Because Rey is technically savvy, one would expect to see some performance enhancements, like the external surge accumulator mounted in the lower end of the hilt. This feeds through a small stabilizer on the bottom. Some of the internal harmonic and drive components can be seen through the open structure leading up to the crystal. Beyond which is the containment tube and shutter open/close button strategically placed for one handed operation. The containment tube is now a sleek and small unit eliminating some of the external components typical of the older sabers. The modern emitter provides better blade stability also allowing her to avoid a shrouded design, but not withstanding a couple of fine adjustment points added by Rey, of course.

b1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Entries C and D

Entry C said:
Entry C

Okay so I finished my Rey saber and I will go over every little detail from top to bottom. The saber has a lot of graflex inspiration in it since Rey would be able to reverse engineer it.
Top:
On the emitter there is a little black button with three brass tabs coming out, that looks like a red button beer tab. There is also a charging pin socket with a brass ring around it.
The neck, grip, and pommel are painted to match parts of Rey’s staff
There is a black piece on the back of the main silver grip that looks like the vader door latch or like bunny ears.
There is a silver knob on the bottom grip.
The pommel is inspired by a staff part and there is a d-ring like the graflex one.

c image1.jpgc image2.jpgc image3.jpg

Entry D said:
Entry D

Here is my interpretation of Reys saber, this is what I think she would have scavenged or had to hand.

Cord for the grip as not to make it to bulky in her hand

In the central part of the clamp (back side ) she has used part of the Jedi training ball from the falcon, when locked in battle with another saber she can emit a pulse of energy to distract her opponent, also she has a couple of bits on her saber taken from Kylo’s possessions ( Vader mask bits )

This saber also has a double belt hanger, I felt a single hanger would allow the saber to swing to much, so a double hanger would allow her to position it at her side fastened to her thigh as well as the belt so not to swing awkwardly when running, the belt and saber holder is my next design.

d image1.jpgd image2.jpgd image3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Entries E and F

Entry E said:
Entry E

"I have been imagining Rey scrubbing the liberated parts, driven in her construction by something luminous, something newly found, newly born.

Born from that red, burning, throne room."

e rsweb734.jpge webrs37.jpge webrs47.jpg

Entry F said:
Entry F

I’ve attempted to create a design using aspects from the Graflex lightsaber, as well as Luke’s ROTJ V1, and I borrowed the tsuba idea from Kanan Jarrus’ design. It was made almost entirely from found parts/hardware, except for the clamp which is from a Graflex 2.0 (I didn’t have enough time to fabricate one). The emitter is aluminium pipe on top of a burner from a camping stove, the thin-neck is a hose attachment, the ribbed section is made up of alternating steel and rubber washers, the body is more aluminium pipe with neoprene strips glued on to it, and the pommel is a 1 ½ inch sink plug.

f ReyNewLightsaberPic1.JPGf ReyNewLightsaberPic2.JPGf ReyNewLightsaberPic3.JPG

Entries G and H

Entry G said:
Entry G

“The Force Scavenger”

Forged using the old methods with Luke’s saber as an influence Rey’s new saber is a two handed model to better suit her staff fighting experience. Wrapped with the same wrappings as her staff for a solid familiar grip.

Crafted of all vintage steel and vintage Aluminum flash tubes Rey’s new scavenger saber has a full sound and lights kit with a “revealed” crystal chassis showing off the Blue crystal humming with force power.

g image1.jpgg image2.jpgg image3.jpg

Entry H said:
Entry H

As Rey is a keen parts salvager/scavenger, it was clear she would most likely be building a new lightsaber with parts acquired from various sources. This hilt was built entirely from found parts except for a bezel for the data port located in the grip near the pommel. The main feature of this hilt is the data port, which was salvaged from a compressor module, which Unkar Plutt installed in the Millennium Falcon’s ignition line, and that Rey quickly removed when it began stressing the hyperdrive. Through this port, data can be transferred easily, including loading holographic messages, which can be played using the hilt. Overall, this hilt is slightly shorter than traditional lightsabers to better fit Rey’s hands.

Actual found parts:

Emitter end is constructed from part of a steam trap, a flow control valve, and a vacuum pump drain plug.
Between the emitter and main body is a bezel from an industrial control panel switch.
The whole emitter assembly is attached to the bottom of a pneumatic actuator.
A flush-mount push button switch was installed into the air cylinder to serve as the activation button.
The grip was made from a steam pressure sensor (metal rings and pommel) and rubber pinch rollers, probably from some sort of large paper feeder.
The data port is a socket for an edge connected printed circuit board.
The bezel surrounding the socket was machined from aluminum.
The entire grip assembly is installed over the rod end of the pneumatic actuator.
Assembled without any visible fasteners.

All found parts were found, picked, and purchased at an electronics supplier that sells components, kits, and, best of all, junk electronics...both modern and vintage!

h IMG_4762.JPGh IMG_4763.JPGh IMG_4764.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Entries I and J

Entry I said:
Entry I

My design is based off how well she uses her staff. Originally, I was going to make it smaller and sleeker to fit better in her hands. However I decided to make it a little longer and a little thinner. She can easily grip this with both hands, and keep the same feel she has while using her staff for battle.

i contest (2).JPGi contest (3).JPGi contest (1).JPG

Entry J said:
Entry J

This lightsaber is inspired directly from the Ralph McQuarrie painting he did for the cover of "Splinter of the Mind's Eye". It is a unique take from the original star wars designer with flat sides on what has been traditionally round. Holding it, it feels similar to a classical metal sword hilt. I've added some buttons at the top to tie it to the graflex saber. The body is painted flat gray: the design reminded me of parts of R2's leg so I wanted to keep it non-metallic.

j IMG_1635.JPGj IMG_1634.JPGj IMG_1631.JPG

Entries K and L

Entry K said:
Entry K

For this design I worked on the assumption that she would use the pieces of Luke Skywalker’s shattered lightsaber. The emitter is taken directly from Luke’s saber. The grip is reminiscent of Obi Wan Kenobi, and Luke’s 2nd lightsaber. I used Luke’s activation box and belt hook design. Rey’s only knowledge of lightsabers comes from Luke’s so it just made sense to use major components from it. Internally she used Luke’s crystal so the blade is blue. Rey is a scavenger so the components are all found items.

k Rey's lightsaber.jpg

Entry L said:
Entry L

“This saber does its best to showcase Rey’s ingenuity as a scavenger. Using what she could salvage from the destroyed Skywalker saber (recycled Graflex parts), she used parts from her staff (the Maul-style collard) as well as what she could learn from the Jedi texts (hence some nods to other lightsabers in the form of a V2 style mystery chunk, and MPP style ports with wires), to construct something new. It’s meant to be a little rough, and would likely be a transition saber to a completely all-new construction when she becomes more seasoned.”

l Rey1.jpgl Rey2.jpgl Rey3.jpg

Entries M and N

Entry M said:
Entry M

Rey never lost faith in the old Jedi master. And when she heard from her friends about his sacrifice for the rebellion she was filled with both grieve and joy at the same time. She committed herself to honor him by repairing his broken lightsaber, but she was unsure if she'd ever manage it from the looks of it. Luckily, the sacred books she recovered from the Jedi temple gave her the required guidance; in it were several chapters dedicated to the technology and the construction of the ancient Jedi weapons. The lightsaber's mid-section was completely destroyed, but luckily the vital elements and the kyber crystal were still intact. Being a scavenger, she still had parts reminiscent of her staff that fitted the purpose of re-attaching the front and back section. This was also an opportunity for a better comfort of the hilt in her hands, so she removed the bulky black grips; something she wanted to do since the first time she held it! Lo and behold: Rey's renewed lightsaber. Owning the personal weapon of Kylo’s grandfather might give her the psychological advantage in their upcoming encounter, which most certainly will occur very soon!

m HT201802051017-Edit.jpgm HT201802051021-Edit.jpgm HT201802051074-Edit.jpg

Entry N said:
Entry N

The destruction of Luke Skywalker’s lightsaber was devastating to Rey. Luke and his elegant lightsaber were a symbol of hope to the resistance, now shattered pieces in her hand. Rey knew that she had to rebuild Luke’s legacy, and the Jedi Order.

Rey spent days studying the remnants of the shattered lightsaber. It was a deceptively complex device. It took time, but she was a able to reverse engineer the technology. Rey could have fixed the lightsaber, but she felt the weight of its legacy. There was only one choice, build a new lightsaber… create a new symbol of hope.

During meditation the design came to her. Rey and Chewbacca took the Millennium Falcon to the junk yard planet of Melrona 3 where Rey traded for parts. The parts came from everything imaginable, the energy manifold from class three hopper, the phase capacitor from the laser cannon of a Z-95 fighter, a power regulator from an R4-6D droid, and the lensing system from an old macro binocular. The last two pieces were very personal to Rey. She used the focusing crystal shard from Luke’s lightsaber to generate the pure energy blade. The final touch was disassembling her staff and using its grip as the chassis to mount everything.

The crystal from Luke’s lightsaber had broken into three large shards which allowed her to create three separate blades with the energy manifold. Perhaps her connection to Kylo Ren had influenced the design, but it just felt right. Using the staff grip made it extremely comfortable and allowed her great dexterity handling the powerful energy blades. The first time she ignited it the three energy blades formed with a soft blue glow. The hum of energy from the blades was in a strange way comforting. As Rey spun the blade and tested its weight she realize she had just opened herself to a larger world.

n Rey's lightsaber entry.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Entries O and P

Entry O said:
Entry O

Rey built this with knowledge in Jedi texts and without special tools from the Jedi Temple of Coruscant

o WP_20180226_18_45_16_Pro.jpgo WP_20180226_18_46_36_Pro.jpgo WP_20180226_18_47_11_Pro.jpg

Entry P said:
Entry P

Rey built this with no special tech from The Jedi Temple so the activation box (actually is a stun weapon absorber as revealed in Jedi texts for this design), is now the technological device on the end.

p WP_20180226_18_41_23_Pro (2).jpgp WP_20180226_18_49_13_Pro (2).jpgp WP_20180226_18_49_48_Pro.jpg

Entry Q was misfiled. Sorry!

Entry Q said:
Entry Q

This design for Rey’s replacement lightsaber hilt is based on parts found and acquired by her from various sources and items she had on-hand. A portion of the hilt's electronics are parts from a modified compressor that she removed from the Millennium Falcon when the hyperdrive became unstable. The only portion of the hilt Rey had to fabricate was the crystal housing and the lower grip. The other parts came from speeder propulsion system components as well as some construction droid and imperial destroyer comms systems pieces.

Actual parts this hilt is constructed from:

The emitter assembly is a motor to gearbox coupling with a radiation detector probe in the center.
The upper hand grip is an industrial pressure transmitter.
The center part of the hilt is machined from PVC and is slip-fit over the pressure transmitter.
The electronics is a card slot with guides machined from PVC. The board is from an old industrial thermostat control unit and the brass tube from the local electronics junk (treasure) store. The activation button is from a digital camera shutter button.
The lower grip is machined from aluminum then wrapped in faux leather.
The pommel is a retainer for dumbbell weights.

q IMG_4796.JPGq IMG_4795.JPGq IMG_4794.JPG

Last edited:

Do we know how many there are? Are more coming? Awesome work! Interesting to see over-lapping conceits.

Do we send you our vote, or we going to add a poll?

nice work guys, some are really amazingly creative :thumbsup
there is even one with an emiter made of I believe a vintage finelix flash, never seen one before, very hard to use. I have a finelix and didn't know what to do with it. :)

Drew posted letters to identify each saber. To keep it simple, we will just pick a letter.
1 vote per member.

If anyone knows how to post a voting poll, you are more than welcome. I have no idea how to do it . Otherwise we can just post with a letter choice for our votes. I think everyone was happy with 2 weeks to give enough time.

Great work Drew! You went above and beyond to say the least!

Everyone did a great job on the sabers! Well thought out. I'm proud to be a part of this number :thumbsup :cheers

Very nice submissions, some very creative work by some very talented builders, so how does the voting happen as Seth questioned
Nice work Drew
many thanks

Re: Rey's Saber contest Voting page. Photos are now up

Great work to all the contestants! You can definitely tell a lot of thought and work went into creating these entries!

Re: Rey's Saber contest Voting page. Photos are now up

My vote is for entry "E" as it just screams Rey to me. I like the Graflex and staff inspired designs but I feel like "E" just seems the most complete and fitting for the character without rehashing a previous design. That being said, these are great builds by everyone who submitted a design!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back