Altered Carbon Cerebral Stack LED assistance

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I ordered a set of Altered Carbon Cerebral Stack halves on Shapeways. I am getting them in an ultra frosted clear plastic. (My thanks to the people posting on this RPF thread who inspired this little build of mine, and to BrotherWilliam for his Shapeways help.)

I'd like to add light to it but I am terrible with designing my own electronics.

If I just want a simple flickering blue candle effect can I just use 1 or more flickering blue LED bulbs like these on ebay, an appropriate resistor, a small battery and some kind of tiny switch?

Other than masking the inside and making it so I can open it up to replace batteries should I do anything else?

25553946887_f70af91178_b.jpg

How many are you looking to use? That will affect what your voltage requirements will be. It will also depend on how you want to wire your circuit.

Assuming I can fit it all in there, if I use 2 each 3mm blue flicker LEDs,

* 10,000 mCd,
* 3V forward voltage,
* 20mA
* with a 3v coin battery

I would not need a resistor right? the voltage is a bit low but it's not like I'll be running it 24/7.

Assuming I can fit it all in there, if I use 2 each 3mm blue flicker LEDs,

* 10,000 mCd,
* 3V forward voltage,
* 20mA
* with a 3v coin battery

I would not need a resistor right? the voltage is a bit low but it's not like I'll be running it 24/7.

So 4 total off of a single battery, is that right?

So using those 2 each 3mm blue flicker LEDs,

* 10,000 mCd,
* 3V forward voltage,
* 20mA
* with a 3v coin battery

This is basically the drawing, minus a switch? (did I get the battery polarity backwards? I will watch out for that when I bread board it.

39548802525_395e0062ae_z.jpg

It they are truly vF3.0v.. and not 3.4v.. they should work.

Try them out 'as-is'....

then try them with a resistor.. to limit them to maybe 5-10mA see if you are ok with that brightness.. (most time it wont be noticable)..

That will allow for longer battery life.. which I dont think is very much using a coin cell..

does it matter that they will flicker independently?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back