Iden Versio, cheap and hopefully chearful build for my daughter

royke gahil

So just thought i would share this with you all, i know its nothing like the quality level that you are all used to but I only make things for my kids. one day i may actually make something fairly accurate.

So anyway, ive gone a little wrong where the front joins the sides but i will try my best to get that fixed. Once this stormtrooper base is done i will start on the tie pilot part.

GYPP5288.JPGLDJQ3117.JPGPCEF6143.JPGRSAO1133.JPG

Any advice, help or criticism appreciated.

thanks for looking.

Thanks for the comments but the credit really should go to whoever made the file. It’s a shame I didn’t start with a better quality card. But will try my best to tidy things up once the 2 parts are together. Yeah I would love to finish this as a stormtrooper but I’ve got a schedule to work to so I need to move things along. It’s definitely hard to look ok at in its current colour scheme!

Thanks for the comments but the credit really should go to whoever made the file. It’s a shame I didn’t start with a better quality card. But will try my best to tidy things up once the 2 parts are together. Yeah I would love to finish this as a stormtrooper but I’ve got a schedule to work to so I need to move things along. It’s definitely hard to look ok at in its current colour scheme! 

Which pep file did you go with?

Well heres an update to where im at. I now need to cut the original stormtrooper parts to fit the xwing parts properly, its squeaky bum time!!!! will update again next week hopefully if all goes ok.

29258326_10156229597108485_5316738095868018688_n.jpg29257536_10156229594933485_2436950394912374784_n.jpg29244478_10156229587623485_9129564152904286208_n.jpg

Another update, so ive given it a layer of primer so i can set whats going on a lot better. I now have a dremel which i have started to sort them high spots out. my plan is to not cover the whole thing with filler or whatever i use to smooth, only the parts to sort the shape out, so when im done card will be the top layer apart from the smoothed parts. is there anything i can do to strengthen the outside without have to coat and sand down the whole thing with filler? im on a time limit so could do with quick options. i will do the inside with something to make it stronger too. its held together by hot glue, so needs a bit of reinforcing. any advice with this will be really appreciated.

IMG_8280.JPGIMG_8281.JPG

I would paint the interior with “rondo” which half and half of bondo filler and poliesther resin. Poliesther resin is normally used with fiberglass but hence the time frame, the bondo particles give the resin enough body.
Normally the rondo is is used when Roto-casting, or when you have a helmet/ mask that is already hard enough you can pour it and rotate the piece to let the slush cover and keep rotating it until it sets. The problem is this generates a lot of heat, and heat tends to warp and deform things unless you have a strong mold.
But you used hot glue, so it will most likely warp if you pour in the rondo.
So instead, make small batches and hand paint it with rondo. Rondo cures in about 2-5 min so you have to work fast. Use multiple polypropylene cups (like yoghurt or cream) and use small batches, if the cup still has rondo and begins to harden, leave it aside and use another one. To clean it, let it harden and cure, and remove afterwards, it cracks and pops out easier .
Don’t use plastic cups (red or clear) they will melt and stick to the rondo.
Use 1cent super cheap brushes. You will use a ton, once the rondo hardens they are gone.
Do 3 to 5 layers. The first layer will feel a lot better, but it will be too fragile. You can paint the exterior as well.
Keep up the good work!!!

Well the further I got with this the more inaccurate it became, I was hoping it would be a very clean build that I could then use what I had learned for my shore trooper build i plan to do next. Well heres where i am now. My daughter will be happy with it. My next build well not have a time scale as i have had to rush and also use items that arent accurate.

IMG_8313.JPGIMG_8312.JPG

On the outside i just used the no nails as best i could to smooth things(if i had more time it would have been smoother than a babys bum), on the inside just caulking over the hot glue and fingers crossed it will hold up for whats needed. heres a few shots of the helmet, outside is done. IMG_8367.JPGIMG_8366.JPGIMG_8369.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back