Duncan Jones' Mute (Post-release)

What did you think of Mute?

• It was okay. Not too pleased with it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Duncan Jones' Mute

ManMadeMoon: So some of you may be aware that I have previously called Mute my “Don Quixote.” I did this, as much like Terry Gillian’s fabled film of that name, it seemed everything was against Mute ever being made. In fact, here’s an early draft... from 2003!

DT6i6axVoAAQ1fQ.jpg

ManMadeMoon: Back then the film was a very different beast. It was set in London, contemporary and the cast would have been Cary Grant, Boris Karloff & Bela Lugosi. Ok. Maybe not that cast...

ManMadeMoon: It was going to be my first film. I sent it to Sam Rockwell who loved it!
...but he wanted to play Leo, the part that would later go to Alex Skarsgård. I wouldn’t budge but was so enamoured with Sam, I decided to write something just for him. That was Moon.

DT6lI6VU0AAOVx5.jpg

ManMadeMoon: Years past, Mute kept being pushed to the back burner. Life filled up with Source Code, my amazing wife’s successful battle with cancer, Warcraft, dad’s cancer, baby, the wonderful woman who raised me, Marion’s sad loss to brain cancer. We’d do a graphic novel with @ FabryGlenn

DT6m4WYU8AAhg8S.jpg

ManMadeMoon: But sadly that book never fully came to fruition.

But one day...

@ netflix came to town!

ManMadeMoon: Netflix, these crazy new kids on the block, had this totally crazy philosophy on film making straight out of the 70s. Don’t make 4 quad “please everyone” homogenous blobs! Make films fimmakers are passionate about & let the audience find them!

DT6n1-cU0AER8t2.jpg

https://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/954385565402591232
ManMadeMoon: So here we are.

@ mute. Starring Alex Skarsgård, Justin Theroux & Paul Rudd.

Out on Netflix February 23.

Got there in the end!

8ahNvBT.gif

Last edited:

Few seconds of Mute trailer footage from the Netflix February promo video.

Starts at the 2:05 mark. (Some non-US viewers might have to watch it using proxy on your browser)

Last edited by a moderator:

39924573171_998e65b1ee_o.jpg

27067238_1682373818513884_5751737813447249377_n.png

Social media pages updated with the above images. Guess we can expect the trailer anytime soon.

What with the Bluray UK release of "Blade Runner : 2049" due soon, "Altered Carbon" this weekend and now "Mute" its going to be a proper cyberpunk retrospective month this February. And at the end of March we have "Ready Player One". All we need now is for Max Headroom to make a reappearance and the "80s" will really have made a comeback.

What with the Bluray UK release of "Blade Runner : 2049" due soon, "Altered Carbon" this weekend and now "Mute" its going to be a proper cyberpunk retrospective month this February. And at the end of March we have "Ready Player One". All we need now is for Max Headroom to make a reappearance and the "80s" will really have made a comeback.

It's been a good couple of years for Cyberpunk. New Deus Ex game, the Ghost in the Shell live action movie, Blade Runner 2049, Mute, Altered Carbon and I'm sure there some other stuff I'm missing. I just wish they'd bring Almost Human back. Whether you like all of those or not, at least the genre appears to be rising in popularity.

It's been a good couple of years for Cyberpunk. New Deus Ex game, the Ghost in the Shell live action movie, Blade Runner 2049, Mute, Altered Carbon and I'm sure there some other stuff I'm missing. I just wish they'd bring Almost Human back. Whether you like all of those or not, at least the genre appears to be rising in popularity.

I'm just hoping Tim Miller actually does something with that great granddaddy of cyberpunk "Neuromancer." Its been rather quiet so far.

Now that there is Netflix where original and risk taking content is being made. There is no excuse now for more accurate adaptations of cyberpunk like Neuromancer.
Its been used as a reference for goodness knows how many movies, so would like to see a proper adaptation, no cutting corners or changes.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just hoping Tim Miller actually does something with that great granddaddy of cyberpunk "Neuromancer." Its been rather quiet so far.

He's doing Terminator 3 with Jim Cameron first. I like the fact they are ignoring everything else and doing a proper continuation.
Tim Miller has great visual flair, he can pull it off no problem.

ManMadeMoon: Rumors going around (my head) that there will be a big screen screening of Mute somewhere in LA on the 22nd with a VERY special Q to my A. More to come...

I'm so excited for a Friday night in to check out this movie; never thought it would be released. As much as I loved Blade Runner 2049, I feared it may cause Mute to get swept aside.

I liked "Moon".

This?

Not so much. Not so much at all.

It was basically a weak prime time domestic soap script dressesd up to look like something from the "Bladerunner"universe.

Not only was it deeply uncomfortable to watch at times, given some of the unpleasant themes explored but its been done so often now it was hard to maintain any interest in it, particularly after something as recent and dynamic as "Altered Carbon". That made the pacing here seem so ponderous that the story felt near glacial incomparisson and it ended up almost totally dead in the water at the finish.

The entire tone of the movie just felt horribly inconsistent, from the banal script that was so contrived to the very end ,and that bloody awful film soundtrack. I guess it didn't help that I have been listening to BR:2049 all week.

It was hard to feel anything but a huge disappointment in it after such a promising start like "Moon". Even the characters seemed badly miscast, particularly Paul Rudds "Cactus". On "the run" from the police in a huge American flag painted 4x4???? And "Amish" choosing to live in a city like Berlin???????????? I just couldn't square anything away about it .

After Bladerunner; 2049 the material felt so weak that its utterly forgettable and to be honest ,I rather wish I could. The nods to "Moon" peppered throughout it were nice to see, but the rest of the movie ,like I said before ,very not so much.

I'm fast concluding that if its been dumped straight to the Flix its going to be disappointing.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back