Alex Garland’s Annihilation (Post-release)

What did you think of Annihilation?

• Total voters

Vivek

Master Member
Re: Alex Garland’s Annihilation

Why Annihilation going straight to Netflix matters | Den of Geek

Bummed out when I recently found out that Annihilation won't get a theatrical release outside of US, Candada and China. Director Alex Garland is from the UK and the movie won't have a theatrical release there either.

Annihilation: Alex Garland on the battle between producers | Den of Geek

Apparently the movie was "too intellectual" and "too complicated" for producer David Ellison (CEO of Skydance Media). Damn I wish producer Megan Ellison of Annapurna Pictures had made this instead.

God damnit, I was actually intending to go see this. That is possibly the lamest reason ever not to distribute.

I'm really pissed about this, I've been eagerly awaiting this movie since it was announced. Can only hold onto the faint hope that Netflix will see fit to do a limited release over here at some point.

WTH? I just read of Duncan Jones’ MUTE going to Netflix, now this? Is this foretelling the doom of the steadily declining movie theater experience, that producers/distributors will just sell a movie to a streaming service because they don’t want to gamble on a theatrical release?

I’m actually not disappointed, I thought EX MACHINA was dopey (just very, very well made) so I’m happier to chance a viewing online like that bomb Cloverfield Paradog.

Just watched the movie yesterday, I thought it was fantastic personally, dont see why this isnt doing great at the box office. I hope we get more cerebal sci-fi like this in the future.

WTH? I just read of Duncan Jones’ MUTE going to Netflix, now this? Is this foretelling the doom of the steadily declining movie theater experience, that producers/distributors will just sell a movie to a streaming service because they don’t want to gamble on a theatrical release?

I’m actually not disappointed, I thought EX MACHINA was dopey (just very, very well made) so I’m happier to chance a viewing online like that bomb Cloverfield Paradog.

What does this have have to do with this thread about Annihilation?

Or is this going to Netflix in countries other than the US?

***EDIT***
I missed the link above where it says it's going to Netflix in places that aren't getting a theatrical release. My apologies!

I read an interesting article the other day that mentioned that Netflix/Hulu/Whatever are the new homes of movies that used to be Direct to VHS/DVD type releases. Studios can make a tiny bit of profit without spending their own money to promote a film that they feel won't do well at the box office.

From what hat I understand "The Cloverfield Paradox" sold to Netflix for roughly what the studio had invested into it, so they broke even instead of losing money by distributing and promoting what likely wouldn't have made a good box office showing. Netflix ended up getting to tout themselves as being the only place you could see an original movie that's part of a somewhat successful franchise. It essentially was win-win for both parties.

It'll be interesting to see going forward what other releases this ends up happening with.

Last edited:
The GF and I saw this the other night and man. Maybe I didnt "get it" but I was bored out of my mind. The best part to me was the bear scene, other than that, I just couldnt get into it. There wasnt enough science for the fiction part, so many plot holes, and nothing happened for so long. I get the self destruct aspect it was portraying, but when Lita or Lina, whatever her name was, cheated on her husband, took me right out of it. I didnt care for her anymore, because to me cheating is deplorable, and I was hoping she was going to bite it. I dunno, maybe the books are better or something but for me it was a total snoozefest. The theater was packed too, and everyone walking out was like "dude I almost fell asleep" and "man that was boring, I couldnt wait for it to end". I wish I would have waited for it to come out on Netflix.

I really liked Director Alex Garland's first movie Ex Machina - it's slow paced worked for it and paid off in the end. Annihilation started off similarly, but couldn't get out of its own way.

At a certain point - I just gave up on the characters. There was nothing there that tied them together, nothing that made them compelling for me or made me care for them or their plight. The attempts to to try to add a bit to Portman's character just fell flat for me. It's a shame, because there are some great actors there that just didn't have the characterization or script to make it work for them.

I like science fiction and this could have been great science fiction firmly rooted in a little bit science fact (with the needed wiggle room). Instead we get a slow build with no real payoff and more questions and answers. In the end those questions that we are left with are just questions that I really didn't care about.

The effects are well done and the movie looks great. But, that couldn't save what just became a mess to me. I hope Garland can rebound with his next movie.

Rented this last night. Dug the heck out of it.
Could have done without the flashback scenes - they didn't add anything to the story or make me care about the characters any more.
Outside of the unnecessary flashbacks I thought the pacing was perfect.
Cool movie.

Thought it was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen. Just boring with a paper thin spotty plot and it felt like the writers didn't have any idea what to do in the 3rd act.

Interesting to see this topic was bumped the very day I finished reading the book...
I saw the movie on the day it came out, and thought it was brilliant. Lots of little themes that makes your brain spin without serving everything on a plate portioned out. I like slow and drawn out films if they go somewhere and I do feel it did. Great atmosphere and twists with some really good tense moments. Tons of Lovecraft but in a modern and slick way that I can very much enjoy unlike a modern and slick War of the Worlds doesn’t work for me. Downside for me were some performances. I still don’t consider Natalie Portman a capable actress but she was kinda passable. Jennifer Jason Leigh was just...odd? I don’t know she was really weird almost like she was playing a parody just not sure of what.
I think it’s good that I saw the movie first and then read the book. They’re so bloody different that I can’t even get a good enough parallel. Even the Shining felt closer to the book than this and I probably would have been disappointed about how losely it was adapted. They’re two completely different beasts especially that the book is part of a trilogy with secrets etc unfolding and the film is a self-contained thing that asks questions instead.

Hi all. I record this movie last week on my DVR and the ending got cut off. The last thing I saw was Natalie Portman and the iridescent being doing that mirror trick. So what happens after that?

Hi all. I record this movie last week on my DVR and the ending got cut off. The last thing I saw was Natalie Portman and the iridescent being doing that mirror trick. So what happens after that?

Spoilers just in case someone kicks off.

Portman's character tricks the mirror being into setting off a phosphorus grenade in its hands, which leads to a fire in the lighthouse consuming everything. Portman escapes the fire and the shimmer disappears.

It then cuts to the debriefing. Portman's character reunites with her husband, who has recovered rapidly since the shimmer left. She asks him if he is her real husband. He replies he doesn't think so. He asks her if she's real. She doesn't respond, but her irises shift in colour as they embrace, leaving it ambiguous to if she's a copy, or just mutated from the effects of being in the shimmer. (I think the latter)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back