Sorcerers Stone WIP

Re: My sorcerers stone..

FINALLY got a little bit of time off of work only home for about an hour till I have to go back :( .. anyways I got the silicone poured into the mold. For this one I'm using Mold Max 30, which is the same stuff I used to mold my r2 holoprojectors, Cross of Coronado parts, and my watto cubes..
uEoHt2H.jpg

Love your work and dedication on this. Can’t wait to see the finished stone, and whether you’ll be selling casts of the finished product. I have a piece of quartz that is kinda close to the prop and I had considered quench crackling it to dye it red.

Love your work and dedication on this. Can’t wait to see the finished stone, and whether you’ll be selling casts of the finished product. I have a piece of quartz that is kinda close to the prop and I had considered quench crackling it to dye it red.

Thanks for the comment! Got home about 30 minutes ago actually.. couldn't wait to bust this sucker open! My master came out just fine and the mold interior looks amazing! For now, I've cleaned the mold up, and powdered the inside. Dumped some colored epoxy resin in for a quick test cast just to see what I am dealing with here, and will probably get a chance to remove that from the mold on Tuesday night. This project has definitely been time consuming considering I started from nothing back in December, but has definitely been worth the wait.

Here's a picture of the mold with the colored epoxy I dumped into it a few minutes ago:
9to0dql.jpg

Not going to be bubble free, but that's okay because it's just a test cast :$

Pulled my first test cast today and it came out awfully nice for a first pull.. once again not bubble free, but that's the point of a test cast is to TEST so you know what needs to be fixed in future casts ;). It's obviously too opaque as well but that should be fixed when a different clear resin is used for the actual run of stones..
DopNd5U.jpg

geG7s5W.jpg

rSuUySi.jpg

Note that I have NOT added the white chipping effect to the stone at all yet.. that will be done later :$

should come out pretty good with some clear dyed resin.
you'll have to make some kind of vacuum chamber to get the bubbles out so its super clear.
:)

I'll be honest, that came out a LOT better than I thought it would. Curious to see what it will look like with the white bit added but looks great as is!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I'll be honest, that came out a LOT better than I thought it would. Curious to see what it will look like with the white bit added but looks great as is!

Thank you! :$. Found afew different way to add the white "creeping-frost" (that's right.. I just named it ;)) look to the stones outside, and I still need to find some time to experiment with it. Once I get the time on my hands I'll be able to post pics!

So after 3-4 different trials over doing the weathering, I think i found the best way to add the "creeping-frost" to the stone in layers at a time..
Slowly but surely building it up..
xkY56JL.jpg

Beautiful work so far. I love seeing how this is coming along. Any updates?

Thanks! Not too much as far as updates go.. mostly just adding the "creeping-frost" in layers to build up the desired thickness :$ will try to get more work done and additional pics up soon!

Can't really tell in that picture... What did you decide to go with for the "creeping frost"? Are you just building up spray frost?

Can't really tell in that picture... What did you decide to go with for the "creeping frost"? Are you just building up spray frost?

It is a craft sand I found at hobby lobby. It's white sand with minerals to simulate the chips of minerals in the stone :$. Just ruffed up those parts of the stone with my Dremel, layed in some super glue and tossed the stone in the bucket of sand and rolled it around for a bit, removed it from the bucket and then brushed it off with a chip brush :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back