"The Orville" uniform

Shipbrook

As a fan of "The Orville", I decided I'd like to make one of the uniforms. Here are a couple of cheesy photoshops onto the sets, and a closeup of the jacket with its accessories.

f3Ysv14.jpgENIF0Xv.pngnpSTEfu.jpg

I've got an album up on Imgur detailing the process of making it, including links to the various fabrics.

(Would have tagged the post with "The Orville", but I don't have permission to create tags.)

Man, that's fantastic!!!

There are a few good models for the blaster used on the show available online. Unfortunately, none of them are on Thingiverse. I had to pay a few bucks to get the one that I've been working on, but I think it was worth it. I'm sure you could model something yourself, though.

A seriously underrated show and an even more amazing cosplay! You did a way better job than I thought possible given the lack of sufficient subject matter. P.S. - I hear the show is delayed...? Also this somehow turns out to be a better show, even as a comedy/paraody than Star Trek Discovery is as a serious show.

Wow, it is my greatest regret that I can't sew to save my life, the jacket construction is amazing to me. As for your photoshop skills not too bad, although in the bridge shot you appear to be about 9 foot tall. BTW I love the Orville, by the end of the season they found their balance between Sci-fi and jokes.

Thanks! I do plan on modeling the blaster, as well as the communicator/scanner and perhaps Dr. Finn's instruments. Like most props I model, I'll throw them up on Thingiverse once I've got a painted version to use as the cover image.

I saw your profile on Thingiverse and followed it. I can't wait to see the other props.

The files for all the pieces are available for free on my Thingiverse page. If you have a 3D printer, or access to one (library, school, Makerspace, a friend with one, etc.), you can print your own; or there are paid services like Shapeways that will print them for you.

Meant to ask before: what's your opinion of the ones at Oasis Costume? To me they look good, but I'd like more opinions.

Meant to ask before: what's your opinion of the ones at Oasis Costume? To me they look good, but I'd like more opinions.

My biggest beef with it is the blue and grey fabrics, which are fairly plain compared to the ones used on the show. (But I guess you're going to have that when the costume designer has the fabric custom-made, and it's undoubtedly not cost-effective to try to clone custom fabrics for relatively inexpensive mass-market reproductions.)

The other issue with the fabric is weight; from pictures I've seen of people wearing these costumes at cons, they're made of a lighter-weight fabric than the show's (and I'm not sure if the jacket has a lining). These things will make it hang and move differently from the show's, which may or may not be a concern for you.

Construction-wise, it looks fairly well put together (assuming the photos are representative of the product you actually receive). The blue sections look slightly wider than the ones on Mercer's uniform, with the curves leading to the sleeves a bit shallower.

But it's recognizable as a Planetary Union uniform, at least to those familiar with the show, which is the important thing.

Great work. I recently watched through the first season and got the itch myself to make a uniform. looking forward to using your album. Thanks

Two questions: 1. What type of shirt is worn under the uniform jacket. 2. Where can you purchase an authentic looking brest patch for the jacket. The ones I have seen being sold look like garbage. Cheap sew on trash.
71XbbK5aXdL._UX679_.jpg

1. It's a plain black V-neck t-shirt, but the collar has been covered with a micromesh in the division color (I used this one for Command blue).

2. I haven't looked for any being sold, but if you have access to a 3D printer (your own, a friend's, public library, Makerspace, etc.) or use a 3D printing service like Shapeways, I've put up all the division badges on Thingiverse here. The paint scheme for season 2 is different, but the geometry's the same.

I've also put up models for rank epaulets (ensign through commander) and the sleeve comm device.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back