Star Trek Discovery Phaser toy by McFarlane shown at Toyfair

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Good coverage here by Trekcore:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/02/to...rk-picard-figures-star-trek-discovery-phaser/

My handy album of screencaps:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/karltate/albums/72157663852294957/with/26479096288/

Screenshot-2018-02-18-21.25.04(2).jpgroll-thumbwheel-to-raise-sight.jpgScreenshot-2018-02-18-21.22.34(2).jpgScreenshot-2018-02-18-21.22.53(4).jpgsize-comparison.jpgScreenshot-2018-02-18-21.38.38(4).jpgScreenshot-2018-02-18-21.22.45.jpgmissing-safety-on-right-side.jpgScreenshot-2018-02-18-21.22.30(3).jpgScreenshot-2018-02-18-21.22.37.jpg

Attachments

• stun-light-on.jpg
    stun-light-on.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 763
Wow that looks better than I thought it would, it's 1 to 1 scale. My biggest pet peeve is the screw holes, but in the the past McFarlane has filled the holes with rubber pugs. $35 dollars is a steal compared to the $500 dollar version. I may buy two.

Definitely seems like a good base to work off of. And more fully featured than the expensive one too.

I think it looks great and I'm hoping that since they were showing what looked like an unpainted prototype that the final versions will at least have the screw holes plugged up. It looks like it has everything I expected at of the other one for less than a tenth of the price. I can't wait.

Let's hope this is just that start of a vast new "Trek Tek" line.

DST sold out of every item they ever produced for that and yet somehow it still took them years to bring each item to market and they've seemingly just stopped all together.

Disappointed, I can spot a number of inaccuracies with this model as shown, hopefully they fix them before production

Looks accurate enough for me to display. Maybe a repaint and screw hole fill. I like the design of this phaser far more than the Nu movie phasers.

Disappointed, I can spot a number of inaccuracies with this model as shown, hopefully they fix them before production

I see:

1) missing P1 release and toggle lever on the right side of the P2 (At first glance they're present on the McF 3D model diagram, but that image is mirrored)
2) the bottom of the P1 is greatly simplified (and a bit of a mess, though understandably so in a toy)
3) the P1 emitter is circular instead of elliptical
4) the P2 grip safety could be a little better defined (and odd that it's the power pack release, but again, a toy)
5) Sound vents in the P1 sight (better there than elsewhere I suppose)

What else?

Overall I'm still impressed and I'd still buy several it in its current state... but certainly some of the above needs to be corrected (at least 1 and 3).

Just like the DST/AA TOS phaser, the p1 sight hood on the McFaser is disappointingly shallow... doesn't rise high enough. Missing the screen (has sound vent holes instead).

type1-06.jpgScreenshot-2018-02-18-21.22.19(3).jpg

Also, on the prop the "tenturn" tail light stays on constantly, on the toy it blinks and only when the trigger is pressed.

mirror-phaser-enh.jpg

Also the silver gadget above the grip on the left side (power pack release?), is mirrored on the right side (it should be missing, and have the safety lock triangle thingie on that side, instead).

Screenshot-2018-02-18-21.22.45.jpg27021225_10155084115107341_4990050981578612627_o.jpg27164529_10155084115322341_6686670395134064435_o.jpg

Last edited:
It is the 21st century not 1970, hopefully they cover the screw holes on the final product.

Since I haven't and probably won't watch this new Trek, I'll never know what the inaccuracies are but will buy the phaser.

You should give it a shot, it's actually a pretty good show and the mirror universe stuff was pure fan service

Is it 1 to 1? It looks smaller compared to the screen cap a couple of posts above.

If we want a mass produced toy price, I guess we have to accept some inaccuracies for producibility sake.

Is it 1 to 1? It looks smaller compared to the screen cap a couple of posts above.

If we want a mass produced toy price, I guess we have to accept some inaccuracies for producibility sake.

I'm actually surprised by the level of interactivity with this one for the price. ESPECIALLY compared to the Anovos.

McFarlane claims the phaser is 1:1 to the prop. It's hard to tell from photographs, but if these two guys' hands are roughly the same size, it looks about right.

size-comparison.jpg

For $35 I’ll be picking one up for sure!

Still waiting on that Diamond Select TNG cobra head phaser though... :(

Sean

They posted a few hours ago that it's "getting closer. Added some features" and that apart from light/sound "The phaser has additional functionality in the show that we wanted to have represented."

Pure speculation but it makes me hope for an overload sequence deactivated by an opening panel on the bottom - that's about as interactive as the phasers got on TNG.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211523489106776&set=p.10211523489106776&type=1&theater

IMHO that could be as simple as meaning that the bars on the power meter light up incrementally as you repeatedly press the power level button (originally it might have only lit up fully, or perhaps it was just a sticker or not present at all, which were also styles of prop we saw on the show.

VenFacCobra02.jpgVenFacCobra01.jpg

Gen-7thseas-PicardCobra.jpg

Just a reminder, this cobra phaser was announced by DST in Feb, 2015, 3 years ago.

diamond-select-106.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back