Star Trek Discovery Phaser toy by McFarlane shown at Toyfair

Thanks for the inadvertent pre-order warning.

Think the notice of "imitation firearm" is why the emitter has been photo-shopped red.

I have a bad feeling this is going to have an orange safety tip.
And what the,,,,, no phaser from BBTS for people in California, Connecticut, Kansas, and New York.

It is a space toy for the love of Pete.

Removed from thier site. Customer service said McFarlane cancelled their supply because they're based in New York and it's not legal to ship them replica firearms. (!)

That is a bunch of BS on McFarlane's part. I find it very interesting that they say they are not legal to ship them to New York but they brought some to New York for the Toy Show. If they are not legal to ship then they should not have been legal to carry across state lines.

What Stupid Crap! It is not a replica firearm!

It doesn't discharge anything.
It is a toy copy of science fiction ray gun.

Anyone who thinks this thing emulates a real firearm needs to be relieved of their duties.

Blind safety stupidity in this country has well exceeded common sense's point of elasticity.

Let’s hope the criminals don’t start painting the tips of there barrels orange, if they do all toy,replica and model weapons will be banned.

Let’s hope the criminals don’t start painting the tips of there barrels orange, if they do all toy,replica and model weapons will be banned.

This already happened a few years back. If you have something that resembles a gun regardless of color and point it at a cop you are going to get shot. That is why some states don't want any toy guns but the last time I was at Walmart they still sold airsoft guns so McFarlane is full of it.

MR was able to sell it's replicas as long as there was something orange on it.
(the ability to easily remove it was great)

Bright orange customs declaration forms were inserted for non-US customers, stating it was a fantasy toy.

Legal research by MR at the time showed that replica guns can't be sold w/i the 5 boroughs of NYC, not the entire state.
I remember something about Massachusetts, but can't recall much more.

What on Earth? The props didn't fire anything, it's a toy laser gun! If this comes with an orange tip I'm out, I won't buy this crap!

I was in my local K-Mart in Riverhead, New York yesterday and noticed they didn't have any problem selling pellet and bb guns without any orange markings. I know in New York City it is next to impossible to buy anything gun related, including toys, but the rest of the state really doesn't seem to have a problem with them. That being the case it would be extremely easy for them to stop purchases based on zip code instead of just the state. If this is going to have the orange tip and I have to get it from a 3rd party I don't think I'm going to even bother.

It won't surprise me to see some enterprising people offering to buy these for people in states where McFarlane won't ship to and others offering accurizing servies like they did with the AA/Diamond Select TOS Phaser, which by the way was sold in all 50 states and without an orange tip on it.

Last edited:
We are all making the mistake of trying to look at the situation logically and not as a bureaucrat.

Pellet and BB guns require no markings.

Airsoft, if legal in your area, is considered "a less than lethal weapon" and requires an orange tip.
Having been shot by both Airsoft and Paintball, calling airsoft a weapon is just moronic.

Toy guns and replicas, again if legal in your area, require an orange tip, at a minimum, or more colors than a box of fruity pebbles.

Cap gun? do they even make those? Metal toys that detonated powder by percussion, made smoke and went bang. Isn't that child endangerment?

None of this regulation makes anyone any safer.

Just simply point anything in a threatening manner and you run the risk of getting shot.

We are all making the mistake of trying to look at the situation logically and not as a bureaucrat.

Pellet and BB guns require no markings.

Airsoft, if legal in your area, is considered "a less than lethal weapon" and requires an orange tip.
Having been shot by both Airsoft and Paintball, calling airsoft a weapon is just moronic.

Toy guns and replicas, again if legal in your area, require an orange tip, at a minimum, or more colors than a box of fruity pebbles.

Cap gun? do they even make those? Metal toys that detonated powder by percussion, made smoke and went bang. Isn't that child endangerment?

None of this regulation makes anyone any safer.

Just simply point anything in a threatening manner and you run the risk of getting shot.

There ya go.

look like its not going to be made.

33432220_1979577789024539_6141668272522657792_o.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back