Plastidip -Not all plastidip is equal

Kestep434

I just wanted to share something I’ve learned about plastidip over the last year.

I have had both amazing results from plastidip as a sealer and complete disasters from it. On many occasions I have had plastidip spit out blobs that would make for a major eye soar on my foam builds. It baffled me that some would be fine and others not, just flat out not. Now I always soak my cans in warm water before use and make sure it is not too cold before apply. I was wracking my brain as to why some cans are great and others are not. This weekend I found the answer.

All the cans I purchased at our local Home Depot spray sputter out. No matter how warm or anything. The cans I purchased at Walmart give me a flat perfect spray every time. I know it comes down to storage techniques or something like that (maybe Home Depot exposes them to harsher elements causing clumping in the cans, I don’t know). All I do know if if you get plastidip that sprays blobs out no matter what you do try buying from another source. Now that I have figured this out my life will be way easier. I just wanted to share to maybe save some of you a headache..

Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

With sputter from Home Depot
https://ibb.co/jeoTRS

Finish from a normal can from Walmart.
https://ibb.co/bLmtt7

Welcome to the forum! Can Plastidip be used to finish off a 3D model, like spray on and sand down to smooth out the model?

I find the trick is to always clean the nozzle between each coat. The sputtering is usually caused by build up at the exit of the nozzle. Doing this, I have had Plastidip cans that last until their very last spray with no sputtering.

I finished off the inside of my TK helmet with Home Depot PlastiDip and didn’t have any issues.

E6BBB0BA-E697-438D-B4A5-E1E9C8DA36FA.jpeg

Sean

I’m not saying all Home Depot’s are like that. Just certainly the ones here are. I have sputtering from brand new cans from there. I was just posting in case you have a can that does it it may be because of where it was from.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back