DIY Darth Vader custom chestbox lights

jcgardea

Someone asked me for help on the chest box lights, and I was already planning on uploading my WIP so here is this tutorial.
While I was doing my research to make my lights I found there is no definitive sequence for the lights since access to the real props is very hard, actual footage or reference is not very clear.
So I did my own analisys of the ESB movie going frame by frame, and the results you can see on this video:ESB LIGHT BOX SEQUENCE REVISITED
The chestbox on film appear to have 2 separate lights per slot, which means more combinations thus more complex sequence, if any.* I considered 1 fully lit slot only since that’s what almost all vendors do. I believe only Space-In-Vader at Vaderbase.com has a box with 2 lights per slot and is amazing but not cheap*(not for me at least).*
After doing my own set of lights electronics I can say it may be more pratical to*buy from Fettronics or any other vendor, because if you never have soldered electronics it can be a little hard and time consuming, and after buying tools and materials ... the total cost just about matches buying a ready one and the only savings are taxes and shipping. But the advantage is that you get to code your own custom sequences and the satisfaction of self-made lights.
What you will need is as follows:

Materials:
1 Arduino controller board. ( Adafruit Trinket or Trinket Pro.)
1 small rocker switch.
1 small push button
1 yard of red cable 24 or 26 ga.
1 yard of black cable 24 or 26 ga.
1/8", 1/4", 1/2" heat shrink tubing
1 9v battery. (a rechargable Lithium battery can be used as well , see Trinket documentation)
9 red high*luminosity leds
1 diffused red led (optional)
1 diffused blue led (optional)
3 resistors *60ohm (to be confirmed)
Solder and solder paste
(If you’re anything like me, buy x2 in case you screw up..)

Tools:
Soldering Iron for Electronics (static free)
Cable Snips
Helping hands
Rotary tool (Dremel or such)

So what I used is a little controller board from AdaFruit electronics called*Trinket which is arduino programable and ready to use, and is quite cheap (around $7 dlls). There is also a Trinket Pro which has more features, if you already know your way around electronics and arduino coding, give it a go perhaps you can integrate sound as well. (perhaps the respirator sound ... maybe?). You can find more about it here:Adafruit Trinket
One thing about the Trinket is it has only 3 analog pins that can be used with*PWM (Pulse With Modulation), which means they fade the light slowly on the leds. Those pins are numers 0, 1, 4. (*note:Trinket Pro has x2*PWM pins).
So those pins ; 0, 1, 4, will be the pins used for the slot lights.
Pin 3 will be the momentary push button to switch between sequences.
Pin 2 is optional for accesory lights, I use them to light up the blue and red acrylics slightly.
Pin BAT is for power or battery.
Pin Gnd is for Grounding the circuit.

And so, the diagram of the lights looks like this:
cabd6369f3a80b08f13d95cda10ca507.jpg

Now the slot leds I grouped them with the help of a pin board, and cut it with a rotary tool so to fix the resistor and have the leds evenly spaced. And because of all the grounding are* to be connected in order to close the circuit, I used a pin board again to connect them all together to try to keep the cables tidy. I tried to use as much shrink wrap as possible to protect the solders*and avoid the cables from breaking. I tell you more than 1 cable broke on me while soldering the others.

And this is what the completed lights rig looks like.
e1cf311a69825e114ae764b94423b6db.jpg
e3b8c06b94540932af0f385d38ea6c9a.jpg

Now on to the sequence... The first sequence I defined is the "ESB Idle sequence" ; small pause between 6 and 7, and full pause in steps 8 and 10.
46f633b0f56857d95eb2ccece150c642.jpg

The second sequence I used is the "ESB Active sequence" ; with small pauses between 4 and 5, 6, and 7, 8 and 9, and full pause in steps 12 and 14.
296fe33a9d526467b776c149a5189ef2.jpg

Just for reference below are Fettronics and Anovos sequences.
e1bc9f3789e86cacefb029999ce351c2.jpg
9d8916c2360d0c128b79ec0930bff088.jpg

Now to get the coding into the controller board, you will have to install the Arduino software, and download the Trinket software and Trinket firmware, connect the Trinket to your computer with a USB cable and upload the sketch (or code). Check the Trinket documentation for further indications on how to do so. Just download the sketch file, upload to the trinket and give it a run. Then you can customize it as you see fit.

*Note: I order to switch between sequences the pusht button must remain pressed thru the end of each cycle, so that the Trinket can read the button has been pushed. This is because I coded using the 'delay' command which does not allow the card to have any input until the delay command has finished. A more versatile way to code it is using 'time' commands which would allow the Trinket to read that the button is pressed at any time and switch sequences, but I found out about it after I was done and my programming abilities are not there yet.

Here is the arduino file:ESB_fade_w-button_rev1.1.ino
So here's a little demo of how my light setup is at the time.DIY Vader chestbox lights demo
Cheers!,

Last edited:
Hello again,
Well, I’m updating my chest box and I 3D printed my own modeled greeblies, but now i have a question, how do I get rid of the printed texture and stepping? This pieces are quite small, and I don’t know what would would work. Filler primer? , spot putty?, poliesther resin? Bondo?, Rondo? Guidance for tiny pieces needed.
3241e19c9e3a1005a944cf5fed399bb6.jpg
9b5eaac8fc26266dccb88f1f6d958760.jpg
f051292bed88ad401be2f0244bacae43.jpg
f333d58f3f4b7d92c101c32a69a29f46.jpg

3463eacccc67ce21ed14b66b14500ce1.jpg
9aea5d5bebed7bfab90f2a02cb33be40.jpg

Hi! Yes, you have to sand the pieces, then apply putty/bondo and sand them again. Primer and paint. Be patience... is not a one-day project. Good luck!

Where did you find the little boards you mounted the LEDs to? Them are sweet! I made this for my kids Vader costume and it worked amazing inside the Hasbro chest box.

Thanks so much for uploading this. I've made up the circuit as above and plugged in my trinket and uploaded the sketch, but the red led lights are not working at all. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_2858.jpg
    IMG_2858.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Help! Thanks so much for uploading this. I've made up the circuit as above and plugged in my trinket and uploaded the sketch, but the red led lights are not working at all. Any ideas?

Are you sure you soldered the red lights to pins 0, 1, and 4?
Make sure you downloaded the correct drivers to upload/flash.
Check the neutral for fault connections. Inverting polarity on the battery , maybe?

Help! Thanks so much for uploading this. I've made up the circuit as above and plugged in my trinket and uploaded the sketch, but the red led lights are not working at all. Any ideas?
Did you solve the problem?
Because I think I'm with the same hahaha, only blue is on :B

Aw yes, those are in paralel basically.
If your red coinslots still don’t lightup correctly, make you are using the correct arduino sketch for the Adafruit Trinket. Adafruit updates their boards and products continuosly, so there may be a point where this tutorial might get a little obsolete. But the principle will always be the same.

Aw yes, those are in paralel basically.
If your red coinslots still don’t lightup correctly, make you are using the correct arduino sketch for the Adafruit Trinket. Adafruit updates their boards and products continuosly, so there may be a point where this tutorial might get a little obsolete. But the principle will always be the same.
Thanks for posting this though, it was a massive help. My chestbox looks awesome with this light sequence. It was just my oversight there with the soldering :rolleyes:

I would like to sincerely thank the OP jcgardea for posting this information. You have no idea how much this means. I have been searching everywhere for an easy way to do this. I custom built my own, using 555 and 4027 chips into a pseudo random, but its a mess and im not happy with it, although it did if im honest look great, it broke as the wiring is stupid complex and too many solder joints, its not accurate etc...

So this is going to be massive, massively helpful.

Where did you get the print files for the 3D greebles etc. Im considering 3d printing a new box complete, as mine is custom made with separate parts all cast from resin....

Hello again,
Well, I’m updating my chest box and I 3D printed my own modeled greeblies, but now i have a question, how do I get rid of the printed texture and stepping? This pieces are quite small, and I don’t know what would would work. Filler primer? , spot putty?, poliesther resin? Bondo?, Rondo? Guidance for tiny pieces needed.
3241e19c9e3a1005a944cf5fed399bb6.jpg
9b5eaac8fc26266dccb88f1f6d958760.jpg
f051292bed88ad401be2f0244bacae43.jpg
f333d58f3f4b7d92c101c32a69a29f46.jpg

3463eacccc67ce21ed14b66b14500ce1.jpg
9aea5d5bebed7bfab90f2a02cb33be40.jpg
These are awesome
I lost a greebly for my chest box , does any one seek these? Is there a file to 3D print s replacement ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
I attached photo of the one I lost circled in yellow
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 65871AF5-10B4-4790-9088-6C89731A9CE8.jpeg
    65871AF5-10B4-4790-9088-6C89731A9CE8.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 240
I would like to sincerely thank the OP jcgardea for posting this information. You have no idea how much this means. I have been searching everywhere for an easy way to do this. I custom built my own, using 555 and 4027 chips into a pseudo random, but its a mess and im not happy with it, although it did if im honest look great, it broke as the wiring is stupid complex and too many solder joints, its not accurate etc...

So this is going to be massive, massively helpful.

Where did you get the print files for the 3D greebles etc. Im considering 3d printing a new box complete, as mine is custom made with separate parts all cast from resin....

Thank you xiion. I modeled them myself after seeing as much as reference photos I could find and comparing them to the other boxes from different sellers. Some of the greeblies seemed at little “off” to me, thats why I modeled my own. I uploaded them to shapeways:

Frankly, for the boxes I found 3D printing still quite expensive where I live, so I made them out of wood. But the greeblies are definitely worth it.

Someone asked me for help on the chest box lights, and I was already planning on uploading my WIP so here is this tutorial.
While I was doing my research to make my lights I found there is no definitive sequence for the lights since access to the real props is very hard, actual footage or reference is not very clear.
So I did my own analisys of the ESB movie going frame by frame, and the results you can see on this video:ESB LIGHT BOX SEQUENCE REVISITED
The chestbox on film appear to have 2 separate lights per slot, which means more combinations thus more complex sequence, if any.* I considered 1 fully lit slot only since that’s what almost all vendors do. I believe only Space-In-Vader at Vaderbase.com has a box with 2 lights per slot and is amazing but not cheap*(not for me at least).*
After doing my own set of lights electronics I can say it may be more pratical to*buy from Fettronics or any other vendor, because if you never have soldered electronics it can be a little hard and time consuming, and after buying tools and materials ... the total cost just about matches buying a ready one and the only savings are taxes and shipping. But the advantage is that you get to code your own custom sequences and the satisfaction of self-made lights.
What you will need is as follows:

Materials:
1 Arduino controller board. ( Adafruit Trinket or Trinket Pro.)
1 small rocker switch.
1 small push button
1 yard of red cable 24 or 26 ga.
1 yard of black cable 24 or 26 ga.
1/8", 1/4", 1/2" heat shrink tubing
1 9v battery. (a rechargable Lithium battery can be used as well , see Trinket documentation)
9 red high*luminosity leds
1 diffused red led (optional)
1 diffused blue led (optional)
3 resistors *60ohm (to be confirmed)
Solder and solder paste
(If you’re anything like me, buy x2 in case you screw up..)

Tools:
Soldering Iron for Electronics (static free)
Cable Snips
Helping hands
Rotary tool (Dremel or such)

So what I used is a little controller board from AdaFruit electronics called*Trinket which is arduino programable and ready to use, and is quite cheap (around $7 dlls). There is also a Trinket Pro which has more features, if you already know your way around electronics and arduino coding, give it a go perhaps you can integrate sound as well. (perhaps the respirator sound ... maybe?). You can find more about it here:Adafruit Trinket
One thing about the Trinket is it has only 3 analog pins that can be used with*PWM (Pulse With Modulation), which means they fade the light slowly on the leds. Those pins are numers 0, 1, 4. (*note:Trinket Pro has x2*PWM pins).
So those pins ; 0, 1, 4, will be the pins used for the slot lights.
Pin 3 will be the momentary push button to switch between sequences.
Pin 2 is optional for accesory lights, I use them to light up the blue and red acrylics slightly.
Pin BAT is for power or battery.
Pin Gnd is for Grounding the circuit.

And so, the diagram of the lights looks like this:View attachment 1050976

Now the slot leds I grouped them with the help of a pin board, and cut it with a rotary tool so to fix the resistor and have the leds evenly spaced. And because of all the grounding are* to be connected in order to close the circuit, I used a pin board again to connect them all together to try to keep the cables tidy. I tried to use as much shrink wrap as possible to protect the solders*and avoid the cables from breaking. I tell you more than 1 cable broke on me while soldering the others.

And this is what the completed lights rig looks like.View attachment 1050977View attachment 1050978

Now on to the sequence... The first sequence I defined is the "ESB Idle sequence" ; small pause between 6 and 7, and full pause in steps 8 and 10.View attachment 1050979

The second sequence I used is the "ESB Active sequence" ; with small pauses between 4 and 5, 6, and 7, 8 and 9, and full pause in steps 12 and 14.View attachment 1050980

Just for reference below are Fettronics and Anovos sequences. View attachment 1050981View attachment 1050982

Now to get the coding into the controller board, you will have to install the Arduino software, and download the Trinket software and Trinket firmware, connect the Trinket to your computer with a USB cable and upload the sketch (or code). Check the Trinket documentation for further indications on how to do so. Just download the sketch file, upload to the trinket and give it a run. Then you can customize it as you see fit.

*Note: I order to switch between sequences the pusht button must remain pressed thru the end of each cycle, so that the Trinket can read the button has been pushed. This is because I coded using the 'delay' command which does not allow the card to have any input until the delay command has finished. A more versatile way to code it is using 'time' commands which would allow the Trinket to read that the button is pressed at any time and switch sequences, but I found out about it after I was done and my programming abilities are not there yet.

Here is the arduino file:ESB_fade_w-button_rev1.1.ino
So here's a little demo of how my light setup is at the time.DIY Vader chestbox lights demo
Cheers!,
Hello JCGardea! This thread is great! Thank you for posting this. I was curious, do you think this same setup would still work with the 3.3v Trinket?

Also, curious what purpose the resistors here serve? I am curious if they are absolutely necessary or not?

Hello JCGardea! This thread is great! Thank you for posting this. I was curious, do you think this same setup would still work with the 3.3v Trinket?

Also, curious what purpose the resistors here serve? I am curious if they are absolutely necessary or not?
I kinda made the thing and forgot all about it. I have not updated my chestbox nor have I needed to. I guess it should still work, if anything processors get faster on newer versions, so some tweaking may be needed to adjust to the new speeds of newer processors.

The resistors are there because different color leds draw different power, if you put all the same current of them they could go out. So they are there to protect them, cause I guess nobody is thrilled to go back and re-weld a new led just as you finished putting it all together. I guess you could to that with the trinket, and i believe newer versions of it already do so. But I took a handyman approach and decided to have some additional protection.

Good luck!

I kinda made the thing and forgot all about it. I have not updated my chestbox nor have I needed to. I guess it should still work, if anything processors get faster on newer versions, so some tweaking may be needed to adjust to the new speeds of newer processors.

The resistors are there because different color leds draw different power, if you put all the same current of them they could go out. So they are there to protect them, cause I guess nobody is thrilled to go back and re-weld a new led just as you finished putting it all together. I guess you could to that with the trinket, and i believe newer versions of it already do so. But I took a handyman approach and decided to have some additional protection.

Good luck!
I am having a problem where my LEDs will run for like 15 min and then die. I am thinking maybe they are pulling too much power from the battery and draining it too fast? I don't have the resistors on there. Is that possible?

I wanted to also share how my "version" of this came out!

I started with the 5v Trinket, and added a 9v battery holder, with a door that'll mount in the back of the chest box. I am using a 3d printed chest box, along with the greebles, switches, etc printed on a resin printer. The rods currently are resin, but, currently working on turning aluminum ones on a lathe. The coin slots AND the translucent red parts are also printed in resin.

The big thing that may jump out, is the circuit boards that are used. Based on the digram, I created a simple set of PCB's to mount both the trinket to, and also the LED's for the coin slots.

The programming was modified to fit my own ROTJ version, along with adjusting the programming to have two modes for the ROTJ, one with the button lights on, one with the button lights off. I am using the switches themselves for power and mode. They will get a final modification of shaping and a new outer bezel to properly mimic the original bezels better.

thanks jcgardea for the great work!
IMG_6209.jpg
IMG_6210.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back