Steampunk Tesla Lamp - Finished

Lunajammer

Though I've been a student of steampunk for a few years, this is my first steampunk effort and will be a first for almost all the skills required. I wanted a functioning prop, not just a Nerf Maverick and not just a pipe lamp. I'm completely inspired by the work of Tony Cochran, who I think is a master of the genre (though it pertains to guitars).

I've already built the box and stained it, starting this thread was sort of an afterthought (sorry) so I need to take pics. This is my idea.

I bought a board, cut the lengths I need and distressed them using online techniques, like whacking with a chain, hammer pounding and walking them on landscaping rocks. Box built.

I tried making tinting goo by dissolving a fine wire pad in vinegar for a few days.

I didn't give it a lot of coats because it wasn't the color I was looking for, but here it is after staining and sanding. After this pic I just used regular wood stains to finish it, which I need to take pics of, hopefully tomorrow. But at least you can see a little dark abuse.

Last edited:
Re: Steampunk Tesla Lamp

If you’re planning on using black iron pipe and are located in the states, Lowe’s cuts and threads black iron pipe for free! I had a ton of it done when I built my desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re planning on using black iron pipe and are located in the states, Lowe’s cuts and threads black iron pipe for free! I had a ton of it done when I built my desk.

That is fantastic to know. Thanks Adam, I've committed to PVC pipe for this one (I think), but I can save a lot of money by buying the long pipes if they can be cut and threaded. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get.

Okay, I got some better pics after work tonight. Here's where the box sits now, this is the back.

I stained it in the fall and got around to adding the first copper pipes.

The black box was a photo box I found at a thrift store. It has a hinged cover made of glass with a brass frame. I'm putting a clock in there. I'm using foam insulation for support and I printed out a face that I like.

Don't underestimate the value of blister packaging. I think my car headlight bulb came in this I painted it using the salt technique for rusting and used a Vallajo (acrylic) wash to add some drips. Bronze tacks were crudely added. Pipes were stuck together with JB Weld epoxy glue.

Looking great so far! What kind of wood did you use?

Also fun tip for blister packages, I’ve had great luck getting them to open by using a can opener. Sounds crazy but works like a charm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the look so far.....
I see coils around the bulbs, are you going to be using high voltage/frequency to try to illuminate these bulbs or are they just for effect?

Looking great so far! What kind of wood did you use?

What kind of wood? Cheap. I think it's finish pine on top and just some pine ply on the sides. The wood blemish near the blister object I think actually helps the presentation. As a self-ascribed cheapskate, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on this, but as things go you get emotionally invested and start wanting to not cut corners. My only power tool is a cordless drill so I borrowed a table saw for the boards.

I love the look so far.....
I see coils around the bulbs, are you going to be using high voltage/frequency to try to illuminate these bulbs or are they just for effect?

That would be pretty cool indeed, but no, just for effect. I'm barely smart enough to wire a switch.

This was the inspiration for the whole project. Though I'm probably old enough to be Papa to some of you folks, you're never too old to love your dad and never too old to love rummaging through his cool stuff. This was in a plumbing drawer in his garage from our old kitchen sink. No idea why he'd keep such junk but it's the crowning piece of this lamp.

The bronze cover in the front thankfully is big enough to fit a switch, which I shimmed with a few washers and secured it all with JB Weld.

I found this in my basement. When I bought my house I told the seller that he could leave all his junky stuff, I'd clear it out for him if it would help the sale. I've been drawing from his leftovers for years. I've ground out the inside of the hub to fit the rotary lamp switch.

And it will look like so....

Last edited:

I've scrounged parts from the usual places and this came from the Habitat for Humanity Restore. Electricians can tell you what it is, but it's a space filler for me that I've blackened. I've also blackened the brass finish washers, the one on the left is untreated.

This is the stuff I'm using for almost everything. I found it by accident at a colored glass repair shop. Best suited for lead, solder, brass and copper, but adequate for other metals where it sometimes rubs off. But mixed patinas is part of the freedom that steampunking affords.

This came out of a toy at the thrift store. I removed the motor, cut part of the front off to expose the gears and secured them with JB Weld (since the cover wasn't there to keep them contained). Gave it a spritz of spray paint and tarnished them with a Vallejo acrylic wash. Added a couple screws with brass finish washers.

Cool project. Too bad you couldn’t incorporate some Nixie tubes into it:
40876A54-2143-46DA-8A1B-361B6D308CBB.jpeg
72075AFD-B39B-4F51-955A-17B608D4825E.jpg

Absolutely! No doubt. I looked into them and tried watching videos, but I never totally understood how they work and they seemed kind of expensive. But mostly because at this point I only know enough about electricity to wire a lamp anything more and I'd be dangerous.

Absolutely! No doubt. I looked into them and tried watching videos, but I never totally understood how they work and they seemed kind of expensive. But mostly because at this point I only know enough about electricity to wire a lamp anything more and I'd be dangerous.
I was going to look into getting one of the clock kits but I too am not sure once it gets here that I will know how to assemble it correctly and wire it up to use. :lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back